Register Login
FIAT Auto Specialist Team
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 22-02-2010   #1
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: crowland peterborough
Posts: 263
Thanks: 2
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
faulty parking sensors

i've just been to my local fiat dealership for a parking sensor to replace my faulty one and had quite a shock when they told me it's 68 +vat.

am i being tight here or does that seam to be a silly price for one sensor?

does any where else sell this type of thing? 'cause i don't really want to spend that on one sensor unless i have to and the cars driving me bonkers beeping at me all the time?
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

doody is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 22-02-2010   #2
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 469
Thanks: 31
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: faulty parking sensors

Quote Originally Posted by doody View Post
i've just been to my local fiat dealership for a parking sensor to replace my faulty one and had quite a shock when they told me it's 68 +vat.

am i being tight here or does that seam to be a silly price for one sensor?

does any where else sell this type of thing? 'cause i don't really want to spend that on one sensor unless i have to and the cars driving me bonkers beeping at me all the time?
Your problem will be the connection to the car. Do Vauxhall use the same connector / sensors? 68 + VAT is extortionate IMHO, considering aftermarket kits are 20ish from ebay. They won't 'talk' to the car though, and you'd get that annoying warning triangle on the dashboard.

So - Vauxhall or Dick Turpin I reckon. Anyone got more ideas?
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

DoIDon'tI is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 25-02-2010   #3
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: crowland peterborough
Posts: 263
Thanks: 2
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: faulty parking sensors

Quote Originally Posted by DoIDon'tI View Post
Your problem will be the connection to the car. Do Vauxhall use the same connector / sensors? 68 + VAT is extortionate IMHO, considering aftermarket kits are 20ish from ebay. They won't 'talk' to the car though, and you'd get that annoying warning triangle on the dashboard.

So - Vauxhall or Dick Turpin I reckon. Anyone got more ideas?

not sure about vauxhall, i'll pop to my local one and see what they say later.
i like the Dick Turpin idea

the connector looks in good condition but i could try replacing it as it maybe cheaper than the silly price of the sensor.

i wonder if a sensor from a cheap 20 sensor kit of ebay would fit, surely they only have a plus and minus wire to all sensors.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

doody is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 25-02-2010   #4
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 469
Thanks: 31
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: faulty parking sensors

If you're not in too much of a rush then I've got some old sensors in the shed, I can have a look at the connectors at the weekend?
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

DoIDon'tI is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 27-02-2010   #5
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: crowland peterborough
Posts: 263
Thanks: 2
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: faulty parking sensors

Quote Originally Posted by DoIDon'tI View Post
If you're not in too much of a rush then I've got some old sensors in the shed, I can have a look at the connectors at the weekend?
that would be great thank you
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

doody is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 27-02-2010   #6
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 469
Thanks: 31
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: faulty parking sensors

Just back from the car, typing very slowly because I've got no knuckles left What were Fiat thinking of, shoehorning a 5-cylinder engine into a 4-cylinder engine bay

And I get to do it all again in another few years...joy. Anyway, I had a look at the reversing sensor connectors and they're absolutely nothing like the aftermarket ones, they have proper clip-on connectors like the rest of the car. I've fitted three sets of aftermarket sensors in the past and none of them had compatible connectors with each other, let alone the car wiring. I also seriously doubt whether the car would 'recognise' aftermarket items.

So - either Vauxhall or Fiat then, sorry.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

DoIDon'tI is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 28-02-2010   #7
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Southampton, Hampshire
Posts: 3,893
Thanks: 281
Trader Rating: 0
s130 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: faulty parking sensors

Quote Originally Posted by DoIDon'tI View Post
Just back from the car, typing very slowly because I've got no knuckles left What were Fiat thinking of, shoehorning a 5-cylinder engine into a 4-cylinder engine bay
What were you doing? Cam belt change or just polishing the engine block?
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

s130 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 28-02-2010   #8
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 469
Thanks: 31
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: faulty parking sensors

Quote Originally Posted by s130 View Post
What were you doing? Cam belt change or just polishing the engine block?
Cambelt change. You conventional four-cylinder people have nothing to worry about, the 2.4 is 'slightly' trickier. As a hint - Elearn says:

"On this version it is not possible to remove/refit the toothed timing drive belt on the car.
To perform this operation, remove/refit the power unit."

Which is why the quoted service time for a 90,000 mile service on a 2.4 is 9.40 hours. Given the propensity for water pump failure on these units I felt 4 years and 54,000 miles was safe. I'll post a separate thread about it in the near future, when I've got a bit more skin - also seems unfair to hijack Doody's post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

DoIDon'tI is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 03-03-2010   #9
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: crowland peterborough
Posts: 263
Thanks: 2
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: faulty parking sensors

Quote Originally Posted by DoIDon'tI View Post
Just back from the car, typing very slowly because I've got no knuckles left What were Fiat thinking of, shoehorning a 5-cylinder engine into a 4-cylinder engine bay

And I get to do it all again in another few years...joy. Anyway, I had a look at the reversing sensor connectors and they're absolutely nothing like the aftermarket ones, they have proper clip-on connectors like the rest of the car. I've fitted three sets of aftermarket sensors in the past and none of them had compatible connectors with each other, let alone the car wiring. I also seriously doubt whether the car would 'recognise' aftermarket items.

So - either Vauxhall or Fiat then, sorry.
ok thanks anyway, sorry for the delay with my reply.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

doody is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 10-04-2010   #10
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 469
Thanks: 31
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: faulty parking sensors

Have you bought any new sensors yet? Just had two fail on mine, and I'm looking into the options now
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

DoIDon'tI is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 11-04-2010   #11
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Eire
Posts: 96
Thanks: 3
Trader Rating: 0
Ireland 
Re: faulty parking sensors

Do they work if you park with rear facing sunlight for a couple of hours?
That was my experience after the big freeze. I think there was a problem with water in the sensors and the sun would dry them out. I haven't taken them out to check(dont know how) but might be a low cost solution.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

cjlar is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 11-04-2010   #12
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: crowland peterborough
Posts: 263
Thanks: 2
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: faulty parking sensors

Quote Originally Posted by DoIDon'tI View Post
Have you bought any new sensors yet? Just had two fail on mine, and I'm looking into the options now
hi mate,
no haven't done anything about it yet, been thinking about trading it in for the 2.4ltr one thats up for sale on various internet sites at the minute...
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides


Last edited by doody; 11-04-2010 at 01:55.
doody is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 11-04-2010   #13
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 469
Thanks: 31
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: faulty parking sensors

Good, in that case I've got some decent news for you. The part number (not the Fiat part number) is 687912, they are also fitted to (wait for it) various models of BMW! If you look on ebay at auction number 220585218541 as an example you will see that you don't have to pay Fiat main dealer prices.

If it's any consolation, they fail on BMWs too. Good old German build quality...bit like Bosch alternators I suppose

Taking them out is easy enough if you haven't got a towbar fitted (if you have, you might have to remove the rear bumper to get to the middle pair. Guess which ones have gone on mine). Firstly, remove the electrical connector. Each sensor is held in by two long plastic 'tongues' which clip into protrusions on the side of each sensor. From the outside of the bumper, maintain a steady pressure. From inside the bumper, move the ends of the 'tongues' away from the sensor body. Depending on how much caked mud is round it, it should just slide out.

HTH.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

DoIDon'tI is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 11-04-2010   #14
The orginal 'Old Grumpy'
 
Radlet6's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: North East
Posts: 782
Thanks: 23
Trader Rating: 0
Radlet6 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: faulty parking sensors

Attached are the relevant pages from e-learn
Attached Files
File Type: pdf parking sensor check.pdf (49.6 KB, 447 views)
File Type: pdf sensor removal.pdf (48.0 KB, 395 views)
__________________

AS part of the Government's new austerity measures, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off indefinitely.
Radlet6 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 12-04-2010   #15
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: crowland peterborough
Posts: 263
Thanks: 2
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: faulty parking sensors

Quote Originally Posted by DoIDon'tI View Post
Good, in that case I've got some decent news for you. The part number (not the Fiat part number) is 687912, they are also fitted to (wait for it) various models of BMW! If you look on ebay at auction number 220585218541 as an example you will see that you don't have to pay Fiat main dealer prices.

If it's any consolation, they fail on BMWs too. Good old German build quality...bit like Bosch alternators I suppose

Taking them out is easy enough if you haven't got a towbar fitted (if you have, you might have to remove the rear bumper to get to the middle pair. Guess which ones have gone on mine). Firstly, remove the electrical connector. Each sensor is held in by two long plastic 'tongues' which clip into protrusions on the side of each sensor. From the outside of the bumper, maintain a steady pressure. From inside the bumper, move the ends of the 'tongues' away from the sensor body. Depending on how much caked mud is round it, it should just slide out.

HTH.

great thanks, i'll have a go at this over the weekend.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

doody is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Reply
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(T) All ABS sensors faulty?? Tim Lane Multipla 0 24-03-2007 23:06
(T) Parking sensors 182_blue Grande Punto 5 25-01-2007 19:45
(G) Parking Sensors dpclark1977 Stilo 8 22-10-2006 13:38
(T) Parking sensors charlieb0y Stilo 12 26-09-2006 02:20
(S) parking sensors blackJTD Stilo 15 29-05-2004 15:48