Technical Cigarette Lighter Fuse

Currently reading:
Technical Cigarette Lighter Fuse

Paul Wilder

Typically, just after starting a long journey away from home in my Fiat 500 diesel, it appears my cigarette lighter socket has died - meaning my Iphone and TomTom are both in danger of going flat.

I suspect it's blown the fuse, due to me trying to plug in a cheap second rate double charger so I could charge both of the above mentioned items in at the same time - sigh.

Said double charger is shortly to be binned!

So peeps - easy question - which numbered fuse is it that I need to replace in the apparently-flipping-almost-impossible-to-get-out of the bonnet fuse box lid?!

Typically, just after starting a long journey away from home in my Fiat 500 diesel, it appears my cigarette lighter socket has died - meaning my Iphone and TomTom are both in danger of going flat.

I suspect it's blown the fuse, due to me trying to plug in a cheap second rate double charger so I could charge both of the above mentioned items in at the same time - sigh.

Said double charger is shortly to be binned!

So peeps - easy question - which numbered fuse is it that I need to replace in the apparently-flipping-almost-impossible-to-get-out of the bonnet fuse box lid?!

You can't be bothered to look in your manual and find out which one, so you want me to have a look in my manual and tell you which one.

I understand this might seem a hostile welcome, but you obviously must see the point I'm making above.

You're right - I can't be bothered to drive several hundred miles back to my house to find which one.... :p
Thanks for the warm welcome to the Fiat Forum...

You're right - I can't be bothered to drive several hundred miles back to my house to find which one.... :p
Thanks for the warm welcome to the Fiat Forum...

Fair enough :) The fuse is F85 and is a 15 amp fuse :)

Sorry for being crabby, we just get a lot of lazy people on here who would rather take up 30 seconds of someone elses time than 30 seconds of their own time.

Always a good idea to take your manual with you on long trips :)

Maxi, you ain't crabby, you're just as miserable as I am!:worship:

But really, does someone who is too lazy to check for themselves really deserve any help? Fair enough Paul is away from his manual, but there really are some lazy feckless people on here who place more value on their time than that of others and that is terrible IMHO.

That's life I'm afraid and yes it occasionally sucks. I personally do try to read everything before I ask for help. In Paul's case, he has a reasonable excuse, although (I'm being friendly here with the advice) everyone should always carry their manual in their car because you never know what will crop up on a Saturday afternoon when the dealer is shut and you're miles from home (horse bolted blah blah etc) Let's face it, a manual doesn't take up that much room does it?.......

That's life I'm afraid and yes it occasionally sucks. I personally do try to read everything before I ask for help..

Frankly though, these people should be treated with the contempt they deserve. If we don't show these people the error of the ways they'll never attempt to find anything out for themselves and will simply continue to waste the time of others.

Don't you get even a little freaky, weird pang of excitement though when you have helped someone, even if they haven't got off their fat one and struggled to look for an answer for themselves first?:chin:

Don't you get even a little freaky, weird pang of excitement though when you have helped someone, even if they haven't got off their fat one and struggled to look for an answer for themselves first?:chin:

I love helping people, I really do. But do you not think sometimes that people would get so much more satisfaction from actually at least trying first?

If something's not in the manual and it's difficult to find with the search function then I'll be the first person to try and give them the answer. Or as happened in this thread -> https://www.fiatforum.com/500/282375-warning-sign.html if the manual is badly written and doesn't indicate that the warning light can come on for a large variety of reasons (some of them on the next page........ which caught me out far from home when I actually had a manual and a bag full of every spare bulb needed) then I'm happy to help someone who has at least picked the manual up and had a go at things.

Personally, all I ask is that people make an effort. If they make an effort then I'm happy to go to the ends of the earth to help them, if not, then contempt it is :)

Last edited:
I completely agree, I really do, and I have no doubts about your willingness to help(y)

The satisfaction I personally got out of fitting the rear mudflaps on our 500 made my day, especially as I didn't have to ask anyone for help trying to make sense of seemingly nonsensical instructions:)

Ironically I used to keep my manual in the car but then read about reducing weight by removing everything you didn't need and also thought it was a bit of a security risk, having my paperwork car wallet in there. And seeing as hadn't needed to use it in the last few years thought I would be safe...

However even with it being in the house, if I had been at home it would have been a lot quicker finding my manual, then the time taken to search through and read all the relevant posts for my issue (four in this case but none told me what I needed), then register for this forum, then await the ID email, then log on, then write an entry then await a reply!

Anyway, thanks for telling me the correct fuse - which was indeed the issue. Power now restored and junky connector binned!
I also discovered the reason I was finding it so hard to get to the fuses, was that I wasn't just trying to remove the lid but actually the whole damm plastic box surrounding the fuses - opps! Once I realised that, just removing the lid was much easier (y)

Glad you got it sorted and again, I apologise for my misdirected crabbiness :)

BTW there is actually an app available for the iPhone which has the manual in there :)

Glad you got it sorted and again, I apologise for my misdirected crabbiness :)

BTW there is actually an app available for the iPhone which has the manual in there :)

Ohh thanks for that - have now downloaded it - of course it wouldn't have done much good at the time of my incident as my Iphone was pretty near flat :D

of course it wouldn't have done much good at the time of my incident as my Iphone was pretty near flat :D

Reminds me of the old IBM PC error message:

"Keyboard not detected - press <F2> to run the setup utility"

I now carry a handy little rechargeable battery pack, with adapters to fit all of my e-devices. I don't often need to use it, but am very thankful for it on the odd occasion when I do. And I've also bought a nifty little 2-way car charger that will recharge both phone & battery pack, without blowing a fuse.

Last edited:
Actually my USB also stopped working randomly. It worked again and now it stopped again! Do you think it is the fuse?

Back