Technical separating gear box from engine?

Currently reading:
Technical separating gear box from engine?

ok, engines out and im starting to fit bits and bobs to the 1242... but how the fook do i get the gear box off the old engine? ive unbolted all the bolts and everything and it just wont come off, its not stuck on as it moves about but it just wont come off as if something inside is still holding it together (probably is heh)..

any help please!

Bushboy said:
ok, engines out and im starting to fit bits and bobs to the 1242... but how the fook do i get the gear box off the old engine? ive unbolted all the bolts and everything and it just wont come off, its not stuck on as it moves about but it just wont come off as if something inside is still holding it together (probably is heh)..

any help please!

There is nothing inside holding it to the engine, if it will not come off you have not removed all the bolts from the bell housing. Note there is about five that go into the engine and one that goes from the engine into the bell housing, IIRC.

HTH

David

The starter shouldnt be an issue, cos the flywheel's attcahed to the engine and not the G/B.

Take it off anyhoo though ;)

Pull harder... I'm not being a smart arse ;) but if you have got all the bolts out it will come apart - mine took a lot of effort to separate and the first time I was doing it with the engine in the car still - fun...
Failing that a 'universal adjusting tool' should help...
Good Luck,
Matt

Ahh sheet...temporary brain-fart there...

Agreed on Matts idea, it should just part company with the engine fairly easily - I did it with the engine and G/B on the crane, with the G/B end on the floor, me straddling it, then wiggling the whole system until something gave... Just make sure your feet face outwards, and there isnt too far that the G/B can fall..

heh ill let you know, but mines a little different, im using a selecta engine :) technicaly the same engine but with a few different bits on (bigger alternator, diff sump, diff this and that etc.) wont get it done for a while tho.. cant get to fiat till saturday and i know they dont stock the bits i need so thats crap.. wont get those till like tues or wed... and i need to find something to use for the gasket for the manifold.. ive ordered 2 things which i recon might work so ill see when they get here!

Back