Technical Radiator problem

Currently reading:
Technical Radiator problem

H.Gilmore

Hi

I have a 1.6 active stilo 2004. Its got a leak in radiator. At the moment I am filling coolant tank with water to get in and out of work about 1.75 hours driving. One fill usually gets me there and back.
Can this be fixed with a sealant that I could get in a garage. Mechanic is telling me the whole unit has to be replaced. Anything up to €220, about 180 sterling. Also he could not tell me were exactly leak as we only had a look under car while on lift.

Any advice would be welcome. Thanks.

You MUST find the leak as only then can you possibly know what to do about it.

If it is from the rad then it may well be worth trying a sealant.

If it's from the water pump then make sure you use a product that includes a lubricant (rarely works :()

If from joins or tubing splits then make sure you tighten or fix the problem.

Don't forget to sort out your anti-freeze and inhibitor once the leak is cured as it's going to be very diluted.

Hi

I have a 1.6 active stilo 2004. Its got a leak in radiator. At the moment I am filling coolant tank with water to get in and out of work about 1.75 hours driving. One fill usually gets me there and back.
Can this be fixed with a sealant that I could get in a garage. Mechanic is telling me the whole unit has to be replaced. Anything up to €220, about 180 sterling. Also he could not tell me were exactly leak as we only had a look under car while on lift.

Any advice would be welcome. Thanks.

You say it's a leak in the radiator. Get a new one, scrapped one or get someone to build one - which I did with the Ritmo Abarth, and got away with half the price of a new one. Hopefully you don't have sub-zero temperatures where you live, or the coolant system will freeze nailing your engine's coffin.

Back