General 1242 Conversion Exhaust System

Currently reading:
General 1242 Conversion Exhaust System

hi there,
just wondering what exhaust systems people have on their cinq 1242 conversions, as mine starts on monday i've also got a BMC CDA, Mckcrich chip and 40mm TB to fit to the 1242, but i will get it all up and running with just the stock 1242 lump first! that way i can feel the benefits as i add the extra bits afterwards!

what exhaust system(s) do people think i should match up with this setup?

many thanks!(y)

Lenny

Any performance Cinq system should do the job fine, coupled with either a lengthened standard Cinq 1108 manifold/downpipe or a performance 1242 manifold.

i run a slightly modified early punto60 supersprint manifold into a custom decated flexy section, into stock centre pipe and then to supersprint backbox.

once the car can drive to the garage - the centre pipe will be replaced with stainless.

Attachments

• 1_manifold.jpg
    1_manifold.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 3,734
  • 2_decat_flexy.jpg
    2_decat_flexy.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 3_backbox.jpg
    3_backbox.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 4_tailpipe.jpg
    4_tailpipe.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
The SS manifold is a little short and might need a slight modification to fully clear the bottom of the sump/gearbox. If you can get old of a CSC exhaust use that as it's split like the 'cento SPI exhaust manifold. You can then get a spacer made up for it and retain under engine clearance.

what's modified about your punto 60 manifold arc? i'm thinking of fitting the punto supersprint manifold to mine then a decat section into a supersprint backbox, would this work? or would the route of the cinq SS backbox be all wrong because of the punto manifold?

thanks again

Lenny

Will and 1108cc Supersprint manifold fit with the 1242cc engine?

Doubt it - there's about a half inch difference between the block heights (the 1242 being the taller). The standard 1108 manifold would need lengthening via a spacer.

what's modified about your punto 60 manifold arc? i'm thinking of fitting the punto supersprint manifold to mine then a decat section into a supersprint backbox, would this work? or would the route of the cinq SS backbox be all wrong because of the punto manifold?

thanks again

Lenny

mine is the early cinq manifold / punto 60 manifold. afaik they are the same part - but are hard to source now.

it had the knuckle joint cut off, and now has a slot and clamp type thing on it to hold the decat pipe in. because of this, i added a flexy to the decat pipe. i have also had the OE cat cut up and a pipe welded on so that it is the same size as my decat pipe - meaning if it turns out i do need to run with a cat, i can just remove the decat and slot the cat back in.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
hmm i see now, what about the punto manifold that is shown on the supersprint site?, like this one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SUPERSRINT-EX...ryZ38786QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem any chance of fitting one like that? or would i be better sticking to the cinq shape ones?

thanks again!

that *should* fit. looks the same as mine. like i say, just needs the centre section / decat modified to make it fit properly, but it'll fit the head and clear the sump and exit in the correct place under the car.

to fit my manifold, modify it, modify the OE cat, and bung in a decat cost me about £50 at powerflow in stafford

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
where was the spacer made up for? where the downpipe joins the manifold? or where the manifold joins the head?

cheers

As the pics show it needs to have two ports though... I just got mine done at a local enginering place took them a couple of hours
Between the manifold and the next section one sec prob have pics in my albums somewhere....

EDIT:pictures paint a thousand words ;)

DSC00352.JPG

DSC00351.JPG

DSC00297.JPG

DSC00298.JPG

Last edited:
Back