What are the wires across the road?

Currently reading:
What are the wires across the road?

MissR

Established member
Does anyone know what those wires are that are put across the width of roads now and again?
Is it for speed? Or car numbers? Or something else altogether?

They count cars, if they are monitoring speed they usually go with overhead cameras since gauging speed between two wires is difficult unless every single car has an identical distance between axles.
Doesn't matter, 1st wire triggers timer, 2nd wire stops it. Wires set distance apart, time recorded - speed is easy yo work out from that :)

(That is, until the local kids come along and rip 'em up :devil: lol)

Doesn't matter, 1st wire triggers timer, 2nd wire stops it. Wires set distance apart, time recorded - speed is easy yo work out from that :)

Lol. I was about to say why are there 2 if they don't do speed then.

For speed now though there are new ones that they mount behind signs. Not sure exactly how they work though.

Possible general traffic survey or survey for new speed camera site.

One near us became a regular occourance and after about 12 months was replaced by a big shiney gatso.

Sorry, physics class seems like a lifetime ago.

I wonder if it'd would completely ruin the count if you drove over the first wire, backed off it and went around it.

They use them for a number of reasons. Monitoring traffic flow in an area, monitoring average speed in an area, levels of traffic, types of traffic. etc, etc.

They can be used to justify speed cameras as well. If the average speed (of a given percentile of vehicles) is above a certain level, they have automatic justification to install traffic calming measures - be it cameras, bumps, traffic priority thingies and so on. No need to take account of accident stats whatsoever.

Have you noticed that they all seem to come out at a specific time of year too? Just in time to inform authorities of what they should plan to spend their next year's budget on - amazing that...

They use them for a number of reasons. Monitoring traffic flow in an area, monitoring average speed in an area, levels of traffic, types of traffic. etc, etc.

They can be used to justify speed cameras as well. If the average speed (of a given percentile of vehicles) is above a certain level, they have automatic justification to install traffic calming measures - be it cameras, bumps, traffic priority thingies and so on. No need to take account of accident stats whatsoever.

Have you noticed that they all seem to come out at a specific time of year too? Just in time to inform authorities of what they should plan to spend their next year's budget on - amazing that...[/QUOTE]

:eek: No brainer IMO!

FIX THE FRICKIN POTHOLES! :mad:

:eek: No brainer IMO!

FIX THE FRICKIN POTHOLES! :mad:
Nahh...They won't do that...it's the cheapest traffic calming measure they have!! Best of it is, the more people use those roads, the more effective they are at reducing the average speed!! (y)

It's getting ridiculous, for example, I live on one of the main roads leading into the town centre, and despite the 20mph limit (school zone) people are still doing 40, 50, or more! We've had countless surveys over the years, the last one the wires were on the ground for no more than 45 minutes, right near the end of the road - so the average speed recorded was 17mph!! And the only "traffic calming measure" we have is friggin' potholes!!

I'm waffling now, so I'll shut up lol

Last edited:
Nahh...They won't do that...it's the cheapest traffic calming measure they have!! Best of it is, the more people use those roads, the more effective they are at reducing the average speed!! (y)

It's getting ridiculous, for example, I live on one of the main roads leading into the town centre, and despite the 20mph limit (school zone) people are still doing 40, 50, or more! We've had countless surveys over the years, the last one the wires were on the ground for no more than 45 minutes, right near the end of the road - so the average speed recorded was 17mph!! And the only "traffic calming measure" we have is friggin' potholes!!

I'm waffling now, so I'll shut up lol

I HATE the disregard local and National Government have towards motorists... tell me... what would ACTUALLY happen if we all didnt use our cars anymore... none of us... dont they get it?

Back