Un-fit for work?

Currently reading:
Un-fit for work?

I believe Brummies do actually speak English, so I'm not quite sure how you expect the man to explain that you need to "drive to the roundabout and join the queue." Actually I missed out the bit where he said "turn right."

Brummies and most of the Midlands would never say "roundabout" unless they are talking about a fairground ride

11118.jpg

I should know this as I used to live in Birmingham, but what word do brummies use for those round things in the road that replaced cross roads, if it isn't roundabout?

its island, and mini roundabouts they call a paint island. i didnt know this once and asked for directions, they said keep going straight then turn right at the island, i drove for miles n miles straight across loads of roundabouts looking for a traffic island like this
traffic-refuge-island-redipave.jpg
:(

now see here https://www.fiatforum.com/leisure-lounge/324392-what-then.html?p=3229641

Last edited:
Brummies and most of the Midlands would never say "roundabout" unless they are talking about a fairground ride
There's no reason why he wouldn't have said "roundabout" as there were drivers there from all over the country. Having said that there was only one round thing that traffic went round in a clockwise direction and they were such a bunch of Bolshy g**s that they probably have a word for fire so nobody would get the fire brigade. After all, if the place burnt down they'd get a nice long holiday.

I've managed to find some images that might illustrate the location, if I can manage to copy them.

http://motorgraphs.motorfilms.co.uk...ridge-factory-british-leyland-1972-5472.html#

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&r...0he5G2HTBWsegQW7-HjTJA_A&ust=1367020277296896

I know wikipedia isn't 100% accurate but it does state that from 1978 to 1979, Derek Robinson was "behind" 523 strikes.....IN ONE YEAR! Oddly enough, my Mum's Mini was bought in 1979, but could well have been made any time in the previous 20 years

Last edited:
If you look at the first image you will see an entrance from a road on the middle right of the photo. Immediately on the left is a building which I think was the lodge, where you handed in your papers.....and sat and waited, with a parking area behind it.

After being told to "go to the roundabout, turn right and join the queue" you would drive back out of the parking area, turn left then go to the roundabout, turn right and then join the queue.

Just above the roundabout, in the image is a large building which I think was the receiving shed.

Of course I might be wrong.

So you visited a couple hospitals with an ill relative at some point in the past and know a couple of people who work in health care, and thinks this gives you the bigger picture on how the whole NHS is run?
my partner and I both work in health care and we've worked in hospitals both local and spread across the country, in every department from surgery and theatres to obstetrics and elderly medicine, we both trained at university and our peers are also spread to every corner of this land working in health care, health tourism is not the biggest issue facing the NHS today, its an issue but its not exactly at the top of the agenda when it comes to saving money or NHS resources

Currently health tourism depending on what you read is thought to cost anything from £7million to BILLIONS!!!! (if you believe the press figures based on absolutely no data) in all honesty no one can put a figure on what it is costing but a fairly accurate estimate based on the data is about £40million a year.

NHS reforms are thought to be costing about £300million, so you propose we reform the whole healthcare system again at god knows what cost to save about £40million a year?

34.1 million working age people in the UK and 30.1million pay into the pot so you want to make 30.1million working people and 27.9million children and elderly who have or will paid in to the system, suffer for the sake of 4million residents and a few ineligible immigrants

your private health care proposal could also condemn around 15million people a quarter of the population to a life without any healthcare because they are either too old or too disabled to get adequate cover for there needs?

I see no sanity in this plan what so-ever :bang:

What do you make of this Andy?

http://www.2020health.org/2020health/Press/latest-news/untitled0.html
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/h...n=29th+April+2013+Newsletter&utm_medium=email

Where did you get your figure of about £40m a year?

What do you make of this Andy?

This isn't by definition health Tourism, its essentially not the same thing.

All EU member states are required to have their own version of the NHS, if then a person is treated in a different EU country to that they originate from that country can claim back from the origin country's health care system. As pointed out in the article the NHS is crap at doing this where as other countries aren't.

health tourism is in essence where people have no free health care in their own country, so they travel abroad to benefit from a free health care system then sod off home again once treated.

an interesting story that came out yesterday is that the UK's current outstanding council tax bill is £2.4 billion which though the courts is much easier to pursue than chasing someone all over the world to pay up for a 16p packet of paracetamol

All EU member states are required to have their own version of the NHS, if then a person is treated in a different EU country to that they originate from that country can claim back from the origin country's health care system. As pointed out in the article the NHS is crap at doing this where as other countries aren't.

health tourism is in essence where people have no free health care in their own country, so they travel abroad to benefit from a free health care system then sod off home again once treated.

an interesting story that came out yesterday is that the UK's current outstanding council tax bill is £2.4 billion which though the courts is much easier to pursue than chasing someone all over the world to pay up for a 16p packet of paracetamol

Earlier you were arguing the case that health care, drugs, treatments and even dressings can be fantastically expensive, as we know, but you probably know more. So it is a bit fatuous to suggest that it is not really worth chasing people around the world "for a 16p packet of paracetomol", as I am quite sure that hardly anybody who visits a hospital for treatment has only a packet of paracetomol to show for it.
The point is, by your own admission, that the NHS is simply not geared up to collect money. If you go abroad they handle the finance first and leave it up to you to make sure it is in place. Here, we do the very noble thing by treating the sick and needy and then trying to get the money back afterwards.
I don't see why the NHS can't re-deploy some of its army of managers to be in charge of revenue where it is due.
And by the way, why should it be a choice between collecting council tax arrears or reclaiming what should rightfully be "our" taxpayer's money back to the NHS? We should be doing both - with vigour.

Earlier you were arguing the case that health care, drugs, treatments and even dressings can be fantastically expensive, as we know, but you probably know more. So it is a bit fatuous to suggest that it is not really worth chasing people around the world "for a 16p packet of paracetomol",

Really? i'm pretty sure I said this

Look at it logically and propose how you will completely prevent health tourism without spending further money? for every case costing a couple of thousand you could spend that again pursuing only to find these people can't pay anyway, so you double the cost get nothing back is this in the public interest?

even if the treatment or care costs £2000 it might not be worth pursuing, you need to be proactive and not reactive in these matters

I am quite sure that hardly anybody who visits a hospital for treatment has only a packet of paracetomol to show for it.
you'd be surprised.

In any case if you read the article properly you'll see that their is a very good reason why we are paying out so much and getting so little back from these EU countries which is a problem at government level, possibly even EU level and not at the doors of A&E departments, no amount of redeployed managers can currently fix the issue.

I agree. The problem is at Government level in respect of the EU is that we always follows the rules whereas many other nations in the EU pick and choose.
I also agree that we have to be pro-active - which is my point exactly.
There must be a way to get payment or insurance in advance from those who are not entitled to free care, in the majority of cases.
I am not blaming the NHS in any way at all, but there has never been a culture or mechanism for getting payments where they are due. Who can argue with that?

That' surprised me. I thought that in the EU the local health authority picked up the bulk of the tab with the patient making up the difference. As an example, in Italy a few years ago I suffered very badly with mosquito bites with my hand and face swelling quite badly. A trip to the local A&E, by taxi, not ambulance of course, saw me given an injection (can't remember if it was steroids or an anti-histamene) and sent on my way....via reception where I paid about £17, and that was with my E111 card. I didn't realise the bill came back here. Or have I read your reply incorrectly?

A few years before that, also in Italy, I realised I hadn't packed enough diabetic test strips, so a trip to the local pharmacist was in order. This time I didn't have my E111 card and a tub of 50 cost €40!!!

Last edited:
What I also learned from the Telegraph article is this:

EU migrants who work in the UK are classified as being resident here and qualify for free NHS health care, meaning that if they travel back to their homeland for health care they are considered UK citizens and the bill is sent back here to be picked up by the NHS.

So wherever they are ill, we end up paying! It can't be right can it?

EU migrants who work in the UK are classified as being resident here and qualify for free NHS health care, meaning that if they travel back to their homeland for health care they are considered UK citizens and the bill is sent back here to be picked up by the NHS.

Basically if you have lived and worked in the UK for more than 6 months and paid your taxes and national insurance then you are entitled to free NHS treatment, other countries are using this to claim money from the NHS when these people return to their own countries

Back