Technical Very slight knocking noise when cold

Currently reading:
Technical Very slight knocking noise when cold

greenbriggs9

Hi guys, just bought a 93, 1.4 s ie Tipo, Nice to have a fiat again :) The only problem is, that when it is cold, it has an ever so slight knocking noise. It got noticable after i changed the oil? The problem completely goes away when warmed up, in fact it sounds dead quiet at higher revs. I had this problem with an Uno i use to own. Slight knock when cold, then gone when warm! Do you recon it could be the valve train, or a piston thats ever so slighty worn? I will live with it, and just take the cold engine easy, as one is suppose to anyways :) Any thoughts boys n girls???

My 1.8 makes a similar noise in those conditions. Does it sound like its coming from under the camshaft cover? I usually find that I didnt fill enough and its just a little low on oil after the change. I run between halfway and max on the dipstick now and it doesnt do it :) Has it got mega high mileage?

Hi there, thank you for your response. It has done 113.7 k, so quite high milage for a FIAT :) The noise is coming from the camshaft housing, when it is idling. it is hard to check with the mechanics stethoscope, the knocking noise though. Mainly because i am sat behind the wheel, and the car is moving :) and as i said, it is only when engine is stone cold. I am getting another housing off a mate, with all the shims and followers, and hope that once i have installed it, and checked the valve clearances, it SHOULD be okay. I will keep you informed on what happens next. Thanks again, Hady :)

Back