General Scary oil change.

Currently reading:
General Scary oil change.

Well I wouldn't take my Panda here for a service.

Oil changed to 10W 30. A dash of snake oil in the engine and gearbox. Then rev the cahoonas off it :eek:

it says manual to me
LUIGI

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    268.6 KB · Views: 96
Hi.
Adding a friction reducing additive is not a good idea on a new engine. Although rings these days are reasonably bedded in they still need time to properly bed in. The addition of a friction reducing additive will slow this down and can lead to glazed bores. So no additives for the first 3000 miles. The increase in alleged power may be a con in my opinion.

Oil changed to 10W 30.

...instead of the recommended 5w40 C3.
10w is less fluid than 5w at cold startup.
-30 is thinner than -40 at operating temps (100°C)

So less engine wear protection in both cold and hot (n)

Of course, using a more fluid grade (-30 instead of -40 weight) will liberate some power in a pre race qualifying lap ( that explains the dyno results)...but will probably wreck an engine in a long race.

For a street car, sticking to the manufacturer's demand (5w-40 C3) is a bare minimum for engine protection.

Moreover, I don't even think that those modern engines benefit from more Zn like older ones, there are new metal protection layers lately, and new oil additives to match them (probably tungsten based, like Vanlube W324), that's why they recommend ACEA C3.

That nano additive-stuff, if Tungsten based, might not be so bad, but not in a new , running in engine.

An engine oil is a fragile balance, adding other stuff is not always a good ideea.

Last edited:
Using any oil additive or even an oil that does not meet the specification for the engine will invalidate any warranty. This includes aftermarket warranties as well as new car one. Oil additives can also adversely affect catalytic converters and other emissions equipment. This won't happen instantly but any damge is irreversable. Additives or wrong oil may also invalidate lease type arragements and lead to penalty payments.
The makers of these additives will not pay for any damage and you-tubers will not come back and say it didn't work long term.

Robert G8RPI.

The oil manufacturers spend a lot of time and money in research. If the additives in that simple bottle were beneficial, and not reduce the efectiveness of the rest, surely they'd be in the oil already.

I agree. I had a long conversation with the GEM Motor assist technical officer and he totally convinced me of the need to stick with the manufacturers recommendations and that these days oils are often made for specific engines to counter individual characteristics of particular engines. I would perhaps recommend gear box oil additives for older gearboxes but I am not certain these are totally good in normal circumstances.

Back