Tuning newbie help!dump valve filter

Currently reading:
Tuning newbie help!dump valve filter

hi everyone,
im new to this forum and also the abarth ownership so i need some help please,
im picking up my new abarth 500 on fri,after having bought a new bmw 1 series last year that has gone through 3 clutches and 2 flywheels and appaulling reliability,so weve got rid and ordered a new abarth,
anyway i want to get a louder whoosh sound from the dump valve,ive seen 1 from forge but also read on here about the bmc induction kit and the filter for the dump valve,but i dont want to lose the engine cover by fitting the bmc kit,i just want the sound to be louder,
does anyone know where i can get just the filter for the dump valve,and do i need any thing else to do this,and will this mess anything up by playing with dump valves?

thanks

ben

renaissance detailing

Hi Ben, nice to have you onboard and congratulations on the new car. When you have any pictures you can upload them to the forum gallery for everyone to enjoy.

Regarding the DV you have a few choices here:

1) Replace with the forge unit, which I believe is quite expensive if it is the one I am thinking of as it is solenoid operated and needs to connect into the harness.

2) Forge also do a "splitter" that is fitted in place of the Abarth item and the benefit of this item is that it recirculates the air flow as well as producinging the 'blow off' sound you are looking for.

3) Just add the correct diameter cone filter which can be bought on ebay (sorry, I don't have the link) and blank off the recirculatory air system.

This is best done with a suitable length of solid alloy rod of the correct diameter and a jubilee clip (sorry, no picture) as it will fit into the brackets in front of the heatshield for support and look much better than just bunging a cork in the end, lol.

Personally, I think your best option is number 3, apart from being the cheapest I think that it will also give you the sound you are looking for and if you need to remove it (for servicing/warranty) it is the easiest to remove.

Found a link here you might find interesting if you haven't seen it before.

Hi Ben. You're very welcome to the Abarth Forum and congratulations on the new A500. (y)

I would agree with all before me and in particular Grimwau who always has the 'inside track'. (y) (You'll have to show me how to do a link - I've removed the embedded Youtube that you posted. :))

Being a 1.4 head myself I would be into CAI and in looking at A500 I was looking at the 'impossible' of getting one for both cars - which of course is not possible. :bang:

IMHO Turbo charged cars are not suited to CAIs and the Forge one by all accounts does appear to give you an extra 10bhp but it does a lot of 'huffing and panting' to get it. Quite a few guys who purchased them have taken them off but you might enjoy it. Still not a whole lot of money.

The wee mod with a dump valve filter is supposedly quite easy to do and is cheap and it is easy to reverse. On feedback from another member he said that he didn't like it but I would agree with Grimwau's recommendation since you're looking for a bit of hissing.

I had looked at using the filter below as a crankcase breather filter but it is in breech of current regs - I'd imagine that it would not apply to it being used as a dump valve filter.

http://motors-parts.shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=BMC+filter+25mm&_sacat=131090&_dmpt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&_odkw=BMC+filter&_osacat=131090&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

On the assumption that you have the 'standard' A500 you could upgrade the air filter to a cotton gauze BMC one. No increase in bhp but the performance would not 'degrade' as quickly as one does with a paper filter. Standard fit on the esseesse and it's re-usable. Other option is to go for a ITG Filter - foam based - a lot of mixed reviews - but IMHO is a better performer than the cotton gauze but you cann't leave it in the car when it's being serviced.

P.S. I like the mod on the Assetto Corse but that would involve getting a new bonnet.:eek:
https://www.fiatforum.com/abarth-500/275944-top-gear-3.html?p=2810153

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
hi guys,
firstly thanks for the warm welcome guys,
thanks for the options i think 3rd one sounds good,
the pootube link helped lots,im guessing that is diy mod rather than off the shelf kit,
think i can handle it,was concerned that any mods might knacker summat,
if anyone knows the diameters of filter and pipe id love to know if not a bit of trial n error me thinks,
i'l post some pics when pick it up tomorrow once ive detailed it and put some zymol atlantique wax on her.

thanks again

word up

ben

Back