Someone Rear-Ended me

Currently reading:
Someone Rear-Ended me

everything will be handled by her insurance and they wont rush about it either

Depends on the insurer. Quinn Direct claims handlers have a bonus system tied to how fast they settle claims - they want them done and dusted (with a statement saying you've settled in full for all injuries, obviously!) within a WEEK if possible. Zurich also seem to be fast enough.

Do I have to wait for the other party's insurers to inspect the car (I suspect that I do :(). I'd rather get it out of the way ASAP!

It should be your insurance fixing your vehicle, they'll then recover costs.

Depends on the insurer. Quinn Direct claims handlers have a bonus system tied to how fast they settle claims - they want them done and dusted (with a statement saying you've settled in full for all injuries, obviously!) within a WEEK if possible. Zurich also seem to be fast enough.

With Quinn is that just in ref to injury, of car claim also?

When you say settled, that in refrence to settling blame, or repairing also :confused:

Yep, you can take it to a body shop of your choice, although insurance companies don't then have to provide a courtesy car if it states this in policy.

But any good body shop will give you one for duration of the repairs (y)

When I had my accident, my insurers put me in touch with Accident Exchange, who provided me with a free courtesy car.

Any non-fault accident is elegible for a free courtesy car through them, they claim their fees from the negligent partys insurance. If they refuse to pay, Accident Exchange are re-insured so whatever the outcome it's of no cost to you.

As I was Third Party Fire and Theft it was invaluable. They even argued the toss with the other insurance company when they offered me £300 for my car.

Win-Win in my book.

When I had my accident, my insurers put me in touch with Accident Exchange, who provided me with a free courtesy car.

Any non-fault accident is elegible for a free courtesy car through them, they claim their fees from the negligent partys insurance. If they refuse to pay, Accident Exchange are re-insured so whatever the outcome it's of no cost to you.

As I was Third Party Fire and Theft it was invaluable. They even argued the toss with the other insurance company when they offered me £300 for my car.

Win-Win in my book.

There is another company called drive assist. All work on same basis, but they can turn nasty! So be warned, and in my opinion, steer clear if possible (y)

With Quinn is that just in ref to injury, of car claim also?

When you say settled, that in refrence to settling blame, or repairing also :confused:

Either. Both - although blame is 'assigning' in Irish insurance terms, settling = settled. They want the entire thing done and dusted within a week to 14 days based on their service levels. If you're hit by a Quinn driver they look for you to have a repair quote emailed/faxed to them next working day if you can.

I can only assume they do this identically in the UK seeing as they're a UK (NI) company even though the vast, vast bulk of their business is in Ireland (Republic).

My insurance isn't getting involved, because I'm "not at fault". They passed me to an assist company, but I don't need a hire care, so they have nothing to do with it, either! :confused:

I need some advice, as the insurance companies have left me in the dark! Can I get the car repaired independently, without the other party inspecting the car beforehand? Will this potentially void the claim against the other party? I absolutely refuse to wait months before my car is back on the road ;)

Why are insurance companies so slow? It's completely unacceptable (n)

I really appreciate this forum ..... I'll donate at the end of this sorry saga :cool:

Last edited:
You could ring round some of the bigger body shops as many of them will do the work without the involvement of your own insurance underwriter.

When a minibus reversed into Mrs. Beard's Stilo, I went to our local FIAT approved bodyshop and, after I'd got the other party's Insurance details agreed to contact them directly as the minibus firm had admitted liability to me.

It did help that their Controller was based at the Airport and knew who I was and who I worked for.

Because the bodyshop did this directly, the Wife's Insurance knew nothing about the incident. We even got a courtesy car. Recently there have been some adverts on the local radio stations by companies offering the same service. The other advantage was that we got all FIAT Original parts instead of the usual pattern parts some bodyshops have to use on the instructions of those who use "Approved Repairers".

You could ring round some of the bigger body shops as many of them will do the work without the involvement of your own insurance underwriter.

When a minibus reversed into Mrs. Beard's Stilo, I went to our local FIAT approved bodyshop and, after I'd got the other party's Insurance details agreed to contact them directly as the minibus firm had admitted liability to me.

It did help that their Controller was based at the Airport and knew who I was and who I worked for.

Because the bodyshop did this directly, the Wife's Insurance knew nothing about the incident. We even got a courtesy car. Recently there have been some adverts on the local radio stations by companies offering the same service. The other advantage was that we got all FIAT Original parts instead of the usual pattern parts some bodyshops have to use on the instructions of those who use "Approved Repairers".

Hi

If I went ahead with repairs without the insurers being involved ... would that bugger my claim up? They are taking so long ... nobody has got back to me, and I don't fancy waiting in a call queue all day :D

It's strange that insurance companies have freephone numbers for new customers, and you get through immediately. When you actually need the company to do something .... they are very difficult to contact :bang:.

Right, get back in contact with your insurance co and tell them that you insist that they deal with the claim (what company you with?).

Although they're not paying out, they have a duty to ensure the claim runs smoothly etc. They then claim admin fee's from 3rd party.

Hi

I can't get through to them .... I'll try again when I get the time! (n). I won't mention the names of the companies involved until this is all over ...

I eventually got through, but someone in the claims dept answered the phone like this:

CLAIMS DEPARTMENT :mad:
... niiiice :eek:

I've got legal cover in my insurance, so I've been passed to a solicitor. The solicitor will get the money off the insurer .... hopefully (y)

I've got legal cover in my insurance, so I've been passed to a solicitor. The solicitor will get the money off the insurer .... hopefully (y)

Are you third party, fire and theft? Because I was and they passed my details onto their 'legal' team who then put me in touch with a solicitor.. expect a barrage of forms..

it took my boyfriend a year to get the money from his solicitors when someone drove into him (in a car park)!! :bang:

good luck :)

Hi

If I went ahead with repairs without the insurers being involved ... would that bugger my claim up? They are taking so long ... nobody has got back to me, and I don't fancy waiting in a call queue all day :D

It's strange that insurance companies have freephone numbers for new customers, and you get through immediately. When you actually need the company to do something .... they are very difficult to contact :bang:.
You don't just tell a bodyshop to go ahead with the repair, you need one that will simply deal with your claim via the 3rd Party's Insurers. They give you a form which you fill in and they contact the other guy's firm and get the go-ahead from them. If they don't get the nod, they won't procede. In other words, if the 3rd Party's Insurers say it was your fault then it will have to be sorted between your Insurers and his.

Last edited:
You don't just tell a bodyshop to go ahead with the repair, you need one that will simply deal with your claim via the 3rd Party's Insurers. They give you a form which you fill in and they contact the other guy's firm and get the go-ahead from them. If they don't get the nod, they won't procede. In other words, if the 3rd Party's Insurers say it was your fault then it will have to be sorted between your Insurers and his.

Ok, thanks :)

Are you third party, fire and theft? Because I was and they passed my details onto their 'legal' team who then put me in touch with a solicitor.. expect a barrage of forms..

it took my boyfriend a year to get the money from his solicitors when someone drove into him (in a car park)!! :bang:

good luck :)

Yes, I'm 3rd Party, Fire, and Theft ... never again :(

I think after being told this by the Police I'm not wrong - who keeps their insurance details in the car? Not giving a name and contact details IS an offence (as you have no method of contact).

:nerner:

I a perdantic **** so I'm going to re-iterate what I've already said, you do not need to provide an address, only telephone number and insurance details (if you have them at the scene).

Although, most tend to supply address for ease (y)

Ok, thanks :)

It doesn't say on your sig. where you live, but I don't suppose you're in Greater Manchester. If you are, try Stockport Motor Bodies in Denton, M34. If you do want to get in touch, Directory Enquiries will give you the number, but you'll have to ask for SMB.

I'm back :D. I can't give you my location for privacy reasons ... but I'm nowhere near Manchester!

I've come back for some advice: My insurance is 3rd Party, and I would rather avoid the use of my insurance "legal cover" ... do I HAVE to use a lawyer to get the money out of the insurer? :confused: What are the chances of the insurance company trying to screw me over?

:)

Back