Tuning 1.2 tuning - any good?

Currently reading:
Tuning 1.2 tuning - any good?

fiataccompli

Has anybody had a tune-up with a chip, or similar, for the somewhat uninspiring 1.2 engine? The figures given by the companies who undertake this don't seem that radical, but I'm wondering what the real-world experience is like. Can anyone comment?

Thanks - Pete

Which year is your Panda, mine is a 2018 1.2 Pop which is Euro 6 which can be quite bad in terms of pulling away & bottom end torque, anyhow I have just fitted a BMC air filter element(factory fitment in some Abarths) in the factory housing Part No FB455/01 & I have to say I have noticed quite a difference in pulling away, hill starts & bottom to mid rev range is a bit more responsive as well, it pretty much feels as it should now with a tiny bit of a throatier note & a bit more nippy😁 I didn't really think it would make that much difference but I suppose being Euro 6 where it is so restricted anythings an improvement, eventually I'm thinking of a throttle body of a Punto 1.4 8v Fire, 16v won't go as it's a completely different setup with air boxes etc

Which year is your Panda, mine is a 2018 1.2 Pop which is Euro 6 which can be quite bad in terms of pulling away & bottom end torque, anyhow I have just fitted a BMC air filter element(factory fitment in some Abarths) in the factory housing Part No FB455/01 & I have to say I have noticed quite a difference in pulling away, hill starts & bottom to mid rev range is a bit more responsive as well, it pretty much feels as it should now with a tiny bit of a throatier note & a bit more nippy😁 I didn't really think it would make that much difference but I suppose being Euro 6 where it is so restricted anythings an improvement, eventually I'm thinking of a throttle body of a Punto 1.4 8v Fire, 16v won't go as it's a completely different setup with air boxes etc
Thanks FiatMatt94 - that's interesting to know. Hill starts and the like (mine's also a 2018, a City Cross) are where the engine feels a bit unenthusiastic. I suppose a better air filter AND a tuning chip couldn't hurt, now could it...

Pete

Thanks FiatMatt94 - that's interesting to know. Hill starts and the like (mine's also a 2018, a City Cross) are where the engine feels a bit unenthusiastic. I suppose a better air filter AND a tuning chip couldn't hurt, now could it...

Pete
I'm not too sure about those tuning chips, but the air filter is inside the standard housing so still looks stock, I'm not usually one for tuning much but the Panda needed just that little bit of help in the lower end of the rev range, if I do any sort of tuning I prefer to use factory parts where I can like the BMC filter being what they use in Abarths, I hate K&N filters with a passion but this BMC one seems to actually work & improve it, if I decide to do any more small mods such as throttle bodies etc it will be genuine parts of another Fiat with the same FIRE engine but a 1400 8v, I did look into & consider converting from the thin steel sump to the genuine aluminium one of the 16v FIRE lumps but it looks like a lot of work & it doesn't seem as if anyone has attempted it either 😂

Sounds like I shall have to pull the trigger on the air filter, then, but I'm still mulling over the chip idea.

And the idea of the 1.4 engine is very appealing. I had a 100HP and that had pretty much the best all-round engine of any car I've owned - sprightly enough to be fun, but not too fierce, and acceptably economical. Sounded appealing too... now that would be an interesting upgrade!

I suppose a better air filter AND a tuning chip couldn't hurt, now could it...
Just be aware that a freer flowing air filter will make no difference whatsoever except when the car is running at full throttle.

but the Panda needed just that little bit of help in the lower end of the rev range
Try running on premium grade fuel; the difference at the lower end of the rev range might surprise you. I've not tried this on the Euro 6 engine, but on the Euro 4, there's a noticeable improvement.

Last edited:
Back