Technical Check Engine Light function different? Fiat Grande Punto 2009

Currently reading:
Technical Check Engine Light function different? Fiat Grande Punto 2009

Trxxjeh

Hey,

So I recently had the problem with my fiat grande punto 1.4 16v from 2009 that the EML light was turned on yellow and the performance of the car was greatly reduced giving error codes p0011 and p0016. I brought it to a garage and they changed the timing belt, solenoid, sensors and many more things. The performance of the car is back to normal.

However, I noticed something weird and that is that the EML light turns on and turns off when I start the car, but if I turn off the car immediately and put it back on contact the EML doesnt turn on until I try again like 15 mins later. Is this normal behavior? Because of this I went to a different garage and checked for error codes and it showed up with p0010 and p0016. So basically the timings are still of, however the EML light doesn't stay on anymore and the performance of the car is back to pretty much normal as far as I can tell.

Is it possible they programmed to EML to function like this or is this how it always works with this car? Should I go back to the garage because the error codes are there even though the car seems to run normal?

Last edited:
Yes. Go back to those idiots (by the way: most professional mechanics CAN NOT fix Fiats, basic FIRE 8V / 16V engines are too complicated), part changers (no proper Diagnostics).

Yes. Go back to those idiots (by the way: most professional mechanics CAN NOT fix Fiats, basic FIRE 8V / 16V engines are too complicated), part changers (no proper Diagnostics).
So it's possible they manually made the EML stay off and got it of emergency mode by programming the ECU or something? Wouldn't this be more advanced than actually fixing the problem?

The thing is, the car does run fine it might just be using a little more gas, 7.5L / 100 KM instead of 7L / 100 but this could be due to the colder weather perhaps? However it does give does 2 error codes and I'm not sure if the EML is working as intended. If anyone could confirm this that would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

It is very unlikely that garage would have attempted to reprogram ecu to change function of malfunction light. Reprogramming mil is massively complicated and requires different computer programs and skills than a normal garage would have.

The fault codes you are reading could be old codes not previously erased

I suggest erasing the codes and checking in a few days if codes come back.

Let us know what happens.

Best wishes
Jack

Hi,

It is very unlikely that garage would have attempted to reprogram ecu to change function of malfunction light. Reprogramming mil is massively complicated and requires different computer programs and skills than a normal garage would have.

The fault codes you are reading could be old codes not previously erased

I suggest erasing the codes and checking in a few days if codes come back.

Let us know what happens.

Best wishes
Jack
Hey, the fault codes have been erased after reading but were instantly back. Also it used to be p0011 and p0016 before the repair instead of p0010 and p0016. I am not sure what to do because the car seems to run fine but then I read online that with p0010 fault code you need to get it sorted fast before it breaks other parts...

Hey, the fault codes have been erased after reading but were instantly back. Also it used to be p0011 and p0016 before the repair instead of p0010 and p0016. I am not sure what to do because the car seems to run fine but then I read online that with p0010 fault code you need to get it sorted fast before it breaks other parts...

With this information it is now clear that the garage didn't complete the repair correctly. Take it back to the garage tell them the fault codes are still there and return immediately after being deleted.
They should not charge you any more to fix it correctly.
Let us know how this turns out.

Good luck.

I have had an issue where I start the car as normal the EML comes on. If I do not start the car but switch off and on again and start it does not do it!!! I dropped my Air flow sensor while replacing my alternator and think it’s possible it’s damaged…. Also if I do start the car first time it sounds horrible and chugs and splutters and rocks the engine?

Back