Register Login
The UK's No.1 Chrysler Owners Forum
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 19-11-2009   #1
Sporting 1.6 Newbie
 
Aresby's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Milton Keynes
Posts: 318
Thanks: 2
Trader Rating: 0
Aresby has donated!
United Kingdom 
New 1.6 Mjet: CHECK ENGINE warning

Yup, me again with my never ending list of things wrong with my new 1.6 Mjet Sporting.

This morning when I started up this message came on and wouldn't go away. Checked the handbook which said I could drive with caution, so I did, straight to the dealers.

They identified an exhaust recirculating value problem; they have one in stock in Fiat and it's on order for Friday (and fitting).

Major weekend travelling planned so it had better be OK.

How many frigging things can go wrong with a new FIAT (no, don't tell me it will just depress me even more).

One final thing: the courtesy car I got is a 1.2 Fiesta. I think now and again all you Mjet Sporting guys should be forced to drive this for a day just so you really appreciate the Punto (when it's not in the workshop, anyway).
__________________
Was: Grande Punto 1.3 90 New Orleans Blue -- No mods -- No tweaks -- No remaps
Now: Grande Punto 1.6 120 Mjet White -- No Mods -- No tweaks -- No remaps

www.webcloudsoftware.com
Aresby is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 19-11-2009   #2
Ohhh my, yes.
 
Garree001's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,361
Thanks: 43
Trader Rating: 0
Garree001 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: New 1.6 Mjet: CHECK ENGINE warning

Quote Originally Posted by Aresby View Post
One final thing: the courtesy car I got is a 1.2 Fiesta. I think now and again all you Mjet Sporting guys should be forced to drive this for a day just so you really appreciate the Punto (when it's not in the workshop, anyway).
I am being forced to drive a 1.2 Punto at the moment - courtesy car from the garage. It's painful. Where I am putting my foot down just to get any life out of it, it's being considerably thirstier than my 1.9MJ...

How you get all the niggles sorted soon.

What's wrong with the Fester anyway?
__________________
Quote Originally Posted by karbineftw View Post
It sure looks like it's erect from my angle.
Quote Originally Posted by volxstu View Post
Hit somebody at 50.. they die. Hit somebody at 60.. they die quicker.
Signature by alexh365
Garree001 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 20-11-2009   #3
Sporting 1.6 Newbie
 
Aresby's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Milton Keynes
Posts: 318
Thanks: 2
Trader Rating: 0
Aresby has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: New 1.6 Mjet: CHECK ENGINE warning

Quote Originally Posted by Garree001 View Post
I am being forced to drive a 1.2 Punto at the moment - courtesy car from the garage. It's painful. Where I am putting my foot down just to get any life out of it, it's being considerably thirstier than my 1.9MJ...

How you get all the niggles sorted soon.

What's wrong with the Fester anyway?
Being fixed as I write this (they say). I just really hope it's OK for this weekend.

The Fiesta brings a whole new meaning to the word "underpowered", to the point of being dangerous.

The car itself is fine, with many "extras" as standard, such as electric windows & mirrors, variable delay wiper, front heated windscreen, rake (but not reach) adjustable steering wheel, lights left on reminder, rear wash-wipe.

I know we Fiat chaps take this (and more) for granted but on other makes some of the omissions can make you raise an eyebrow!

But the 1.2 petrol engine is gutless, even around town. And thirsty with it (mainly because you're always driving with your foot to the floor).

With a nice 1.6 [diesel] engine (which I suppose is their 'Sports' version) it would be nice (with better seats, anyway).

Roll on 3pm for my Sporting to be returned to me...
__________________
Was: Grande Punto 1.3 90 New Orleans Blue -- No mods -- No tweaks -- No remaps
Now: Grande Punto 1.6 120 Mjet White -- No Mods -- No tweaks -- No remaps

www.webcloudsoftware.com
Aresby is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 20-11-2009   #4
Ohhh my, yes.
 
Garree001's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,361
Thanks: 43
Trader Rating: 0
Garree001 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: New 1.6 Mjet: CHECK ENGINE warning

I know just what you mean by underpowered! It is dangerous at times I have to say. You put your foot down and end up going nowhere. Overtaking on a single carriageway is a big fat NO and even pulling out on say a dual-carriageway is pretty much impossible. It struggles to maintain 70 on even the most gentle inclines on the motorway and I want my car back...

Still waiting to hear about my car. I dropped it off last Thursday

That said, the 1.2 is not too bad off line for the first like 20 yards, which is OK for pulling out on busy roundabouts, etc.
__________________
Quote Originally Posted by karbineftw View Post
It sure looks like it's erect from my angle.
Quote Originally Posted by volxstu View Post
Hit somebody at 50.. they die. Hit somebody at 60.. they die quicker.
Signature by alexh365
Garree001 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 20-11-2009   #5
Telford's Own...
 
Ffoxy's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 9,824
Thanks: 373
Trader Rating: 0
Ffoxy has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: New 1.6 Mjet: CHECK ENGINE warning

Quote Originally Posted by Aresby View Post
Yup, me again with my never ending list of things wrong with my new 1.6 Mjet Sporting.

This morning when I started up this message came on and wouldn't go away. Checked the handbook which said I could drive with caution, so I did, straight to the dealers.

They identified an exhaust recirculating value problem; they have one in stock in Fiat and it's on order for Friday (and fitting).

Major weekend travelling planned so it had better be OK.

How many frigging things can go wrong with a new FIAT (no, don't tell me it will just depress me even more).

One final thing: the courtesy car I got is a 1.2 Fiesta. I think now and again all you Mjet Sporting guys should be forced to drive this for a day just so you really appreciate the Punto (when it's not in the workshop, anyway).
Good old EGR maybe
__________________
Ex Suzuki SV1000S jockey, now a former 1.9 MJet Grande Punto Sporting pilot curently driving a Hyundai i30 1.6 Premium.
Ffoxy is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 20-11-2009   #6
Ohhh my, yes.
 
Garree001's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,361
Thanks: 43
Trader Rating: 0
Garree001 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: New 1.6 Mjet: CHECK ENGINE warning

Quote Originally Posted by Ffoxy View Post
Good old EGR maybe
He's only had his car a few weeks Silly question, but would premium fuels not stop this EGR thing from happening, as they burn more cleanly? That and fewer shorter journies of course. I could of course just be talking out of my @rse as usual
__________________
Quote Originally Posted by karbineftw View Post
It sure looks like it's erect from my angle.
Quote Originally Posted by volxstu View Post
Hit somebody at 50.. they die. Hit somebody at 60.. they die quicker.
Signature by alexh365
Garree001 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 20-11-2009   #7
Telford's Own...
 
Ffoxy's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 9,824
Thanks: 373
Trader Rating: 0
Ffoxy has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: New 1.6 Mjet: CHECK ENGINE warning

Quote Originally Posted by Garree001 View Post
He's only had his car a few weeks Silly question, but would premium fuels not stop this EGR thing from happening, as they burn more cleanly? That and fewer shorter journies of course. I could of course just be talking out of my @rse as usual
Its probably more a case of a new knackered one from manufacture, it happens. I have always stuck Shell diesel extra in mine, 58,500 miles now and no EGR problems.

Note :- NOT the expensive Shell stuff... no way Jose!
__________________
Ex Suzuki SV1000S jockey, now a former 1.9 MJet Grande Punto Sporting pilot curently driving a Hyundai i30 1.6 Premium.
Ffoxy is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 20-11-2009   #8
Sporting 1.6 Newbie
 
Aresby's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Milton Keynes
Posts: 318
Thanks: 2
Trader Rating: 0
Aresby has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: New 1.6 Mjet: CHECK ENGINE warning

Quote Originally Posted by Ffoxy View Post
I have always stuck Shell diesel extra in mine, 58,500 miles now and no EGR problems
Me too!

Didn't help this time though.
__________________
Was: Grande Punto 1.3 90 New Orleans Blue -- No mods -- No tweaks -- No remaps
Now: Grande Punto 1.6 120 Mjet White -- No Mods -- No tweaks -- No remaps

www.webcloudsoftware.com
Aresby is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 21-11-2009   #9
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 1,606
Thanks: 44
Trader Rating: 0
payney1 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: New 1.6 Mjet: CHECK ENGINE warning

EGR valvle issues on new 1.6 mjet.

lmfao at the warning message "check engine" when it came up on my mine i opened the bonnet, yep i've checked the engine, it's still there lol

How may miles have you done in it so far?

You must be on first name terms with the dealers lol
__________________
Gone - 1.9 GP Sporting.
Gone - 1.4 NA Bravo
Now - 2.0 165 Sport Mjet Bravo

Last edited by payney1; 21-11-2009 at 14:49.
payney1 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 21-11-2009   #10
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 1,606
Thanks: 44
Trader Rating: 0
payney1 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: New 1.6 Mjet: CHECK ENGINE warning

Quote Originally Posted by Ffoxy View Post
Its probably more a case of a new knackered one from manufacture, it happens. I have always stuck Shell diesel extra in mine, 58,500 miles now and no EGR problems.

Note :- NOT the expensive Shell stuff... no way Jose!
You've just been lucky so far lol

It's actually nice to now someone who hasn't had the EGR valvle problem
__________________
Gone - 1.9 GP Sporting.
Gone - 1.4 NA Bravo
Now - 2.0 165 Sport Mjet Bravo
payney1 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 22-11-2009   #11
Sporting 1.6 Newbie
 
Aresby's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Milton Keynes
Posts: 318
Thanks: 2
Trader Rating: 0
Aresby has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: New 1.6 Mjet: CHECK ENGINE warning

Well the dealers fitted a new one and it managed to get me to Canterbury, Kent and back yesterday so that was good news.

I've now done about 1800 miles with this car.

And, yes, the dealers now recognise me and greet me by name. Probably out of embarrassment and shame that they are associated with Fiat, I should think.
__________________
Was: Grande Punto 1.3 90 New Orleans Blue -- No mods -- No tweaks -- No remaps
Now: Grande Punto 1.6 120 Mjet White -- No Mods -- No tweaks -- No remaps

www.webcloudsoftware.com
Aresby is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 22-11-2009   #12
Top Dog
 
Tris Harris's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Leeds/Whitley
Posts: 6,864
Thanks: 325
Blog Entries: 3
Trader Rating: 1
Tris Harris has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: New 1.6 Mjet: CHECK ENGINE warning

least your dealer seems ok, they are a nightmare round where i live
__________________
Tris Harris is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 22-11-2009   #13
Sporting 1.6 Newbie
 
Aresby's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Milton Keynes
Posts: 318
Thanks: 2
Trader Rating: 0
Aresby has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: New 1.6 Mjet: CHECK ENGINE warning

Quote Originally Posted by Tris Harris View Post
least your dealer seems ok, they are a nightmare round where i live
That depends on what you mean by "OK".

Yes, they took my car in at 8am on the day the warning light came on.

Yes, they phoned me by 10:30am to say they'd identified the problem and had ordered a new part.

Yes, the fitted the new part the next day and it was ready at about 2pm.

Yes, the service desk chap was polite and appeared helpful.

However, I got a free courtesy car more by luck than judgement (someone brought one back later that day). What would I have done if they had had no courtesy car? How would I get home? 21 miles away. Yes, there's a bus service but let's get serious!

Interesting that the courtesy car (all Perry's courtesy cars) are 1.25 Fiestas. With very nearly a quarter of a tank of petrol so I had to put in a fiver's worth to get me back to work the next day, which makes it an expensive round trip. I'd prefer a filled-to-the-brim and we-want-it-back-that-way type courtesy car service.

Does one have to buy a Merc or BMW to get a courtesy car of a similar type to that being serviced?

I certainly don't shout or make a scene at the dealer as they are merely agents of the manufacturer (and have the power to be helpful or put obstacles in my way) and they appear to be doing the right things.

Perhaps it's because they are dealers for Vauxhall, Fiat, Seat, Ford and probably another make I've forgotten!

Should I expect more?
__________________
Was: Grande Punto 1.3 90 New Orleans Blue -- No mods -- No tweaks -- No remaps
Now: Grande Punto 1.6 120 Mjet White -- No Mods -- No tweaks -- No remaps

www.webcloudsoftware.com
Aresby is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Reply
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(G) Warning! check your Panda Alan.D Panda 55 14-09-2009 22:31
(T) Check Engine Warning Deano.UK 500 2 26-10-2008 17:25
Can check warning - what is it crozzer1 Newbie Central 1 19-10-2008 14:30
(G) new mjet engine porlus Bravo 4 09-10-2008 22:58
(T) System lights check ! warning light please help ! reedbradshaw Punto (Mk2/2b) 0 19-05-2006 01:05