General Sport Mode?

Currently reading:
General Sport Mode?

I have a Fiat 500 Sport. So I've I've got the little sport button on mine. I've never ad sport mode on any car I've driven before, and laugh if you like, but I'm not sure if and when I should or should not be using it.

I live and daily drive the 500 in a big city and my daily commute to work includes a short drive on a freeway. I've done the commute both in and out of sport mode, and I personally notice I much prefer to use it on the freeway then in stop and go rush hour traffic. But honestly I have no idea if I'm doing it right. Obviously because I do commute a fair distance, two considerations I will always have in a car are gas mileage and handling. My car handles it seems perfectly for me in or out of sport mode, and I do know the mileage can drop a bit while using it...

Also I drive an automatic, if that makes any difference at all.

You can use sport mode whenever you want. It doesn’t affect the handling and has a minimal effect on fuel consumption.

Our 500 Twinair 105 has a sport button and it gives a significant extra dose of urge and weights-up the steering a bit too. I tend to have the button ON at all times as I enjoy the extra poke.

My wife has the same and, again, always has Sport mode on. I find with it off that the throttle is a bit too slow to respond in situations where you want to set off quickly ie. junctions.

My wife has the same and, again, always has Sport mode on. I find with it off that the throttle is a bit too slow to respond in situations where you want to set off quickly ie. junctions.

Yup, take-up is a bit 'flat-spotty' and there is a hole in the power delivery without the button engaged. With it on, the sudden surge of power that you get from about 3500 revs always makes me smile. Great in 2nd and 3rd!

I have a 2018 105 500S and always drive with the sport button on to utilise all 105 horses, the heavier steering and gas pedal.

With the Sport button off you are only getting IIRC 97 horses and I get an eco gauge rather than a G-Force meter / turbo gauge.

I have a Fiat 500 Sport. So I've I've got the little sport button on mine. I've never ad sport mode on any car I've driven before, and laugh if you like, but I'm not sure if and when I should or should not be using it.

I live and daily drive the 500 in a big city and my daily commute to work includes a short drive on a freeway. I've done the commute both in and out of sport mode, and I personally notice I much prefer to use it on the freeway then in stop and go rush hour traffic. But honestly I have no idea if I'm doing it right. Obviously because I do commute a fair distance, two considerations I will always have in a car are gas mileage and handling. My car handles it seems perfectly for me in or out of sport mode, and I do know the mileage can drop a bit while using it...

Also I drive an automatic, if that makes any difference at all.

My mom’s 500 has the 1.4 engine and the six speed automatic and she uses sport mode all the time for accelerating in front of traffic or trying to get around somebody or getting on the freeway it is very useful.
With the automatics it does take away fuel, as the car holds revs longer preventing it from slowing down naturally but you can fix that by shifting manumaticly. That could be why my mom’s car is at 19 miles per gallon, but that’s not a big deal it’s a little Fiat it deserves to be in the higher rpms it loves it.

Yup, take-up is a bit 'flat-spotty' and there is a hole in the power delivery without the button engaged. With it on, the sudden surge of power that you get from about 3500 revs always makes me smile. Great in 2nd and 3rd!

At one point my mom had to go around somebody that was going 20 miles an hour in a 40 zone and she went to go put her foot down in the car did nothing I ended up having to put it in sport mode putting it manual and downshifting from 3rd to 1st really quickly for her because the automatic did nothing. That was the first time and last time that happened.

Putting my 2015 Pop into Sport mode makes my check engine light come on every time; for some reason, the engine revs really high and seems to "get stuck." I should probably get that checked out . . . :p

Putting my 2015 Pop into Sport mode makes my check engine light come on every time; for some reason, the engine revs really high and seems to "get stuck." I should probably get that checked out . . . :p

Hi, did you get it checked?.. I'm having the same problem, 1.4 Sport, normal mode is fine but as soon as I press the sport button the revs climb to about 3-3500k. I'm wondering if it's an o2 sensor. Car is a 2008 model. Thanks

Hi, did you get it checked?.. I'm having the same problem, 1.4 Sport, normal mode is fine but as soon as I press the sport button the revs climb to about 3-3500k. I'm wondering if it's an o2 sensor. Car is a 2008 model. Thanks

I haven't gotten it checked out yet, but I'm sure you are right about it being an O2 sensor; that makes sense.

It sounds expensive! Therefore, I'm going to procrastinate as long as possible.

I don't notice any unusual performance issues if I drive the car normally, so I just keep it out of sport mode.

Ours is going to be looked at this week, if it is the o2 sensor i'll update this thread - very fussy little cars these. Cracked manifold, slave cylinder and o2? sensor this week - all inherited when we got the car. But, im not giving up on it.

A twin air 105 here with a sport button. When we bought the car we were led to believe the car ran at 85hp and then 105 with sport engaged.
Anyone confirm or deny this please.
It may help with my search for exhaust centre section

FYI - I finally took my car into the dealership to get the engine checked, and they said something was wrong with the engine but they are not sure what it is. They are keeping it overnight to run tests on it. Please pray for my car!! I'm so scared it's something really expensive.

The shop said there is a lot of carbon build up inside the throttle body and fuel injectors / spark plugs / air filter (whatever all that means). They want to charge me $650- to remedy the situation, but I am on the fence. This is a lot of money and I don't know how much is too much. I also had a brake light that needed to be replaced, and they want to charge me $75.00. I don't know what to do!

The shop said there is a lot of carbon build up inside the throttle body and fuel injectors / spark plugs / air filter (whatever all that means). They want to charge me $650- to remedy the situation, but I am on the fence. This is a lot of money and I don't know how much is too much. I also had a brake light that needed to be replaced, and they want to charge me $75.00. I don't know what to do!
Just do the Italian Tune Up! Ok, maybe not. Too much carbon probably. Do you have a picture at all, if they let you take one?

Manual or Dualogic? If it's a Dualogic then it probably just down shifted. Our AISIN FIAT does that. In Sport, 40 miles an hour, it'll downshift into 3rd, and hang at 4k revs until you manually shift it up. It gets really annoying sometimes.

Back