Fastest Car In The World?

Currently reading:
Fastest Car In The World?

Liam

hi friends :waves:
It is the 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Lingerfelter. It has a V-8 Twin turbo 802 horespower engine, yet only a few models were ever produced. The price on the car is about 165,000 dollars. It does 0-60 in 2.0 seconds and the quarter mile in 9.2/150 Mph, its top speed is around 262 Mph. There are some motorcycles faster than this car, but there is no other production car ever made for the road that has a faster 0-60 Mph range or a higher top speed. There are however many more cars with more horsepower. This particular Corvette is doing 109 Mph while a Lamborgiuni countash is only at 87 Mph in 5.9 seconds. This car can do 71 Mph in first gear, and if there was an open road from Boston to San Fransico this car has the stamina to cruise at 230 Mph for over 6 hours at a time. you could go coast to coast in about 13 hours.

Lingenfelter Corvette

HP: 802 @ 4600
Lbs./FT: 866 @ 3600
0-60: 1.97 sec
0-100: 4.33 sec
1/4 Mile: 9.24 sec @ 150.27 mph
Top Speed: 240 mph (est)
Lat Accel: 1.01g

???????????????????????????

Liam

can just see it now:
And now on the dragstrip Ladies and Gents, we have lane one - Corvette Lingerfelter and in Lane two we have Cinquecento Sporting....Game on!

It'd be like that mpeg Rich sent me ages ago of the Goped and Chevy!

Hmm....id bet its a bit scary once yu ask it to turn slightly...Nice oversteer and 4 wheel drifting... :D

brickfoot said:
Like pete said to me.... "Balls like coconuts!" That Goped was mental! How it managed to beat the Chevy is beyond me! :confused:
How the little kid was wearing just a t-shirt was beyond me!!!

I'm sure paul will help me out here knowing about these kindda of things but.....

Isn't there a certain speed 0-60 etc... that a car would never get faster than?

(Production i mean obviously not a drag car etc....)

Hmmm, I expect so for several reasons (I honestly don't know 100% and as I wrote this I was changing my mind):

Drag - the faster it goes, even if say a raindrop shape, it will still reach a point where drag will play too much of an affect at a guess.

Friction - There's going to be a point where getting power down is impossible

Now, scrap that, new thoughts:

No, you should always be able to go faster (except when relativity plays a part :p)

There's just one or two major considerations: You have the power to increase the acceleration and also the means to put the power down (If that required rollers instead of wheels then so be it :p)

But that rules out being a "production car" I suppose. It is an interesting question, I personally believe practically yes there will be a maximum reached (possibly this car at 2 seconds lol) but theoretically I am not sure it's true.

If you increase the power and increase the downforce to put the power to the ground [theoretically IMO] there's no maximum.

However, it's not like I have ever given this thought before today other than when I was doing 1/4 mile times on Live for speed and was surprised and the smallish difference between my fastest in a crazy car to my slowest in a tuned 1.3 litre. I was trying to consider why that happens but then I felt hungry so went for dinner ;)

Jamie, I went and did a bit of research and found the following:

We're often asked whether we can produce a simple 0-60 mph calculator to determine a car's theoretical 0-60 time based on a few simple criteria such as its weight and power (bhp or brake horse power).

Our answer's always been a fairly emphatic no; at least in theory. There are simply too many factors that can affect a car's acceleration:-

BHP - Brake Horse Power
Car performance figures are normally quoted as their maximum power and this isn't always available to the driver as at any given road speed, in a given gear the engine won't be achieving maximum power except for a brief period, normally just before the gear change. However, in practice, during a fast 0-60 test the driver is able to achieve pretty close to the theoretical maximum power by a) slipping the clutch, b) spinning the tyres, and c) leaving the gear change (where necessary) until the last possible moment so that when second is taken at a speed that puts the car close to its maximum power.

Tyre Adhesion
At the start of a timed run the driver will spin the wheels to get maximum power from the car, and the ability of the tyres to turn the power delivered to them into forward motion is paramount. The more powerful the car, the more difficult a job the wheels and tyres have to deliver that power to the road. Their work is significantly affected by the layout of the car, with rear wheel drive cars putting down the power quite well, and four wheel drive cars doing an even better job of converting the engine's power into forward motion. On the whole though, car designers do of course take all these factors into account, with the more powerful cars tending to have designs that do a good job of putting down the power available. So the variation caused by this factor is significant, it doesn't make it impossible to calculate a car's theoretical acceleration.

Driver Skill
This one of course is a major factor, unless you're driving a BMW M3 with launch control. Dump the clutch too fast and the engine looses revs, or else the tyres just spin. And if a gear change is required it has to be executed at the right time, with speed and accuracy. However, we can assume for the purposes of this calculation that the driver is reasonably skilled so this factor can all but be eliminated for manual cars.

External Resistance
At lower speeds, the rolling resistance and air resistance have little effect, but towards the sixty miles per hour point both start to play a part. However, if we confine our analysis to sports cars, we find that they tend to have similar cDs (Co-efficients of Drag) for this not to be a major factor.

Internal Resistance
Again, we find that in general these cars are similar to each other in terms of the resistance of their internal components that this doesn't make a major difference. However, if we include true automatics in the equation the situation is very different, and it's hard to factor this in.

Gearbox Technology
Some 'automatic manuals' such as the latest BMW systems can be just as efficient as a manual, and the DSG systems being developed by manufacturers such as Audi should be every bit as efficient as a manual, and should also change gear faster than any human using a conventional box. So for now, we're going to assume we're talking about regular manual sports cars. Gearbox ratios also play a part in making it possible to keep the car in its power band during the trial.

I am posting it now and commenting on each section when it's easier to view without me doing lots of scrolling.

Remember I am doign this theoretically now, not production car style really.

BHP - As far as I know there's no limit on BHP, you can always get larger (obviously you get extra weight etc. but the weight is outdone by the power provided so theoretically you have infinte BHP)

Tyre Adhesion - This is one of the major considerations IMO if you're looking at unlimited power you would need pretty much unlimited adhesion to the road so counting out fantastically huge rollers (it's looking less like a car every second lol) you would probably need a toothed track to run on?

Driver Skill - on this super-dooper car we would have a computer to do all that for you ;)

External Resistance - Another major problem for me, increase 0-60 time => greater external drag from air molecules => go any faster, needs more power => needs more adhesion and so on

Internal Resistance - I have lost will to comment lol, this is far too theoretically to talk about internal resistance, call it negligible ;)

Gearbox Technology - as above :p

Practically I would say there's a maximum so all this was pointless.

Back