A new pal for Becky

Currently reading:
A new pal for Becky

and I quite like the anonymity I think it brings?
this is something that non VAG people don’t get, sometimes you just want a car that blends in and doesn’t draw too much attention. I always said if they had still been in business then my Golf would have been a Saab because they’re brands that people don’t give much thought to. A golf or skoda is just another golf or skoda, but a Mercedes or BMW and other such brands draws more attention which can be the difference between coming back to find your windows no longer in tact or in the case of a cabriolet, find new ventilation cut into your roof.

The people who are then actually interested will know.

I also was very nervous driving the Avensis that last week after signing for the new one in case anything happened… even cosmetic or minor. They didn’t seem to so much as look at it on the day… so there’s hope the dealers own ignorance might mean you get away if something minor does happen.

I must have missed this...did you finally find a Panda 4x4 with winter pack and the new stereo?

Thinking back, 205/55/16 were the sporty low-profile choice on the vectra 25 years ago.

Nowadays if you look at any mid-low spec Vag, PSA, or Ford product there's a good chance it's on them.

So far example...Skoda Octavia in taxi trim is on them as is the best selling Golf trim in the last two generations. Also the Ford Focus used them as Mid spec wheel. The Astra still comes on them..in base trim.

Unfortunately most manufacturers are going bigger again so it tends to be the absolute base spec wheel now if at all but there are huge numbers of cars out there on them.

Thinking back, 205/55/16 were the sporty low-profile choice on the vectra 25 years ago.
165/80R13 on 5.5J rims were the thing to have back in the 60's. The Lotus Cortina came with them so I went out and bought a set of the rims and fitted them with Pirelli Cinturatos - which were the "in" tyre you had to have back in those days. I also had a side exit exhaust, under the passenger door so probably illegal today, and I painted the raised centre of the bonnet matt black. Wow, did it ever look "cool" - not!

165/80R13 on 5.5J rims were the thing to have back in the 60's. The Lotus Cortina came with them so I went out and bought a set of the rims and fitted them with Pirelli Cinturatos - which were the "in" tyre you had to have back in those days. I also had a side exit exhaust, under the passenger door so probably illegal today, and I painted the raised centre of the bonnet matt black. Wow, did it ever look "cool" - not!
I've actually quoted the aspect ratio - the 80 in 165/80R13 - above but back in those days pretty much everything was an 80% aspect ratio (to be most exact I believe they were actually 85% ?) When renewing you would ask for a 165x13 radial. Cross plys were loosing popularity by then and were sized in imperial units. nearest to a 165x13 would be a 560x13? Always thought it strange they kept the imperial size for the wheel diameter when they changed to metric for the radials? Only the most exotic stuff might turn up on something with a "skinny" sidewall. Anyone remember Bias belted tyres? they were much more popular over your side of the pond I think Cheest? I tried a set on the Cooper S - Goodyear Wide Ovals - and wore them almost to the canvass in one afternoon of hillclimbing at Stobs Camp.

Not quite sure why, but I'm really liking the way the wheel/tyre sits in the wheel arch on the Scala - take a look at the picture in my post at the beginning of this thread. Good ground clearance too and, unusually for these days, the car actually sits level - so many have a nose down attitude these days. Be interesting to see how she sits when she's loaded up for one of our trips down south.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Back