Best metal for socket sets?

Currently reading:
Best metal for socket sets?

Which is the best/strongest metal for sockets?

There seem to be lots of different types of steel and some must be better than others.

I need an 11mm socket for a half inch wrench. I have the rest of the socket sizes I need, but rather than buying a single socket I'm thinking about buying this set made from CR-V Ming Vanadium Steel.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Which is the best/strongest metal for sockets?

There seem to be lots of different types of steel and some must be better than others.

I need an 11mm socket for a half inch wrench. I have the rest of the socket sizes I need, but rather than buying a single socket I'm thinking about buying this set made from CR-V Ming Vanadium Steel.

Not about the sort of metal so much as buying a decent make. You get what you pay for, also depends on how much you value your knuckles!

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
I probably shouldn't go bargain basement. I've seen the type of metal I posted in my ebay link before and it had a skin which peeled off.

Your product does look better and has the 11mm socket I need.

Your link has sockets with 12 points, I presume they are better than 6 point sockets, but what would the reason be?

I normally have 12 point as normal sockets then buy a set of impact sockets as these are 6 sided and can then be used when something feels particularly stubborn as 6 sided are less likely to round off a nut, obviously these are used on my impact wrench as well. Personal preference really

The 6 point black impact drivers type are well known to be the strongest.
Not often the most practical as they are chunkier and like to rust in the rain.

Probably, depends what you want them for, I only use them for difficult or very tight bolts (subframes etc).
That set misses some other now common sizes, 12mm, 15mm, 16mm are all common.

I bought this one recently because of not having the right size for some of the lower arm bolts:

It is for very tight shock bolts, i've killed 2 adapters and an 11mm on 3/8 inch already.

Your set does look better, but I really only need the 11mm in 1/2 inch, so I'm gonna buy the £14 set. They are sold and delivered by Amazon tomorrow, which is a plus.

I wouldn't hold out much hope for an 11mm head if you need half inch impact sockets.

I think it's only the professional series that come with the warranty from halfords.

Sorry, I'm a bit late to this "party" however, just in case it might help someone else?

There are a whole raft of "mid" quality tool brands, I suspect many just being brands of one of the "tool giants" like Apex: https://www.apextoolgroup.com/ which are very good buys. Personally I've been very pleased with some I've bought branded Bergen, Nielsen, and US Pro (think Bergen's range is now all branded US Pro? I just can't keep up with it all!) The Halfords professional/expert stuff is very good too. Draper and Laser come to mind too.

Back in the 1960's when I was starting to build up my tool kit 1/2" drive was what most people went for so much of my stuff is 1/2". However, with the advent of metric fixings sizes became smaller and 3/8" drive became very popular. 3/8 is handy for getting into smaller spaces but you really can't beat 1/2" for tight/seized stuff - well, actually, you can, but not unless you're thinking of spending more cash than a lot of folk find reasonable.

The problem is what should you buy as a basic starter? I'd still advise 1/2" drive for it's "robustness" with maybe a small 3/8" set to back it up for getting into tight corners. and I can strongly recommend Bergen/US pro's Xi-ION single hex sockets. Here's an add for a 1/2" drive set: https://berlintools.co.uk/products/bergen-20pcs-1-2-drive-6-point-shallow-xi-ion-sockets-8mm-32mm There are a number of manufacturers now making these sockets with the "grippy" slots and I can vouch for the fact they really work very well on damaged fixings. Personally I like the black "impact" sockets so I can use them with my air gun (standard chromed ones tend to break if used with impact guns) Here's a picture of a 19mm deep socket - on the left - with the slots and a normal "shallow" 19mm impact socket.

P1110704.JPG

I tend to reach for the deep sockets by default.

Of course if you buy them like this you're going to need to buy something to drive them with. The ratchets that come boxed with a cheapish set of sockets are nearly always made down to a price so I think you're better to buy a set of sockets and then a separate ratchet - 24 tooth is common and usually pretty robust although "Gearless" ratchets are becoming popular and can be useful in tight corners, a gearless ratchet also makes a 6 point socket more usable in tight spaces. If you can afford it a power bar is a great complementary item to have and you can "lean" on it a lot harder than you can a ratchet.

Sorry, I'm a bit late to this "party" however, just in case it might help someone else?

There are a whole raft of "mid" quality tool brands, I suspect many just being brands of one of the "tool giants" like Apex: https://www.apextoolgroup.com/ which are very good buys. Personally I've been very pleased with some I've bought branded Bergen, Nielsen, and US Pro (think Bergen's range is now all branded US Pro? I just can't keep up with it all!) The Halfords professional/expert stuff is very good too. Draper and Laser come to mind too.

Back in the 1960's when I was starting to build up my tool kit 1/2" drive was what most people went for so much of my stuff is 1/2". However, with the advent of metric fixings sizes became smaller and 3/8" drive became very popular. 3/8 is handy for getting into smaller spaces but you really can't beat 1/2" for tight/seized stuff - well, actually, you can, but not unless you're thinking of spending more cash than a lot of folk find reasonable.

The problem is what should you buy as a basic starter? I'd still advise 1/2" drive for it's "robustness" with maybe a small 3/8" set to back it up for getting into tight corners. and I can strongly recommend Bergen/US pro's Xi-ION single hex sockets. Here's an add for a 1/2" drive set: https://berlintools.co.uk/products/bergen-20pcs-1-2-drive-6-point-shallow-xi-ion-sockets-8mm-32mm There are a number of manufacturers now making these sockets with the "grippy" slots and I can vouch for the fact they really work very well on damaged fixings. Personally I like the black "impact" sockets so I can use them with my air gun (standard chromed ones tend to break if used with impact guns) Here's a picture of a 19mm deep socket - on the left - with the slots and a normal "shallow" 19mm impact socket.

View attachment 440278

I tend to reach for the deep sockets by default.

Of course if you buy them like this you're going to need to buy something to drive them with. The ratchets that come boxed with a cheapish set of sockets are nearly always made down to a price so I think you're better to buy a set of sockets and then a separate ratchet - 24 tooth is common and usually pretty robust although "Gearless" ratchets are becoming popular and can be useful in tight corners, a gearless ratchet also makes a 6 point socket more usable in tight spaces. If you can afford it a power bar is a great complementary item to have and you can "lean" on it a lot harder than you can a ratchet.

1710787781032.jpg

This is my usual 1/2" socket set, they are Hilka brand. I bought them on Amazon and they are faultless- the only problem being there's no 11mm socket.

I know we discussed me changing my shocks on another thread...but because I didn't have the 11mm it didn't tighten enough and I missed a tiny gap. So I was going over big bumps and there was a faint clang as the shock moved on its mount!

I got one of the bolts off but then the 11mm socket on a 3/8" just broke. The new socket set is coming tomorrow so hopefully I can get the shock back on properly :)

Yeah, another name that's been around for many years. The first Trolley jack I bought for use at home was a Hilka and it only croaked a couple of years ago, it was a good buy.
I paid £15.50 the Hilka ones and they were a bargain. They were being sold and shipped by Amazon so I'm hoping that these new ones also sold and shipped by Amazon will be just as good.

I'm going to guess you paid hundreds for your sets?

I paid £15.50 the Hilka ones and they were a bargain. They were being sold and shipped by Amazon so I'm hoping that these new ones also sold and shipped by Amazon will be just as good.

I'm going to guess you paid hundreds for your sets?
I gave up keeping track of what I've spent on tools many years ago. Mind you, as they were how I earned my living they've paid their way over the years.

For home DIY use I would always recommend getting a well known quality brand and spend as much as you can afford.

I would also recommend really looking after your tools get a good tool box always wipe any dirt or water off to keep them clean and rust free, etc.

If you look after them they will serve you well and you will only need to buy them once, then whenever you can afford new tool you can build a nice collection of good tools you can rely on.

Back in 2000 when in Italy at the Co-Op in Cortina I bought a bargain ABC Tools A3115/5 socket set (surface drive) for £94.95. It now costs £409.30.

https://www.abctools.it/en/prodotti...9-chiavi-a-bussola-e-accessori/a31155000.html

Packaging has changed.

Prior to this I was using, and still have Kamasa 1/2" and 3/4" drive, which many of us oldies used for many years a long time ago. The 3/4" drive is a real nut buster as there is no 1/2" shaft bending and springing.

Back