Off Topic Which car have you owned/driven proved the closest to the Fiat 500 ?

Currently reading:
Off Topic Which car have you owned/driven proved the closest to the Fiat 500 ?

The only car I've loved as much as my 500 was my Mk1 Panda, the first of six Fiats I've owned. I previously had a Talbot Sunbeam 1.6S which didn't handle, wasn't fast and drank fuel like it was going out of fashion. On my way back from a treasure hunt and I ended up following a colleague in her Panda, I kept up but it was hard work. A few weeks later I had a Panda of my own.

It had had a hard life before I got it, I eventually came to suspect it had been in a big accident before I got it, but I loved it nonetheless. After thinking that its 900cc engine wouldn't take too much abuse I went on a motorway and was passed by numerous other Pandas doing 85mph and they didn't blow up. I soon realised that the throttle was meant to be kept pressed hard down all the time and slowing down for corners lost valuable momentum.

Two sunroofs, deck-chairs for front seats (yes, they were removable!), a rear seat that came out altogether turning the car into a van.

Brilliant!

I've added the recent contributions to the list...

Fiat 127 Sport
Mini Metro
Panda 100HP
Panda 1.2
Renault 5 GT Turbo
Fiat Uno
'72 Fiat 500
Classic Mini
Citreon Dyane (for the attention you get !)
Audi A2 1.4 (Aluminum body)
Classic Fiat Panda Mk1
Classic Ford Ka
Fiat 600
Fiat 126 (Bambino)
Peugeot 205GTI 1.6

I had a little look elsewhere for references to the similarities to the Fiat 500 and this was what I came up with...
http://www.cartuningtips.com/270-fiat-500-tuning
500 closest to the classic mini
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives/Search-Results/First-drives/Fiat-500-Twinair-2011-CAR-review/
I haven’t driven the twin-pot 1957 Fiat 500, but I’ll wager it sounded a bit like this. And that’s a good thing. It suits the car.

Looking at the 500 models these would be the characteristics of the models...Twin Air (burble sound and burst of speed), 1.2 69bhp (economy) & 1.4 99bhp (bit of power).

My shortlist would be the following: Classic 500 (TA), Classic Mini (500 1.2), Classic Ka (500 1.2), 127 Sport (500 1.4)

In looking at the title 'proved the closest to the Fiat 500' I'm going to take the liberty of revamping it to 'proved the closest to the Fiat 500 in memory'.

To bring this to a conclusion 'later entries / suggestions' are allowed but I would like to put it to a vote.:devil: (Closing date Friday 13th Jan.'12)

For me it's the 127 Sport 1050cc 70HP

Last edited:
I couldn't agree more, anything two litre/turbo charged and above will always make anything else seem like peddling a push bike up Mount Everest, that's why I drive a Cadillac. Getting into the 500 after driving that is like, well, as above!

Off-topic, but can't resist: what Cadillac are you driving?

-Tazio

Off-topic, but can't resist: what Cadillac are you driving?

-Tazio

I will be deliberately vague to protect the innocent and only say it's very large, is black and is in no way environmentally friendly. Yes, it chokes people on its fumes and I don't care, really, I don't care - I don't own any kids! :p
I do however contribute to the many taxes the Government seem fit to charge us for driving such obnoxious beasts about. At least it doesn't have bull bars......Nor is it pink!

IMHO the 'old' Ford Ka should qualify. I kinda liked the simplicity of it despite not having the Zetec engine. There was a demand for one without power steering because it saved 3-4mpg. The similiarities may be in the engine size of 1.3 and the 1.2 of the 500 and possibly the shape.

Definitely. I drove one for the ten years before buying the 500 & ran just over 102,000 miles in it - and it was still working well when I sold it on. For almost the first year of 500 ownership I ran the two alongside each other & so my comparison is still reasonably fresh.

The Ka most certainly had the better ride of the two and also had decent steering feel for a small car - but the fuel penalty from the hydraulic power steering was considerable and the lifetime consumption was just a shade over 40mpg. Emissions were 165g/km, which also made it rather expensive to tax. If I keep my 500 for 100,000 miles, it will save me almost £6500 in fuel and VED alone (at current prices), which will go a long way towards the £8500 I paid for it. :)

At launch, the Ka was possibly the best car in its class but it was ahead of its time (apart from the prehistoric engine) and took a few years to achieve popularity in the market. I'm sure Ford could have sold a lot more in the early days if they'd launched with the Zetec powerplant, but those sales would most likely have been at the expense of the Fiesta (which was by then looking very old & the Zetec was probably the only thing it had going for it).

Last edited:
Definitely. I drove one for the ten years before buying the 500 & ran just over 102,000 miles in it - and it was still working well when I sold it on. For almost the first year of 500 ownership I ran the two alongside each other & so my comparison is still reasonably fresh.

The Ka most certainly had the better ride of the two and also had decent steering feel for a small car - but the fuel penalty from the hydraulic power steering was considerable and the lifetime consumption was just a shade over 40mpg. Emissions were 165g/km, which also made it rather expensive to tax. If I keep my 500 for 100,000 miles, it will save me almost £6500 in fuel and VED alone (at current prices), which will go a long way towards the £8500 I paid for it. :)

At launch, the Ka was possibly the best car in its class but it was ahead of its time (apart from the prehistoric engine) and took a few years to achieve popularity in the market. I'm sure Ford could have sold a lot more in the early days if they'd launched with the Zetec powerplant, but those sales would most likely have been at the expense of the Fiesta (which was by then looking very old & the Zetec was probably the only thing it had going for it).
Some major rust issues though!

Some major rust issues though!

Probably no worse than the Mk1 Panda, with which it was contemporaneous at launch.

I undersealed mine when I first got it & never had a problem.

I reckon it was good for another 5yrs when I sold it on.

But yes - anyone buying a secondhand one should take care.

Last edited:
Probably no worse than the Mk1 Panda, with which it was contemporaneous at launch.

I undersealed mine when I first got it & never had a problem.

I reckon it was good for another 5yrs when I sold it on.

But yes - anyone buying a secondhand one should take care.

To be fair though mk1 Panda was introduced in 1980 and the Ka 1996.

definitely my old mini cooper 1275 although the mini had better handling (y)

The new 500 brings back the minis fun in a so far reliable package

Attachments

• IMG_0950 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0950 (Large).JPG
    142.2 KB · Views: 20
definitely my old mini cooper 1275 although the mini had better handling (y)

The new 500 brings back the minis fun in a so far reliable package

Mini Cooper 1275cc as distinct from the Classic Mini. Nice one for a 'Garage collection' if you had one with it making the most of its 55bhp.:)

ive owned three minis (1000 and 1300gts) and a kia picanto in the past. All fun to drive and small cars. On looking for a similiar small car this time round after downsizing from my camper the 500 fitted the bill in terms of similiar driving and the styling of the twinair and unique sound / excelleration sold it to me. :)

ive owned three minis (1000 and 1300gts) and a kia picanto in the past. All fun to drive and small cars. On looking for a similiar small car this time round after downsizing from my camper the 500 fitted the bill in terms of similiar driving and the styling of the twinair and unique sound / excelleration sold it to me. :)

If you have to pick just one model which would be the closest ?

If you have to pick just one model which would be the closest ?

There is no car i can think of that matches the essence of the Fiat 500. It really is unique. Its not like it is a 5 series, then you can compare it with an E class or an A6.

I think this is one of those major selling points.

None of those German VW Golf style cars that have about 5 direct rivals.

That was the one I was thinking of. (y)
I never owned one but had a drive from a guy that I knew. I was in the underdog RS CVH Turbo at the time. You had some nice cars and quite a few alfas. :)

The GTV I had for three years, and it was 100% reliable, although I was very sad to find out that it was no longer around when I ran a registration check on it not that long ago. 156 had a few issues mind...

I'm looking for a replacement for the grown up car at the moment, and it is a shameAlfa don't make one that fits the bill, I almost bought a 166 3.2 a few years ago, but went for the Bmw instead, I regret that decision now though.

I will be deliberately vague to protect the innocent and only say it's very large, is black and is in no way environmentally friendly. Yes, it chokes people on its fumes and I don't care, really, I don't care - I don't own any kids! :p
I do however contribute to the many taxes the Government seem fit to charge us for driving such obnoxious beasts about. At least it doesn't have bull bars......Nor is it pink!

No worries mate! I do have kids, Caddy and a full size pick up to boot :=0

-Tazio

The GTV I had for three years, and it was 100% reliable, although I was very sad to find out that it was no longer around when I ran a registration check on it not that long ago. 156 had a few issues mind...

I'm looking for a replacement for the grown up car at the moment, and it is a shameAlfa don't make one that fits the bill, I almost bought a 166 3.2 a few years ago, but went for the Bmw instead, I regret that decision now though.

There's a 166 v6 on sale on a forum I frequent for ~750 quid IIRC :) Red leather and everything :)

No worries mate! I do have kids, Caddy and a full size pick up to boot :=0

-Tazio

Nice to meet you Tazio and as much as this is a Fiat forum (and it should definitely stay that way) it's nice to know there is someone out there with as equally a brash a taste in huge American motors as I do! ;)

Nice to meet you Tazio and as much as this is a Fiat forum (and it should definitely stay that way) it's nice to know there is someone out there with as equally a brash a taste in huge American motors as I do! ;)

It is a Fiat forum, but I've always felt that people should be free to discuss other cars in here, some some to think that it should only be Fiat or Italian car talk.

There is no car i can think of that matches the essence of the Fiat 500. It really is unique. Its not like it is a 5 series, then you can compare it with an E class or an A6.

I think this is one of those major selling points.

None of those German VW Golf style cars that have about 5 direct rivals.

The 500 is a unique position of not currently having any real competitors (MINI excluded). But looking back at the cars that were around there are quite a lot of similarities. The original Mark 1 Golf had supposedly the same dimensions as the F500. Cars then were light since they had no airbags or strengthened structures, etc. Engines were simple (you could maintain them yourself). Changing an engine was no big deal since you didn’t have the complication of ‘marrying’ a ECU to the engine. Reading about the Mini Cooper S it suffering gearbox problems once the power was increased from the ‘standard’ 72bhp.

This 127 Sport 70HP with its 1050cc engine was a bit of a cracker and when they brought out the 1300cc version with a 5 speed it was a bit ugly and the engine couldn’t rev in the same way as on the 1050cc. Plus it got heavier in comparison to the earlier edition 775kg.
http://www.automobile-catalog.com/make/fiat/127/127_series_ii_3-door_sport/1978.html

This car for me grabbed the essence of the 500.

Last edited:
Back