340246941_1369039697224823_8264214058898070168_n.jpg

Panda (Classic) Project Diesel Monster Panda

A Fiat Panda shell, on a Suzuki SJ chassis with Suzuki Jimny springs and axles, with a BMW M57 or N57 6 cylinder diesel engine.

Introduction

what can i say, i have gone nuts. i just hope i can pull this off.

So the plan is to strip this rotten panda to the shell, weld it up any old how and plonk it on a Suzuki SJ chassis.
then for the engine i am going to use a fully aluminium BMW M57 or N57 fully twin turbo from out of a 335D, 535D, or an X5. i am going for the Auto box as i know they are silky smooth.

we have two 3 series BMWs in the household both with the 3L diesel although they are the more newer N57 engine. one is a remapped 6 speed manual and one is the totally stock automatic. both are nice cars but the auto is more quick even though it has not been remapped.

the Suzuki SJ is an old C reg it has been converted to run on Jimny coil springs rather than the old leaf springs and also has jimny axles. however these may be upgraded later on to Toyota Hilux axles.

this will be my biggest project yet. though i am not in 100% health i am going to give it my all and see what i end up with. it should be one hell of a vehicle when its done.

i will be posting Video Logs in >This Playlist< on my Youtube channel

images curtesy of Owen (FDNY21) aka OG cars on Youtube (and the guy i bought the car from!)
So that the panda as far of a shell as i can get it before i start taking suspension components off.
engine, gearbox, drive shafts, prop shaft, whole interior, bumpers, pedal assembly, brake lines, fuel system, pretty much everything bar whats needed to keep the wheels on the car so i can roll it around.

full

here's a picture of the platform chassis i will be mounting everything to the Suzuki SJ with Jimny suspension.

as you can see it stands pretty tall.

and tomorrow i will be collecting some bits from a BMW 335D F31

that is a rare(ish) 8 speed automatic gearbox with torque converter, and (the best bit) the twin turbos from the 335D engine which i can bolt onto any old N57 engine (and with mods the older M57).
the whole reason why i am not buying the engine with all this kit is because the engine had a bottom end bearing fail.
now on the N57 this is because the auto box holds the engine RPMs too low (for emissions reasons naturally). i will be sure to have the box mapped so that i am able to choose what RPM the box will change down at rather than it lugging the engine causing low oil pressure and killing bearings.

ill also be getting some other bits too like the front and rear prop shafts and maybe some parts of the wiring loom. we will see.

thats all for now!

Last edited:
Had delivery of the suzuki SJ late on the 27th. mot history says it was last on the road in 2018.. pre coil spring mods. ill have to give it all a good going over and make sure its all in good shape. it does seem that is has a few issues.. just lifting the thing up looks to make the coil springs fall out of the spring cups which is nice. ill have to address that somehow. the most easy way is to limit the axle travel. ill loose articulation but meh.. im sure ill come up with something. its also missing the anti roll bar from the front too which i would like to get back.. however again that may limit the articulation of the axles. hey if its not there it cant fail right? again we will see what i can do.

next on the agenda is to find some decent larger rims to support larger brake discs... and maybe converting the rear brakes to discs too. i dono drums are a little.. old.. it would be nice to have 2 sets of wheels, one for more off road/green lane use and one for day to day road use.

i am tempted to do away with the SJ/land rover transfer box and use the one already on the back of the 8 speed transmission. it would be permanent 4x4 but at least it would have a differential between front and rear axles. though saying that the land rover "LT230" transfer box does come with a differential if you get the right one. the only issue i have is that i will need to make an adaptor plate and shaft to convert the output shaft of the 8 speed auto to the input of the LT230. theres a place that makes them but its over £1000 to buy it :eek:

i also managed to get the ECU for the BMW F30's N57 twin turbo engine. i have got to get it "unlocked" aka have the immobiliser taken off it which sadly is a £400 job. i can just post off the ECU and it will come back done. at the same time i am going to have all of the emissions regulations taken off it too as i wont be fitting a DPF, EGR, or swirl flaps to the engine.. i am not really bothered about "remapping" for extra horse power as i think i will have enough. i would be interested in an eco map however as they not only unlock a bit of power, they also make the engine run a lot more efficient and i am all for efficiency.

not thought about the interior yet. ill be saving some stuff from the SJ but a lot of it i dont want.
the roll cadge is kinda cool but i will need to cut it up to take the shell off as its been welded directly to the chassis.

ill try and get another video up when i get more things together. i hope to be doing a bit of welding to the panda body at some point. however i seem to waiting on the weather quite a bit. the weather is limiting me a lot on this sadly.

i have a mk1 mazda MX5 in the way at the moment so i cant do any chassis and shell testing for a while. its suspension components are in for powder coating but as soon as they get back and installed i should be able to get the SJ down the back of the house next to the panda. oh yeah i do have a bit of welding to do on the mx5 too. i should sort that..

well till next time. lets hope for a break in the rain! be my luck it will be beaming sunshine while im at work and chucking it down as soon as get off work.

well here it is!

somehow i have to fit a rather large engine into this. hmm.

get that roll cadge and body off!

nothing new to report other than this really. i dont like the wheels. so i need to change those. the smallest wheels i can fit are 15 inch due to the brakes getting in the way. standard SJ steel rims will be perfect.

about every bolt that holds the cab to the chassis sheared off. somehow the body is not as rusty as i thought it would be. the chassis is in fantastic condition no rust on the chassis. perfect!

the mk1 MX5 has been taking most of my time up but i have finally finished all of the welding on it. i have also picked up most of the suspension components from the powder coaters too so as soon as the wheel arches are painted up i should be able to fit them and get it back on its own wheels.

well till next time!

Back