Panda_clx_sr_011.jpg

Panda (Classic) Project Panda-looking Pandas.

Introduction

Ok Gavin here we go ;).

With Gavins (Palio) consent this thread will chart the progress of a little project I'm carrying out for him. It's basically two matching Pandas made to look like Panda bears. These will then be used as company cars by Gavin and his business partner to also promote their new business venture.

Now Gavin is well aware that this could easily turn into being two tacky cartoon style wouldn't be seen dead in cars, so my initial brief stated that my design had to be tasteful and suggest Panda rather than be in your face. Also, there were to be certain engine and interior upgrades to make them more pleasant to live with on a regular basis.

Well I have submitted and had approved a design so it's now full steam ahead with the first car. The basis for this is the white clx I recently picked up from David (Fiat Nutter)............

Second car may be this one that I already had..............

But may not.
Did you? I was in most of the day, apart from the times I was out! :rolleyes:

Oh ye of little faith - be thou around any evening? I think you might be surprised if you have a little drive. (y)

Yep, popped over about 7:30pm, the Abarth was on the road, the coupe was missing and Panto was looking very regal taking up the whole drive :D

Just a quick update.

Aside from some gear linkage problems (with 3rd, 4th & especially 5th) which Vernon knows about, mechanically Panto is going like a small black & white rocket.

I'm pleased to report that the steering, handling & brakes seem very good - actually the steering feels much better than I expected Vernon!

Panto has been exploring some overtaking opportunities locally - it seems there are some! :D

Hmmm, don't think the gear change cables have fared too well from sitting dormant for nine years. They may improve with more use but I will see if any adjustments, and/or lubrication will help.

Sounds like you're enjoying yourself for the most part though :D

Last edited:
Yep, popped over about 7:30pm, the Abarth was on the road, the coupe was missing and Panto was looking very regal taking up the whole drive :D

Aha, well I think I'd popped out then - it chucked it down! :(

I'm likely to be around Ayles early evening tomorrow but not sure of timings, and will be here Fri evening definitely. Are you about?

Slightly off topic (what's new) but if the weather's not too bad I may go up to Hyde Heath Saturday - they have a classic show and fete on the village green - give me a shout if you fancy taking Po along. (y)

Hmmm, don't think the gear change cables have cared too well from sitting dormant for nine years. They may improve with more use but I will see if any adjustments, and/or lubrication will help.

Sounds like you're enjoying yourself for the most part though :D

(y)

Yes the change is fine some (most) of the time then randomly obstructive. Seems worse when completing a daring manoeuvre (annoyingly & most risky from an over revving view - not that I have as I can feel it not going in), but sometimes just tickling along. 3rd & 4th will usually go in with a struggle, but when 5th baulks it has to go back for a second attempt. Maybe the box isn't as good as it could be - think we were both surprised that 3rd crunches at such a low mileage. :confused:

You told me you never used 5th in a Panda - it was a pointless gear!

No 5th is pointless in a 1000CL (as it doesn't have one), and in the 1000 Super it's just there to spoil the acceleration - it is used though, just better with the 4 speed box IMHO.

The Sisley uses 5th all the time (and needs it!) from 20mph round town right up to motorway screaming. (y)

Panto uses 5th as & when needed - anywhere from 30mph to ahem mph. ;)

Last edited:
No 5th is pointless in a 1000CL (as it doesn't have one), and in the 1000 Super it's just there to spoil the acceleration - it is used though, just better with the 4 speed box IMHO.

The Sisley uses 5th all the time (and needs it!) from 20mph round town right up to motorway screaming. (y)

Panto uses 5th as & when needed - anywhere from 30mph to ahem mph. ;)

I've been meaning to ask someone this, what speed will the 4 x 4s do comfortably in 5th? I might not be explaining this well but at what point does it start screaming so to speak?

I've been meaning to ask someone this, what speed will the 4 x 4s do comfortably in 5th? I might not be explaining this well but at what point does it start screaming so to speak?

Mine feels happiest on the motorway at around 70mph to be honest, but bear in mind it has done 129000 miles now. It will genuinely still do 85mph though & regularly does (where speed limits allow!). At 80 plus it does sound like Mars the bringer of war, but it's fine - noisy but fine! Getting up to that speed does take a little while - it's not the quickest car in the world but if you press on it keeps going. (y)

Vernon's lower mileage one was a bit more civilised up to 80, it sounded quieter but had done 46000 miles so quite a difference. When I say quieter it's all relative - a 4x4 is not quiet on the motorway!!

Anyone who claims a 4x4 can't cope with motorway speeds either has a duff one, hasn't tried hard enough, or is telling porkies ;)

Best thing is to try one - pity you're so far away or I'd let you try mine. You want to find someone who's not frightened of using it or you'll be worried about pushing their pampered 4x4 - maybe AndyPanda4x4 would be a good bet if going to Panda Camp :idea:

Mine feels happiest on the motorway at around 70mph to be honest, but bear in mind it has done 129000 miles now. It will genuinely still do 85mph though & regularly does (where speed limits allow!). At 80 plus it does sound like Mars the bringer of war, but it's fine - noisy but fine! Getting up to that speed does take a little while - it's not the quickest car in the world but if you press on it keeps going. (y)

Vernon's lower mileage one was a bit more civilised up to 80, it sounded quieter but had done 46000 miles so quite a difference. When I say quieter it's all relative - a 4x4 is not quiet on the motorway!!

Anyone who claims a 4x4 can't cope with motorway speeds either has a duff one, hasn't tried hard enough, or is telling porkies ;)

Best thing is to try one - pity you're so far away or I'd let you try mine. You want to find someone who's not frightened of using it or you'll be worried about pushing their pampered 4x4 - maybe AndyPanda4x4 would be a good bet if going to Panda Camp :idea:

Thanks Gav for the info, sorry for the off topic on your thread! :)

Andy has kindly offered me a wee shot at panda camp already which I am very excited about :) though I won't be doing 80mph in it :ROFLMAO: but getting a feel for them will be interesting :)

Last edited:
Thanks Gav for the info, sorry for the off topic on your thread! :)

Andy has kindly offered me a wee shot at panda camp already which I am very excited about :) though I won't be doing 80mph in it :ROFLMAO: but getting a feel for them will be interesting :)

No problem - I never take threads off topic!! :eek: ;)

Even if you're not happy , being a passenger on a motorway stretch will give you a feel for it. If there are 4x4's there I hope you get a chance. (y) I take the view that you should know what your car can do, even if you never drive it quickly in normal circumstances.

Last edited:
Slightly off topic (what's new) but if the weather's not too bad I may go up to Hyde Heath Saturday - they have a classic show and fete on the village green - give me a shout if you fancy taking Po along. (y)

I have been trying to get to that show for the last six years and once again I am thwarted :bang: I'm taking my mum out for the day then to a Frankie Valli and the four seasons tribute band concert for her Birthday..

I have been trying to get to that show for the last six years and once again I am thwarted :bang: I'm taking my mum out for the day then to a Frankie Valli and the four seasons tribute band concert for her Birthday..

That's a shame though the forecast isn't great Sat. :(

Are you around Fri eve scout ? Thought you might like a drive of Panto before he returns to meet his maker - not sure when that will be, but prossibly at the weekend ( VmanC ?).

onemanmade as I said I'm more than happy to introduce you to the 4x4, although we may make Palio regret not bringing his - there must be some scottish mud somewhere we can have a blast in for half an hour :)

It's ok I'll take yours and give you Panto's key - though I may not get you back out again!!

This is assuming that everything is sorted by then - I can't wait to get Howie (the Sisley) back either - I'm missing him - how sad is that??! :eek:

It's ok I'll take yours and give you Panto's key - though I may not get you back out again!!

This is assuming that everything is sorted by then - I can't wait to get Howie (the Sisley) back either - I'm missing him - how sad is that??! :eek:

I don't think that's sad at all, what's sad is I am missing my Sisley even though I haven't met him/her yet!

It's understanable Gav - there nowt so good as the muddy bits, especially in a Panda. You are missing that gun sight you've secretly had welded on to Howie's bull bars :D

Back