Register Login
The UK's No.1 Chrysler Owners Forum
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2009   #1
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
loud noise braking on a hill

My car sometimes makes quite a loud grinding noise when im braking on a hill and have my clutch down, sounds abit like a jet plane, doesnt happen all the time and there is no other noises when braking etc other than that.
any one have any idea whats up?
thankyouu
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

NpP is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 04-11-2009   #2
Telford's Own...
 
Ffoxy's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 9,824
Thanks: 373
Trader Rating: 0
Ffoxy has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: loud noise braking on a hill

Quote Originally Posted by NpP View Post
My car sometimes makes quite a loud grinding noise when im braking on a hill and have my clutch down, sounds abit like a jet plane, doesnt happen all the time and there is no other noises when braking etc other than that.
any one have any idea whats up?
thankyouu
Take off the front wheels and see that you have at least a consistent and even 2mm of brake pad lining on your pads, if all OK check the rears. Are the discs flat or scored with a lip at the edge? If so it might make sense to replace the discs & pads, while you are at it change the brake fluid... brakes are essential safety items not just for you but other road users
__________________
Ex Suzuki SV1000S jockey, now a former 1.9 MJet Grande Punto Sporting pilot curently driving a Hyundai i30 1.6 Premium.
Ffoxy is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 04-11-2009   #3
Autotest Special
 
rallycinq's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 23,408
Thanks: 1144
Blog Entries: 3
Trader Rating: 1
rallycinq has donated!
British Indian Ocean Territories 
Re: loud noise braking on a hill

Why are you braking on a hill with the clutch down?

Dangerous

Cheers

SPD
__________________
rallycinq is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 04-11-2009   #4
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
Re: loud noise braking on a hill

Quote Originally Posted by rallycinq View Post
Why are you braking on a hill with the clutch down?

Dangerous

Cheers

SPD

As im stopping so the car doesn't stall..
not coasting down it


and Ffoxy: thank you will do that!
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

NpP is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 04-11-2009   #5
Autotest Special
 
rallycinq's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 23,408
Thanks: 1144
Blog Entries: 3
Trader Rating: 1
rallycinq has donated!
British Indian Ocean Territories 
Re: loud noise braking on a hill

Quote Originally Posted by NpP View Post
As im stopping so the car doesn't stall..
not coasting down it
So are you saying it only happens just as your coming to a halt and are putting the clutch in, but not at any other braking time?

Cheers

SPD
__________________
rallycinq is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 04-11-2009   #6
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
Re: loud noise braking on a hill

Quote Originally Posted by rallycinq View Post
So are you saying it only happens just as your coming to a halt and are putting the clutch in, but not at any other braking time?

Cheers

SPD

yes the noise sounds like its coming from the back of the car too , not in the front.
thanks
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

NpP is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 05-11-2009   #7
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 14,341
Thanks: 701
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: loud noise braking on a hill

Need to rule out the clutch release bearing.

With the engine running, listen to the clutch area when someone presses the pedal down. If there is a noise when the lever moves its the clutch bearing.

But regardless of that, you need to check that all 4 brakes are OK.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

DaveMcT is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 06-11-2009   #8
Autotest Special
 
rallycinq's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 23,408
Thanks: 1144
Blog Entries: 3
Trader Rating: 1
rallycinq has donated!
British Indian Ocean Territories 
Re: loud noise braking on a hill

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteSei View Post
Need to rule out the clutch release bearing.

With the engine running, listen to the clutch area when someone presses the pedal down. If there is a noise when the lever moves its the clutch bearing.

But regardless of that, you need to check that all 4 brakes are OK.
Yup, that was my thinking exactly.

Although further thought would euggest that the as this happen only going down a hill, the load valve changes the action of the rear brakes, so a brake service in order.

Cheers

SPD
__________________
rallycinq is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Reply
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(G) noise when braking mk2 punto aj Punto (Mk2/2b) 4 07-05-2009 11:03
(T) Braking Noise narked Grande Punto 11 26-02-2009 08:38
(G) Grinding noise when braking shaunh Doblo 5 22-02-2009 16:35
(T) loud noise when braking FiatStilo02 Stilo 6 11-06-2008 19:41
(T) GP S Braking noise AnneRB Grande Punto 6 27-11-2006 02:18