Register Login
im Axle Specialists
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20-07-2018   #1
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
Canada 
Sport Mode?

I have a Fiat 500 Sport. So I've I've got the little sport button on mine. I've never ad sport mode on any car I've driven before, and laugh if you like, but I'm not sure if and when I should or should not be using it.

I live and daily drive the 500 in a big city and my daily commute to work includes a short drive on a freeway. I've done the commute both in and out of sport mode, and I personally notice I much prefer to use it on the freeway then in stop and go rush hour traffic. But honestly I have no idea if I'm doing it right. Obviously because I do commute a fair distance, two considerations I will always have in a car are gas mileage and handling. My car handles it seems perfectly for me in or out of sport mode, and I do know the mileage can drop a bit while using it...

Also I drive an automatic, if that makes any difference at all.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Cosmic Light is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 20-07-2018   #2
STOP! Hammer time!
 
306maxi's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Welsh Riviera
Posts: 23,751
Thanks: 850
Trader Rating: 0
306maxi has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Sport Mode?

You can use sport mode whenever you want. It doesnít affect the handling and has a minimal effect on fuel consumption.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

306maxi is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 21-07-2018   #3
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Vault 101, Cheshire
Posts: 57
Thanks: 1
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Sport Mode?

Our 500 Twinair 105 has a sport button and it gives a significant extra dose of urge and weights-up the steering a bit too. I tend to have the button ON at all times as I enjoy the extra poke.
Likes Eklipze3k liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Andy43 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 21-07-2018   #4
No strings on me
 
Eklipze3k's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Huddersfield
Posts: 15,153
Thanks: 676
Trader Rating: 0
Eklipze3k has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Sport Mode?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy43 View Post
Our 500 Twinair 105 has a sport button and it gives a significant extra dose of urge and weights-up the steering a bit too. I tend to have the button ON at all times as I enjoy the extra poke.
My wife has the same and, again, always has Sport mode on. I find with it off that the throttle is a bit too slow to respond in situations where you want to set off quickly ie. junctions.
__________________
Eklipze3k is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 21-07-2018   #5
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Vault 101, Cheshire
Posts: 57
Thanks: 1
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Sport Mode?

Quote Originally Posted by Eklipze3k View Post
My wife has the same and, again, always has Sport mode on. I find with it off that the throttle is a bit too slow to respond in situations where you want to set off quickly ie. junctions.

Yup, take-up is a bit 'flat-spotty' and there is a hole in the power delivery without the button engaged. With it on, the sudden surge of power that you get from about 3500 revs always makes me smile. Great in 2nd and 3rd!
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Andy43 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 24-05-2020   #6
" MandaPanda "
 
Johnbee's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Hastings TN35
Posts: 1,266
Thanks: 43
Trader Rating: 0
Johnbee has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Sport Mode?

I have a 2018 105 500S and always drive with the sport button on to utilise all 105 horses, the heavier steering and gas pedal.

With the Sport button off you are only getting IIRC 97 horses and I get an eco gauge rather than a G-Force meter / turbo gauge.
__________________


'Blu' 2011 Panda Active Eco
'Toy' 2018 500S Twin Air 105
Johnbee is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 24-05-2020   #7
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 263
Thanks: 3
Trader Rating: 0
USA 
Re: Sport Mode?

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Light View Post
I have a Fiat 500 Sport. So I've I've got the little sport button on mine. I've never ad sport mode on any car I've driven before, and laugh if you like, but I'm not sure if and when I should or should not be using it.



I live and daily drive the 500 in a big city and my daily commute to work includes a short drive on a freeway. I've done the commute both in and out of sport mode, and I personally notice I much prefer to use it on the freeway then in stop and go rush hour traffic. But honestly I have no idea if I'm doing it right. Obviously because I do commute a fair distance, two considerations I will always have in a car are gas mileage and handling. My car handles it seems perfectly for me in or out of sport mode, and I do know the mileage can drop a bit while using it...



Also I drive an automatic, if that makes any difference at all.


My momís 500 has the 1.4 engine and the six speed automatic and she uses sport mode all the time for accelerating in front of traffic or trying to get around somebody or getting on the freeway it is very useful.
With the automatics it does take away fuel, as the car holds revs longer preventing it from slowing down naturally but you can fix that by shifting manumaticly. That could be why my momís car is at 19 miles per gallon, but thatís not a big deal itís a little Fiat it deserves to be in the higher rpms it loves it.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Rocco Reviews is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 24-05-2020   #8
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 263
Thanks: 3
Trader Rating: 0
USA 
Re: Sport Mode?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy43 View Post
Yup, take-up is a bit 'flat-spotty' and there is a hole in the power delivery without the button engaged. With it on, the sudden surge of power that you get from about 3500 revs always makes me smile. Great in 2nd and 3rd!


At one point my mom had to go around somebody that was going 20 miles an hour in a 40 zone and she went to go put her foot down in the car did nothing I ended up having to put it in sport mode putting it manual and downshifting from 3rd to 1st really quickly for her because the automatic did nothing. That was the first time and last time that happened.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Rocco Reviews is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #9
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 2
Thanks: 1
Trader Rating: 0
USA 
Re: Sport Mode?

Putting my 2015 Pop into Sport mode makes my check engine light come on every time; for some reason, the engine revs really high and seems to "get stuck." I should probably get that checked out . . . :P
Thanks Rocco Reviews thanked for this post
Likes Rocco Reviews liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

FuriousRose is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #10
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 263
Thanks: 3
Trader Rating: 0
USA 
Re: Sport Mode?

Quote Originally Posted by FuriousRose View Post
Putting my 2015 Pop into Sport mode makes my check engine light come on every time; for some reason, the engine revs really high and seems to "get stuck." I should probably get that checked out . . . :P
You probably should...
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Rocco Reviews is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 1 Week Ago   #11
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Bolton
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Sport Mode?

Quote Originally Posted by FuriousRose View Post
Putting my 2015 Pop into Sport mode makes my check engine light come on every time; for some reason, the engine revs really high and seems to "get stuck." I should probably get that checked out . . . :P
Hi, did you get it checked?.. I'm having the same problem, 1.4 Sport, normal mode is fine but as soon as I press the sport button the revs climb to about 3-3500k. I'm wondering if it's an o2 sensor. Car is a 2008 model. Thanks
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

The Cats Meewow is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 4 Days Ago   #12
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 2
Thanks: 1
Trader Rating: 0
USA 
Re: Sport Mode?

Quote Originally Posted by The Cats Meewow View Post
Hi, did you get it checked?.. I'm having the same problem, 1.4 Sport, normal mode is fine but as soon as I press the sport button the revs climb to about 3-3500k. I'm wondering if it's an o2 sensor. Car is a 2008 model. Thanks
I haven't gotten it checked out yet, but I'm sure you are right about it being an O2 sensor; that makes sense.

It sounds expensive! Therefore, I'm going to procrastinate as long as possible.

I don't notice any unusual performance issues if I drive the car normally, so I just keep it out of sport mode.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

FuriousRose is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 1 Day Ago   #13
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Bolton
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Sport Mode?

Ours is going to be looked at this week, if it is the o2 sensor i'll update this thread - very fussy little cars these. Cracked manifold, slave cylinder and o2? sensor this week - all inherited when we got the car. But, im not giving up on it.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

The Cats Meewow is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Reply
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(T) 1.9 Sport MJet add Sport mode? DamnScouse Bravo 2 15-12-2017 19:51
(G) Sport Mode twobigdogs 500X 5 11-09-2016 20:28
(T) Sport mode always on? BadZen Bravo 15 26-06-2014 22:46
(G) Sport mode onto a non-Sport TJet 150 possible? TroyO Bravo 12 10-03-2008 11:05
sport mode nathan FIAT Boo Archives 7 04-03-2008 19:56