Technical Ive got an interesting one

Currently reading:
Technical Ive got an interesting one

Lights on the dash should be treated as too late lights! When the oil light finaly comes on it means you've knackered your engine! Oil light isn't a oil level indicator but a pressure light, and it'll be at something like 4lb.ft by which point the top of the engine will be shagged!

Some cars have a seperate oil level gauge, the Saxo VTS has one, problem is they are never as accurate as actually whipping out the dipstick and checking it with your own eye! :D

Right where is my rep.... you get it for old rope these days!

StiloBoy said:
Lights on the dash should be treated as too late lights! When the oil light finaly comes on it means you've knackered your engine! Oil light isn't a oil level indicator but a pressure light, and it'll be at something like 4lb.ft by which point the top of the engine will be shagged!

Some cars have a seperate oil level gauge, the Saxo VTS has one, problem is they are never as accurate as actually whipping out the dipstick and checking it with your own eye! :D

Don't fully agree, if the light just comes on for a couple of seconds and then goes off- probably not damaged engine, the pressure inside the engine when the light comes on still has a little to decay and there will be plenty still around. Still needs checking though.
I can't comment on the value given above as it's a torque for some reason ! ! ! ! Though normally expressed as lb.ft.... Guess you mean psi or bars ? ? but not sure.

However, if the light stays on for more time, I would be seriously worried. Obviously, the longer the light on, the more severe the damage done.

Hope that makes sense to some one

Back