Technical Before you get the tools out...

Currently reading:
Technical Before you get the tools out...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know what you're gonna do - you'll take a look at the first line and stop there. Safety may not be the most stimulating of topics, but you can't enjoy your little car if you're laid up with a broken hand or squashed under a jack that's failed, can you?
Please take the time to read this, it's good advice.

Thanks to John H for taking the time to write this.

Don't work underneath the car relying only on the jack supplied, or a trolley jack on its own.

Axle stands or ramps are good, as are heavy pieces of timber ( don't use stones or bricks as they can crumble without warning ) and securely chock the wheels which are still on the ground as the handbrake is not too good (see other FAQ). you need the handbrake off anyway while working on the rear brakes.

It is possible to roll the car off axle stands if you're pulling hard.

Work on the flattest, hardest surface you can use. To avoid churning the "tarmac" surface I use I have a selection of 15mm ply off-cuts which go under whatever jacks and supports I'm using: they spread the load, and stop the axle stands slowly digging in. You can even hear the wood complaining if you start to load up one leg of the stand too much…

Another belt and braces trick is to lie the removed wheel under the car near where you're working, preferably under heavy or structural parts: that few inches of the wheel thickness may make all the difference.

While working on the floor, opened out (large) corrugated cardboard boxes make dry, warm, and slightly softer places to sit or lie. If it's under the sump when you do an oil change the inevitable spillage won't go directly on the floor. ( oil destroys tarmac ).

Old used engine oil is nasty stuff, and best kept off skin as much as possible - barrier cream or gloves help, but gloves usually tear. A good cleaner like swarfega afterwards helps.

Brake dust is nasty too - they don't use asbestos in the linings these days, but if you're working on an older car there may still be asbestos dust there. (masks are cheap)

If there's even the remotest chance of pieces flying about (angle grinding, or even wire-brushing muck off parts) use some goggles - you've only the one pair of eyes, and they don't grow back .

John H 10/6/2003

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back