Register Login
endrop - for all your online needs
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2008   #1
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Stavanger
Posts: 36
Thanks: 1
Trader Rating: 0
Alfa The Awesome has donated!
Norway 
Question Service question?

My 1.2 Stilo is due for a service next week, but i have a question before i pay 400pounds !!! (norway) i would like to know some things.

If i serviced it myself is it possible to reset the service computer? and if so how, i know how to do it on VW,s but not on FIATS.

and secondly, if i serviced it myself would it cause a problem by not going on a computer to check things? what i mean is do FIAT plug it in on a service and reset anything electronicly that has to be done?

P.S. it is on its 40.000km service so its a very low milage car, and it runs perfectly....

and lastly, apart from the obvious, oil, filter, air filter, plugs etc is there anything else i should change at this service, thanks.....
__________________

Quote Quote:
I cant do that, i think i love her
Stuff it, Lolita you are a nasty bag of s^&t who only uses men for there body....i meen, you invite me over for coffee, then you just want sex, what kind of a women are you?
2 points please
Alfa The Awesome is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 10-06-2008   #2
It's about GO! not SHOW!
 
Argonought's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: POOLE, Dorset
Posts: 7,335
Thanks: 340
Blog Entries: 1
Trader Rating: 0
Argonought has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Service question?

You need Examiner to properly reset the service counter and only dealers and the better specialist Fiat garages will have one.

However, you don't need to spend 400 to have it reset.

If your Stilo is over 3 years old then you could have a Bronze service under Fiat Care (less than 100 in the UK) and get both your service book stamped AND get the service counter reset. You can then do all the other more involved checks yourself.

Don't forget there's nothing to stop you taking it to any garage and getting them to agree to reset the counter (which then becomes a contract in UK law if they do). The garage must then pay to have a Fiat dealer reset the counter. I actually did this two years running!
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Stilo Dynamic 5 door JTD {150} 02 model in Metallic Grigio Steel with Skyroof & 16" Alloys Mods: New standard springs all round; Tyres: FALKEN ZIEX ZE912; Oil: Mobil 1 TD 0W-40 fully synthetic
Argonought is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 10-06-2008   #3
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Stavanger
Posts: 36
Thanks: 1
Trader Rating: 0
Alfa The Awesome has donated!
Norway 
Re: Service question?

Quote Originally Posted by Argonought View Post
You need Examiner to properly reset the service counter and only dealers and the better specialist Fiat garages will have one.

However, you don't need to spend 400 to have it reset.

If your Stilo is over 3 years old then you could have a Bronze service under Fiat Care (less than 100 in the UK) and get both your service book stamped AND get the service counter reset. You can then do all the other more involved checks yourself.

Don't forget there's nothing to stop you taking it to any garage and getting them to agree to reset the counter (which then becomes a contract in UK law if they do). The garage must then pay to have a Fiat dealer reset the counter. I actually did this two years running!

that all sounds great but i live in NORWAY

So there is no secret way of having the service reset with my own fair hands, not even a secret hold down left indicator whilst pressing brake and adjusting the clock etc?
__________________

Quote Quote:
I cant do that, i think i love her
Stuff it, Lolita you are a nasty bag of s^&t who only uses men for there body....i meen, you invite me over for coffee, then you just want sex, what kind of a women are you?
2 points please
Alfa The Awesome is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 10-06-2008   #4
NobodyBlamesTheHappyGuy!
 
Morty Mort's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 69 North
Posts: 2,831
Thanks: 134
Trader Rating: 2
Morty Mort has donated!
Norway 
Re: Service question?

Hei.

You have to use the Examiner. No way around. Ask for a price first. The guys at MotorForum Sandnes are reasonable people and very friendly. It takes top 10 minutes to fire up the gear and attach it. I've been in the garage while it was done. The last time I reset the service light I negotiated the price to 150 NOK (in Kristiansand) including an Examiner read/print-out of other issues (like cigarette lighter and side airbag codes due to weak battery), which they reset.

I usually do the service myself, ofcourse it is limited to what I can and can't do, but like you I don't like spending 400 GBP (which was half of what I was quoted last time at 60.000 km / 6 years). So I took it to NAF (for UK members it's an independent car organisation who don't fix things, and has nothing to earn finding faults) and paid a "driftstest" (a service test) for about 100 GBP. No faults except the battery needed charging.

The 1.2 litre, is it a FIRE engine?

Hilsen Morten.
__________________
jet blue. eibach pro system. omp bar. gsr in. supersprint out. hella eyes. phoenix gold watts.

member of the 5-door massive attack.

Last edited by Morty Mort; 10-06-2008 at 09:42.
Morty Mort is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 10-06-2008   #5
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Stavanger
Posts: 36
Thanks: 1
Trader Rating: 0
Alfa The Awesome has donated!
Norway 
Re: Service question?

Quote Originally Posted by Morty Mort View Post
Hei.

You have to use the Examiner. No way around. Ask for a price first. The guys at MotorForum Sandnes are reasonable people and very friendly. It takes top 10 minutes to fire up the gear and attach it. I've been in the garage while it was done. The last time I reset the service light I negotiated the price to 150 NOK (in Kristiansand) including an Examiner read/print-out of other issues (like cigarette lighter and side airbag codes due to weak battery), which they reset.

I usually do the service myself, ofcourse it is limited to what I can and can't do, but like you I don't like spending 400 GBP (which was half of what I was quoted last time at 60.000 km / 6 years). So I took it to NAF (for UK members it's an independent car organisation who don't fix things, and has nothing to earn finding faults) and paid a "driftstest" (a service test) for about 100 GBP. No faults except the battery needed charging.

The 1.2 litre, is it a FIRE engine?

Hilsen Morten.

its the 1.2 16v 80hp unit, in a 2004 3 door stilo, i bought the car from fiat in sandnes, i am just trying to save a bit as i do about 45000km a year, thats 2x services a year and its a bit costley...

you live in christiansand do you know of any company that supplies only or supplies and fits LPG? i know of one in sandnes but they are SOOOOOOOOOOO expensive, any company names or numbers would be appreciated
__________________

Quote Quote:
I cant do that, i think i love her
Stuff it, Lolita you are a nasty bag of s^&t who only uses men for there body....i meen, you invite me over for coffee, then you just want sex, what kind of a women are you?
2 points please
Alfa The Awesome is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 11-06-2008   #6
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Stavanger
Posts: 36
Thanks: 1
Trader Rating: 0
Alfa The Awesome has donated!
Norway 
Re: Service question?

i have booke dit in to Fiat as it may be easier then, i got the price wrong, its not 400pounds, its 500 pounds !!!!!!!!! holy crap Norway is expensive !!!!!!!!!!!
__________________

Quote Quote:
I cant do that, i think i love her
Stuff it, Lolita you are a nasty bag of s^&t who only uses men for there body....i meen, you invite me over for coffee, then you just want sex, what kind of a women are you?
2 points please
Alfa The Awesome is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 13-06-2008   #7
cleaned
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Uttoxeter, Stoke
Posts: 2,462
Thanks: 47
Trader Rating: 0
coyle has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Service question?

im due a service, mines a 1.4 on 20,000miles. how much should i be paying?
Ive been quoted 140, inc all parts etc
__________________
coyle is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 13-06-2008   #8
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Stavanger
Posts: 36
Thanks: 1
Trader Rating: 0
Alfa The Awesome has donated!
Norway 
Re: Service question?

Quote Originally Posted by coyle View Post
im due a service, mines a 1.4 on 20,000miles. how much should i be paying?
Ive been quoted 140, inc all parts etc
you lucky lucky lucky man, if my service was only 140pounds i would but it in every month lol.....
__________________

Quote Quote:
I cant do that, i think i love her
Stuff it, Lolita you are a nasty bag of s^&t who only uses men for there body....i meen, you invite me over for coffee, then you just want sex, what kind of a women are you?
2 points please
Alfa The Awesome is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 17-06-2008   #9
cleaned
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Uttoxeter, Stoke
Posts: 2,462
Thanks: 47
Trader Rating: 0
coyle has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Service question?

its being services tomorrow. the garage which does all my body work is doin it for me for 80
and that is stamped book, and maintained warranty etc
__________________
coyle is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Reply
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(G) Active Sport Service Question jelangley Grande Punto 1 17-03-2008 14:35
(T) service question zaczg Cinquecento / Seicento 6 17-08-2006 15:27
(T) Fuel Economy post service - and anyone know how to reset service thing? moogs Stilo 1 24-06-2005 09:43
(T) Service question dropthepuck Stilo 3 25-05-2005 10:35