Off Topic Which car have you owned/driven proved the closest to the Fiat 500 ?

Currently reading:
Off Topic Which car have you owned/driven proved the closest to the Fiat 500 ?

Nice to meet you Tazio and as much as this is a Fiat forum (and it should definitely stay that way) it's nice to know there is someone out there with as equally a brash a taste in huge American motors as I do! ;)

Pleased to meet you too! Yup, also in my neck of the woods yankee car fans and italian car fans do not normally mix.

Allthough, there are surprisingly large # of Alfisti who have a Cherokee or something similar for those days when the going gets tough.

-Tazio

Pleased to meet you too! Yup, also in my neck of the woods yankee car fans and italian car fans do not normally mix.

Allthough, there are surprisingly large # of Alfisti who have a Cherokee or something similar for those days when the going gets tough.

-Tazio

I stayed with a very good friend last weekend who showed me his 1978 Special Edition Corvette. Only 18,000 miles done from new. Sat all cozy in his garage. He let me climb inside and sit in it. The experience of just sitting in this unbelievable motor, was absolutely awesome. I would have loved to have had a drive in it, but sadly the insurance would have been too much!

I stayed with a very good friend last weekend who showed me his 1978 Special Edition Corvette. Only 18,000 miles done from new. Sat all cozy in his garage. He let me climb inside and sit in it. The experience of just sitting in this unbelievable motor, was absolutely awesome. I would have loved to have had a drive in it, but sadly the insurance would have been too much!
:Offtopic:

When I was in the Middle East back in the ‘80s some of the US expatriates bought Corvettes as their 'personal' cars. Petrol was practically for nothing (and still is) – so their view was if they couldn’t afford to drive them back home then they would do it there. I was a little more sensible and saved my money driving a Mazda 323 1.3 – now wasn’t that a waste :bang:. On a more recent trip to Dubai (got a gift of 2 tickets that were won in a raffle) times have really changed with a huge number of high end cars abandoned at the airports of expatriates ‘doing a runner’ (this is still going on).

The Shelby Mustang GT500 for me was a US car that really caught my attention in Gone in Sixty seconds I did have a desire to buy one of these until I realised they were mega expensive and supposedly did around 13-15mpg :rolleyes:. I liked the scene where the car wouldn’t start and had to be coaxed into life and also the helicopter chase scene.

Another car that caught my attention was the 1972 Ford Torino (similar to the Starsky & Hutch) in Grand Torino but I had no desire for this Ford but it is interesting how the tightening of the US regulations created a classic. Clint Eastwood played his role brilliantly – not only as a talented director but can still act as well – a legend. After watching this film I gave my dad a ring.

Looking at the Chrysler partnership with Fiat I can’t help thinking that we will see a lot more US influence in some of the Fiat designs. I find it hard to think that the new Chrysler Ypsilon is actually European. It’s a lot different to the Lancia Y10 turbo which used the 1050cc engine in the 127 Sport but with an IHI turbo. :yum: I did think about putting this engine into the 127 but this car wasn’t sold in Ireland.:)

Attachments

• Lancia Y10 Turbo.jpg
    Lancia Y10 Turbo.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
There's a 166 v6 on sale on a forum I frequent for ~750 quid IIRC :) Red leather and everything :)

I remember spending many a long hour looking for a 166, facelift model. Oh well, that boat sailed many years ago. I need to wait and see what, if anything Alfa will offer in the future (if it survives). Did you know, Alfa UK now only sell two cars (as in models not volume!).

I remember spending many a long hour looking for a 166, facelift model. Oh well, that boat sailed many years ago. I need to wait and see what, if anything Alfa will offer in the future (if it survives). Did you know, Alfa UK now only sell two cars (as in models not volume!).

That is a worry. And with the Chrylser 'brand' that may not change.

:Offtopic:

When I was in the Middle East back in the ‘80s some of the US expatriates bought Corvettes as their 'personal' cars. Petrol was practically for nothing (and still is) – so their view was if they couldn’t afford to drive them back home then they would do it there. I was a little more sensible and saved my money driving a Mazda 323 1.3 – now wasn’t that a waste :bang:. On a more recent trip to Dubai (got a gift of 2 tickets that were won in a raffle) times have really changed with a huge number of high end cars abandoned at the airports of expatriates ‘doing a runner’ (this is still going on).

The Shelby Mustang GT500 for me was a US car that really caught my attention in Gone in Sixty seconds I did have a desire to buy one of these until I realised they were mega expensive and supposedly did around 13-15mpg :rolleyes:. I liked the scene where the car wouldn’t start and had to be coaxed into life and also the helicopter chase scene.

Another car that caught my attention was the 1972 Ford Torino (similar to the Starsky & Hutch) in Grand Torino but I had no desire for this Ford but it is interesting how the tightening of the US regulations created a classic. Clint Eastwood played his role brilliantly – not only as a talented director but can still act as well – a legend. After watching this film I gave my dad a ring.

Looking at the Chrysler partnership with Fiat I can’t help thinking that we will see a lot more US influence in some of the Fiat designs. I find it hard to think that the new Chrysler Ypsilon is actually European. It’s a lot different to the Lancia Y10 turbo which used the 1050cc engine in the 127 Sport but with an IHI turbo. :yum: I did think about putting this engine into the 127 but this car wasn’t sold in Ireland.:)

Like you and Frupi I also have a soft spot for Vettes, going back to late seventies very early '80's. Haven't owned one (yet) though.

The red and white Torino obviously made a mark :=) Allthough for some reason even the hottest Mustang don't get me very excited, frankly Ford's seldom do. Guess I'm more of a GM man.

BTW: I used to own a red Y10 just like in your photo (with FIRE engine) in '90's. It was my second Y10 and both were much loved and abused.

-Tazio

That is a worry. And with the Chrylser 'brand' that may not change.

I have read a few articles about a replacement for the 159 and 166 to be rear drive and with V6s. But the problem will be if Fiat want to invest in the brand. And I doubt franchised dealers can survive selling two models currently, it is not as if the replacements are likely any time soon.

I have read a few articles about a replacement for the 159 and 166 to be rear drive and with V6s. But the problem will be if Fiat want to invest in the brand. And I doubt franchised dealers can survive selling two models currently, it is not as if the replacements are likely any time soon.

Thinking about the 'line-up' of the range you are probably excluding the 159 give that the current choices of the Mito & Giulietta.
Autoexpress did mention about a 5 door Mito and [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfa_Romeo"]wiki[/ame] did give the plans for 2013 (4C, S-SUV) & 2014 (New spider, 169, Giulia Sedan & station wagon).
And of course we not forgetting the 8C which I think was sold out in RHD.

... Looking at the 500 models these would be the characteristics of the models...Twin Air (burble sound and burst of speed), 1.2 69bhp (economy) & 1.4 99bhp (bit of power).

My shortlist would be the following: Classic 500 (TA), Classic Mini (500 1.2), Classic Ka (500 1.2), 127 Sport (500 1.4)

In looking at the title 'proved the closest to the Fiat 500' I'm going to take the liberty of revamping it to 'proved the closest to the Fiat 500 in memory'.

To bring this to a conclusion 'later entries / suggestions' are allowed but I would like to put it to a vote.:devil: (Closing date Friday 13th Jan.'12)

Final list below is comprised of the following...

Fiat 127 Sport
Mini Metro - wrong era / not 'italian' enough
Panda 100HP - too much modern day
Panda 1.2 - too much modern day
Renault 5 GT Turbo - too fast
Fiat Uno - not enough character
Classic Fiat 500
Classic Mini
Citreon Dyane (for the attention you get !) -too french
Audi A2 1.4 (Aluminum body) - too high tech
Classic Fiat Panda Mk1
Classic Ford Ka
Classic Fiat 600 - underrated and should be included but doesn't have the appeal
Fiat 126 (Bambino) - not as loved as the 500
Peugeot 205GTI 1.6 - too fast
Kia Picanto - too Far Eastern
Mini Cooper 1275

So this is the short list that I would suggest...
Fiat 127 Sport (sorry about the bias)
Classic Fiat 500
Classic Mini
Classic Ford Ka
Classic Fiat Panda Mk1
Mini Cooper 1275

So any suggestions on what to remove from the short list or to include from the full list above ?

If the FF is interested I could ask for a Poll so that people can vote or will can leave the list intact. For me it would be too difficult to get a 'winner'.

Thinking about the 'line-up' of the range you are probably excluding the 159 give that the current choices of the Mito & Giulietta.
Autoexpress did mention about a 5 door Mito and wiki did give the plans for 2013 (4C, S-SUV) & 2014 (New spider, 169, Giulia Sedan & station wagon).
And of course we not forgetting the 8C which I think was sold out in RHD.

thats right, neither the 159, Brera or Gt are available any more. That leaves just the Mito and Giulietta available to order new.

Final list below is comprised of the following...

Fiat 127 Sport
Mini Metro - wrong era / not 'italian' enough
Panda 100HP - too much modern day
Panda 1.2 - too much modern day
Renault 5 GT Turbo - too fast
Fiat Uno - not enough character
Classic Fiat 500
Classic Mini
Citreon Dyane (for the attention you get !) -too french
Audi A2 1.4 (Aluminum body) - too high tech
Classic Fiat Panda Mk1
Classic Ford Ka
Classic Fiat 600 - underrated and should be included but doesn't have the appeal
Fiat 126 (Bambino) - not as loved as the 500
Peugeot 205GTI 1.6 - too fast
Kia Picanto - too Far Eastern
Mini Cooper 1275

So this is the short list that I would suggest...
Fiat 127 Sport (sorry about the bias)
Classic Fiat 500
Classic Mini
Classic Ford Ka
Classic Fiat Panda Mk1
Mini Cooper 1275

So any suggestions on what to remove from the short list or to include from the full list above ?

If the FF is interested I could ask for a Poll so that people can vote or will can leave the list intact. For me it would be too difficult to get a 'winner'.

It's funny, at the time I thought my 1.6 Gti was the fastest thing on 4 wheels. I'd love to try it now and see how it compares.

The final list is a little surprising, these are all frisky old-school small cars that by modern standards are light and "tinny". So it seems that the fun-factor is the main reason, as distinct from the feel and general vibe of the car.

I have found with the 500 that it has extra character / personality, and the feeling that it gives something extra compared to all the other sanitised boring cars on the road today. There is a nice, solid, quality feel to the controls and fittings that sets it above e.g. the Panda and earlier Puntos etc.

For that reason I would include in the list the later Rover 200 / 25 model: my mum had from new an N-reg 1.4 8V that also had a quality feel with chunky steering wheel, firm seats and a lovely direct feeling when driving. The engine had a nice gruff growl and pulled well, and when I fitted 15" alloys the handling was surprisingly good. I always enjoyed borrowing it and experiencing the different feel compared to my Tipo and Brava.

The Rover was finally traded for a silver 500 Sport, but I was sad to see it go. It had a totally different front suspension setup to the Fiat design all our cars are stuck with, and never needed an endless stream of replacement wishbones, droplinks, ARB bushes etc.

A very underrated car IMO, the 16V engines are sadly notorious for HG failures, but the 8V was reliable if not terribly economical.

The final list is a little surprising, these are all frisky old-school small cars that by modern standards are light and "tinny". So it seems that the fun-factor is the main reason, as distinct from the feel and general vibe of the car.

I have found with the 500 that it has extra character / personality, and the feeling that it gives something extra compared to all the other sanitised boring cars on the road today. There is a nice, solid, quality feel to the controls and fittings that sets it above e.g. the Panda and earlier Puntos etc.

For that reason I would include in the list the later Rover 200 / 25 model: my mum had from new an N-reg 1.4 8V that also had a quality feel with chunky steering wheel, firm seats and a lovely direct feeling when driving. The engine had a nice gruff growl and pulled well, and when I fitted 15" alloys the handling was surprisingly good. I always enjoyed borrowing it and experiencing the different feel compared to my Tipo and Brava.

The Rover was finally traded for a silver 500 Sport, but I was sad to see it go. It had a totally different front suspension setup to the Fiat design all our cars are stuck with, and never needed an endless stream of replacement wishbones, droplinks, ARB bushes etc.

A very underrated car IMO, the 16V engines are sadly notorious for HG failures, but the 8V was reliable if not terribly economical.

You have given good justification to revise the short list of 6 to include the Rover 200 / 25. I've dropped the Panda Mk1 since as you put it - it probably falls into the 'tinny' bracket. There's a good article on wiki on your car. I've driven the 1.8 in the MGF and it had a gruff nature. Had not realised that the 16V were unreliable since I thought that the VVC was the one to got for. The car is a supermini and it had a great range of engines. I could never work out if it it was British or Japanesse and sometimes thought that it was a Japanesse car with a British shell.

Revised short list...
Fiat 127 Sport
Classic Fiat 500
Classic Mini
Classic Ford Ka
Rover 200 /25
Mini Cooper 1275

Attachments

• 250px-2002_rover_25_arp.jpg
    250px-2002_rover_25_arp.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
The R3 Rover 200 (and then face lifted into the 25) is based on the R8 (1989-1996 Rover 200/Honda Concerto) with a bit of length taken out of the floor and a modified Maestro twist beam rear suspension rather than the original (and quite space robbing) Honda multi-link rear.

It was a £200 Million facelift on the R8 - done when BAe owned Rover and had a very tight grip on finances. The 200 Vi was a very capable, unassuming looking car - with a zingy 1.8 VVC K series which had a wide power range and happily revved to 7200.

Sadly, the K series' great reputation was tarnished when the 'damp liner' (post 1995 - modified to enlarge the capacity to 1.6 and 1.8) was released, the production engineering standards in terms of tolerances weren't great as the bean counters got control. A properly rebuilt K is a very, very tough engine, and no more prone to failure than any other engine. Extremely light, too - just over 100Kgs, wet - the leader in it's class for a very long time, and not at all bad for an engine designed in the early 80s. Blew everything out of the water in 1988-89 when it first came out, and was very tough in its original 'wet liner' (top hung) block configuration.

(You might have guessed I know a fair bit about Rover cars).

A properly rebuilt K is a very, very tough engine, and no more prone to failure than any other engine. Extremely light, too - just over 100Kgs, wet - the leader in it's class for a very long time, and not at all bad for an engine designed in the early 80s. Blew everything out of the water in 1988-89 when it first came out, and was very tough in its original 'wet liner' (top hung) block configuration.

...hence its use for many years as the powerplant of choice by Caterham Cars.

I've never driven a FIAT 500 so can't really say what I have driven that is in any way similar.

I have however worn a dress which made me feel a bit girly and gay in the same way that a FIAT 500 does

Attempts to dodge being hit with a large banning stick

Last edited:
I've never driven a FIAT 500 so can't really say what I have driven that is in any way similar.

I have however worn a dress which made me feel a bit girly and gay in the same way that a FIAT 500 does

Attempts to dodge being hit with a large banning stick

After it was brought to our attention your attempts at budget snow tyres the thoughts would be too much :p. If 'on the other hand' you drove a 500 you might be tempted.;)

Back