Technical Idle and Stalling Problem

Currently reading:
Technical Idle and Stalling Problem

Smart038

Hello everyone,

I bought a 1.6 16v 2004 model Stilo about a month ago. After driving about three thousand kilometers, I had the clutch upper-lower center, fluid and filter maintenance, and timing belt replacement done.

Whatever happened started after this and it's getting progressively worse.

The car fluctuates terribly at idle.

While moving, when I press the clutch during gear transitions, or when stopping at traffic lights, the engine suddenly stops.

It jerks and hesitates intermittently while moving.

When going downhill, if you don't touch the gas, it starts to hesitate.

Fuel consumption used to be 7-8Lt./100km but now it's 20-22Lt./100km. It literally started guzzling petrol.

There's no problem with the air and fuel hoses, I've shown it to many mechanics.

They say it could be an electrical short circuit.

But the problem is not getting solved, the car completely frustrates me. Not a single error code is shown in Multiecuscan and other programs.

Those who know about the subject, please help.

They did not do it properly. Timing is not correct.

They did not do it properly. Timing is not correct.
Even though the mechanic insisted on electronics, nothing came up in the electronic controls, I guess the timing is yes. Thanks man, I hope my problem is solved

If the car ran okay after the timing belt was changed, then it's not the timing belt. If the timing was out, the car would have been "jumpy", vibrating and lumpy immediately.. it would not start okay and get worse.

If the timing has been done, the mechanic would have removed the coils and the ECU (1.6 has the ECU on top of the cylinder head, if I remember correctly?) so there's scope that something to have been disturbed in the coils, or the HT leads etc. Make sure the coils look okay (no breakup or signs of arcing) and that they can power a spark plug (connect an old plug into each coil in turn, earth it on the engine block and crank the engine to see if it sparks). This would be a cheap and simple test.

If the car was always lumpy as soon as it left the garage after the timing was done, then it's more likely to be the timing itself.

Ralf S.

If the car ran okay after the timing belt was changed, then it's not the timing belt. If the timing was out, the car would have been "jumpy", vibrating and lumpy immediately.. it would not start okay and get worse.

If the timing has been done, the mechanic would have removed the coils and the ECU (1.6 has the ECU on top of the cylinder head, if I remember correctly?) so there's scope that something to have been disturbed in the coils, or the HT leads etc. Make sure the coils look okay (no breakup or signs of arcing) and that they can power a spark plug (connect an old plug into each coil in turn, earth it on the engine block and crank the engine to see if it sparks). This would be a cheap and simple test.

If the car was always lumpy as soon as it left the garage after the timing was done, then it's more likely to be the timing itself.

Ralf S.
The timing is correct, tested, ignition timing and coils are good, throttle body has been changed, but the problem still persists.

If the timing and sparks are good, then the other element is the benzina. You can give the fuel pump a work-out by seeing how it acts under a high delivery situation, such as accelerating up hill (large throttle, you don't need loads of revs). If it starts to hesitate when it's under a high load then that could suggest the pump is struggling, or the fuel rail pressure (regulator) isn't doing it's thing.

I had a strange problem years ago (not on my Stilo) where the pipe on the fuel pump that carried fuel from the bottom of the pump to the outlet pipe had a split in it, so fuel was falling out of the pipe and back into the tank, so only half the fuel was coming through. That had similar symptoms, where the fuel delivery was limited by the split in the pipe. I only found it *eventually* when I took the pump out, after I'd checked the relays, regulator etc.

I doubt your problem is this.. but it's just an example of how random the fault can be.

Ralf S.

So before the timing belt change the car ran fine and now it doesn't? So it's directly linked to the job done at the garage. :unsure:

Update 😂 this car is going to drive me crazy. I went to a different company for the timing and found out that it was broken, set it up again. The problem is largely gone, while experiencing great happiness It started to repeat, albeit less than before, and I realized that when I turn on the high and low beams while using the idle, the fluctuation increases😂 the charging voltage is 13.4, some say it is low.Could there be a problem with that? Thanks in advance for your answers.

It's interesting. Maybe you need to clean up the idle air control valve on the throttle body. Also the battery might not be the best anymore. Check tightness of the auxiliary belt.

Hopefully wrong timing didn't do much damage to the engine. :unsure:

It's interesting. Maybe you need to clean up the idle air control valve on the throttle body. Also the battery might not be the best anymore. Check tightness of the auxiliary belt.

Hopefully wrong timing didn't do much damage to the engine. :unsure:
Thanks for the answer dude, once the throttle socket was removed and the problem subsided, I already replaced it by a mechanic who was sure that the problem was there.😓 I think this tool turned against me.

Update
After a few sensors and re-sensing adjustment, the fluctuation decreased to negligible. And now the possible problem is that the valves do not work properly, I will share the result here after they are done.

Back