Technical all my powers gone :(

Currently reading:
Technical all my powers gone :(

arc

this is where i stand
wondering if anyone might be able to shed some light on this, i was driving flat out on the m'way. the car felt like it had less power than normal, and then it made a noise like i'd dropped the clutch (not revving, just the induction noise). after that the car had no power, and idles very roughly.

i need the car working so i can go on hols tomorrow, so il prolly take it to the garage but just wondering if anyone has any idea what might have caused it, so i know how much to expect to pay :(

my first thought was the timing belt has slipped a tooth, and brickfoot thinks it may be down to timing too.

cheers

mark

i supose a coil pack could of gone down, thats a pretty common fault with those simptoms. :D

-=[uno 1.0ie RAAAWW!]=-
-=[fiat tech for what it's worth.]=-

is that something that'd give reduced power as it was failing, as the car didnt feel right previous to this. could changing the plugs have provoked it?

did u run over some kryptonite ?

Bar_4.bmp

well last night (at around 1am!) i swapped the HT with some off chris' sei. Same thing. I thought the best way to check the coil packs, was to pull the HT leads off both. I did this on the on the one that feeds no2 and no4. It ran rough, but not a lot rougher than it was running with them both connected. I reconnected no2, and fired her up. It ran the same as when i had no2 and no4 connected. I reconnected no4, and again it ran like it was plugged in. So it looks like its missing/not firing at all on no4. I took it to the garage this morning and explained it all to the mechanic and hes having a look asap.. but for now i need to get to work.. only 1hour 30 late so far :I]

Its still running like a sack of spanners. its not the plugs, not the leads, not the coil packs. its spitting fuel out the throttle body and wont idle smooth. it has no power. theres fuel in the line that goes to my vacuum gauge, but none in the tube to the map sensor.

i need the car to work.. i was suppose to be going on holiday today :(

the plugs i had fitted last week were super 4s, and they're all sooted up.. in under a week. so from my limited scope of things i'd say its majorly over fueling.

i dont know.. it had a compression test done, 175 on all cylinders bar one. number 3, which was down at around 135. he thinks it could be down to the headgasket.. which i didnt want to hear. would a blown headgasket cause it to blow fuel out the throttle body tho

Originally posted by arc
i dont know.. it had a compression test done, 175 on all cylinders bar one. number 3, which was down at around 135. he thinks it could be down to the headgasket.. which i didnt want to hear. would a blown headgasket cause it to blow fuel out the throttle body tho

nope, i wouldnt say so.
headgasgets nearly allways go on cylinder 1 and 135 dont sound that bad too me, its only a fire engine.

-=[uno 1.0ie RAAAWW!]=-
-=[fiat tech for what it's worth.]=-

i really think its down to the timing, or could a defunct lambda do the same.

does it not suggest a problem if one cylinder is lower than the rest like that?

Well, the ECU should solve the overfuelling, but both my engines (1242 and 1108) were both covered in carbon internally, so I think that ECU runs slightly rich anyway

Tom (AofB)

95 Cinq Sporting - Rattly GrpN Catback Exhaust, <font color="black">Buckets</font id="black"> and 3pt Harnesses,Sexy VW styleé dials (that look great, but dont work!! :)D)), 10" Sub and 6x9's, ETech Wing. Lots of Dirt!
1242cc Engine in car, not starting, boot delock soon, K+N still in garage!

When you start Cinqs up there roten of fuel until it heats up anyway so that would explain the carbon.

Funny one this Arc, when was your fuel filter last changed? A guy on the Cinqs&Sei's list posted this: -

My '97 sporting was losing power very gradually and I changed the
timing belt, checked compression and did all the usual stuff. The
car would make power to 3,500 revs and simply stop accelerating - I
suspected ignition coils, ignition timing the lot. A mate suggested
I change the fuel filter under the car and see if helped and after a
five minute swap the damn thing is faster than it ever was. Anyone
got a Cinq that seems to be aging prematurely - this might be the
cause. I've been reading the forum for ages - I posted looking for
other readers in Ireland but so far no-one interested.

Pete, well done on the turbo 1242 - stick up some pics when you get a
chance.

Cheers,

David

Liam
edited due to my poor atempts at manual forum coding:(

'97 Cinq Sporting, Imola Blue, Bumpers inserts and some parts painted red to colur code with seat belts,K&N, Janspeed S1 System, Tarox X drilled n grooved disc, SPAX ADJ. Dampers, Eibach Springs, Eibach Anti roll bar kit, OMP lower strut brace and some ICE

il check that, but i dont think its a fuel supply problem as there is plenty coming in to shoot back out the throttle body

ive been on hols for a week, going to take the car to a mate tomorrow and see what he thinks... i still think timing

ok, its had a quick diagnostic done.

chemical tested the coolant, that showed the head gasket hasnt gone.

vacuum is closer to atmopshere than it used to be, and it flickers slightly even when being reved (never used to do that)

it was wired up to the gas analysier thingy, and the emissions where all over the show. too much o2 in there, and lots of hydrocarbons.. unburnt fuel.

he reckons it could be a stuck valve, or maybe an ECU fault, or a fuel supply fault. Going to leave it with him next week so he can have a proper look around it.

any other ideas?

Oooh! Sounds similar to what mine did, fuel spitting and all.

Mine wouldnt Idle reliably, im currently checking cam shim tolerances, cos it all seems to be in time!

Ive been advised it may be stuck valves, or the tappets being set far too tight may cause a problem- 3 exhaust valves and 1 inlet aree currently too tight!

Give us some feedback on results...Its very similar if not identical to my problem, except mine kills the idle (so its probably yures plus a bit!):D

Tom (AofB)

95 Cinq GTi 1242cc - GrpN Catback Exhaust, <font color="black">Buckets</font id="black"> and 3pt Harnesses,Sexy VW styleé dials (that look great, but dont work!! :)D)), 10" Sub and 6x9's, ETech Wing. Lots of Dirt!
boot delock soon, Induction in development!

Out of suggestion - get some normal spark plugs.. I had some super 4's on my 899cc and it cough very bad, rough the lot, like yours above. Cardon the lot,

I changed to NAK (SP?) ones? and its alot better and works - now you have cardon in the engine it will take a while to clear out. So give it a few tankfuls of Optimax to clean it out.

Try them.

Mike

Shopping List:

-40mm Lowing Springs
Cadamuro Rear Spoiler
Window Tints
Scrapped 1.2 Punto

its running on std plugs now, i swapped them out when i put new HT leads on.

its not been driven a lot since then, il drive around some more and bung some optimax in

cheers

If its running better than before without the "shudder" from the engine you can say its the sparks. When I took mine back to Halfords they were a little shocked at the carbon that has built up in a short time. They claimed that i brought the wrong ones. Quick check with them and it was the correct set for the sei/cinq 899. So a bad batch IMO - I also added a new set of HT leads as well. Could it be the clearance is wrong on the sparks?

Shopping List:

-40mm Lowing Springs
Cadamuro Rear Spoiler
Window Tints
Scrapped 1.2 Punto

Back