Technical 1.2 diff oil seals

Currently reading:
Technical 1.2 diff oil seals

crad20

Have a bit of a leak on the N/S gearbox diff oil seal where the driveshaft enters.
Its a G.P 1.2 2007 model
I think the seal i need is fiat 40004620 or Febi 12107 ?
Does the flange around the seal need to be unbolted to change this? or is it straightforward to prise the old seal out and tap in a new one?
Any tips appreciated , thanks.

You got two seals in there atually: a "liped" one for the shaft and an "O-ring" for the flange itself, the later obviously needs flange removal while the V seal can possibly be extracted (and dammaged) with the flange on.
I would anyway recommend to remove the flange so you can have a clear visual inspection. No need to worry about the output bearing pre-load if you don't replace it…

BRs, Bernie

If someone here helped You fix -or better, understand- your issue, hit the thanks icon @ bottom right corner, it's free and makes us feel helpy ;-)

Attachments

• 514 left shaft cutout.JPG
    514 left shaft cutout.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 75
Thanks for that Bernievarian, ive ordered the lipped seal.
If i remove the flange that is bolted on, i believe there are some shims behind it. Would these come out too?
Cheers for now.

Here's how it looks with the flange removed … The "shim" is the output bearing preload ring.

BRs, Bernie

If someone here helped You fix -or better, understand- your issue, hit the thanks icon @ bottom right corner, it's free and makes us feel helpy ;-)

Attachments

• Differential bearing preload ring.JPG
    Differential bearing preload ring.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 64
Very valuable info (multi)Pete !! Didn't knew about that offset !!

BRs, Bernie

Back