Panda_clx_sr_011.jpg

Panda (Classic) Project Panda-looking Pandas.

Introduction

Ok Gavin here we go ;).

With Gavins (Palio) consent this thread will chart the progress of a little project I'm carrying out for him. It's basically two matching Pandas made to look like Panda bears. These will then be used as company cars by Gavin and his business partner to also promote their new business venture.

Now Gavin is well aware that this could easily turn into being two tacky cartoon style wouldn't be seen dead in cars, so my initial brief stated that my design had to be tasteful and suggest Panda rather than be in your face. Also, there were to be certain engine and interior upgrades to make them more pleasant to live with on a regular basis.

Well I have submitted and had approved a design so it's now full steam ahead with the first car. The basis for this is the white clx I recently picked up from David (Fiat Nutter)............

Second car may be this one that I already had..............

But may not.
It's understanable Gav - there nowt so good as the muddy bits, especially in a Panda. You are missing that gun sight you've secretly had welded on to Howie's bull bars :D

True - I'm also missing the respect BM & Merc drivers give you with that bullbar thundering towards them down a country lane or urban side street - amazing how half a ton of iron on the front makes them give way!! :devil:

That's a shame though the forecast isn't great Sat. :(

Are you around Fri eve scout ? Thought you might like a drive of Panto before he returns to meet his maker - not sure when that will be, but prossibly at the weekend ( VmanC ?).

Sounds like a plan :D :thumbup: I can bring over Vern's grill and we can hatch a plan to swop it for a mkII one :beer:

True - I'm also missing the respect BM & Merc drivers give you with that bullbar thundering towards them down a country lane or urban side street - amazing how half a ton of iron on the front makes them give way!! :devil:

This is one thing I have noticed since I put mine on - it's a good way to make way :) I don't think I'd be willing to have a go in Panto though, I don't think I could handle the beans, it's been a long time since I've been able to go over 60!

Sounds like a plan :D :thumbup: I can bring over Vern's grill and we can hatch a plan to swop it for a mkII one :beer:

I'll drop you a text when I know my plans Fri. The TV I was taking over to Mum today didn't get onto the couriers van :bang: If it appears I'll prob take it across Fri & may be going through Ayles at a sensible time for you. If not you can always pop over later. (y)

He'll be ready but I'm not free to do the swap, Monday ok?

Totally apropos of absolutely bugger-all: but this reminds me of the fact that Through the looking-glass is based on a chess game.... :confused:
Palio moves Panto! to VmanC's, to take a Sisley; homeward moves Betty to D5, castles with Pippin. Meanwhile panda panda moves his Fizz to E3, and it's... well, not check-mate, more like organized chaos...! Throw in the Panda Express; all the shows we have lined up... -- it's no wonder we're all showing signs of losing our sanity...! :eek:

Ooh where's the off-roading happening? Make sure we get some pics :D

Salisbury plain I think it was - the thread is on the mk4 Panda section, but it's cunningly disguised as Lake District green laning! I was busy unfortunately (that's now fallen through typically! :rolleyes: ) but turned out for the best as I haven't got a 4wd Panda at present :shrug:

Last edited:
Well I had the pleasure of driving Panto this evening. WOW what a combination. The 16v 1250cc engine is perfect in the lightweight Panda body. When the engine starts screaming is when you know you've hit the power band and it shifts .............................. really shifts.

If only we could get that engine working with a 4X4 gearbox/transfer box we would have a perfect Panda.

If only we could get that engine working with a 4X4 gearbox/transfer box we would have a perfect Panda.

Should fit right in just the same as a 2WD box(y) Lots of people say a 4x4 box wont take the power but considering it it basically a 2WD box I don't really get why it won't. Obviously if its being abused then you may get issues but that is the case whatever engine is attached.

Well I had the pleasure of driving Panto this evening. WOW what a combination. The 16v 1250cc engine is perfect in the lightweight Panda body. When the engine starts screaming is when you know you've hit the power band and it shifts .............................. really shifts.

There will be plenty of scope to drive him in the future, but glad you enjoyed a brief run. (y)

I think it's interesting that everyone's natural instinct is to change gear just as the engine hits the sweet spot - it's the same in the Punto but that is at least helped by a rev counter you can point to. I think the point where I told you to keep going was about 4500/5000 revs and the next bit up to 6500 revs is where the smiles are (or the ticket, or the hedge, if you prefer!).

Not convinced why you would need much more power in a 4x4 - it has plenty for off-road work & unless you're in a Bowler Wildcat you can't drive quickly off-road. I suppose you could run at a bank at full tilt and jump it over a Landrover, but that could hurt. :eek:

There will be plenty of scope to drive him in the future, but glad you enjoyed a brief run. (y)

I think it's interesting that everyone's natural instinct is to change gear just as the engine hits the sweet spot - it's the same in the Punto but that is at least helped by a rev counter you can point to. I think the point where I told you to keep going was about 4500/5000 revs and the next bit up to 6500 revs is where the smiles are (or the ticket, or the hedge, if you prefer!).

Not convinced why you would need much more power in a 4x4 - it has plenty for off-road work & unless you're in a Bowler Wildcat you can't drive quickly off-road. I suppose you could run at a bank at full tilt and jump it over a Landrover, but that could hurt. :eek:

I was thinking more along the lines of road manners at speed in the 4X4. The Punto engine in a 4X4 would make it quicker BETWEEN the muddy bits (y), which means more muddy bits :slayer:

Should fit right in just the same as a 2WD box(y) Lots of people say a 4x4 box wont take the power but considering it it basically a 2WD box I don't really get why it won't. Obviously if its being abused then you may get issues but that is the case whatever engine is attached.

Exactly, the only difference between fitting a 16v to Panto and a 4x4 is that you wouldn't be starting with a Panda that has an ecu/inj. etc (not counting an import).
You'd be going through the gears very quickly in a 16v 4x4 to a top speed that would be little more than standard, the rev limit of a 16v engine may allow about 95 mph but you wouldn't want to stay there long.

Well I've now done 200 miles in Panto. This may not sound a lot but I'm not doing many miles these days as I'm home based - 200 miles in a week is at least enough to get a feel for things to feed them back to Vernon.

You've probably gathered the engine is (y) Aside from some rogue warning lights every so often on startup (they go away if you turn off and start again - what's the orange one that looks like a 4wd diagram? :confused: ), there seem to be no engine issues during the actual driving.

Today's fault is with the wheels. I'm having trouble with the white wheels turning black - well the front ones at least - must stop braking..... ;)

Last edited:
Back