345884264_1724100544686172_4671623679724577340_n.jpg

Punto (Mk1) Project R the Mk1 Cabrio Restoration project

1998 Rosso Red Mk1 Punto ELX Cabrio, that has been very neglected.

Introduction

Project page for my 1998 Punto Cabrio Restoration project. This car was aquired in October 2023, with no service history and in a pretty poor state, however they are becoming extremely rare now in the UK, just a dozen or so of the 1.2 16v models left on the road and about 30 or so cabrios in total.

Pictures are from the forsale add and ones the previous owner sent me before I got it.
I fear a fair number of mk1 parts will get more scarce. I am still very tempted by a 3 door P90 or P85, the only issue is space & probable future ULEZ in my area...
Here is my 'good enough' bodge from years ago, it is not glamorous 😂
That Throttle linkage 🤣 typical Italians using multiple parts where one would do.

There was someone on the mk1 Facebook group last year who basically was happy for anyone to come take parts off his mk1 cabrio because he was going to scrap it under a ULEZ scrappage scheme, if anyone wanted the car they could have it for £2k which is what the scheme would have given him. Predictably no one wanted to pay £2k for the car so it got scrapped. It's a shame but is also what is making these cars so rare.

That Throttle linkage 🤣 typical Italians using multiple parts where one would do.
Yes it is quite the marvel of unnecessary engineering, not as bad as my mk2 Panda's which did a full 180º turn for some reason, causing it to eventually snap on the A3. Fortunately there was an alternate throttle linkage & cable available which funnily enough went straight from the pedal to the linkage rather than make the elaborate turn

The last couple of weeks the rebuild has stalled due to going on holiday, and stupidly losing a clip that has to come from Italy.

So I have taken to doing a little light restoration work, this involved using stuff around the house to Nickel plate some of the more rusty and grubby parts

Brackets that support the air filter box
KETT0331.JPGKETT0361.JPGKETT0334.JPG

Misc metal brackets that hold the headlights in place
KETT0359.JPGKETT0360.JPG
And I have been plating all the bolts and hardware to prevent corrosion when putting it all back together.
KETT0343.JPG
Doing those little things will make a big difference when it’s done 👍🏻, look after the air box brackets they are like unicorn poop .good luck with the rebuild 😀

I’ve heard that they are somewhat difficult to get hold of
Yeah, they are very similar to the ones on the gt , many owners over the years binned them when putting K&N etc filters on , now they are wanting to go back to standard look none are available , or if you’re lucky to find any very expensive .

Yeah, they are very similar to the ones on the gt , many owners over the years binned them when putting K&N etc filters on , now they are wanting to go back to standard look none are available , or if you’re lucky to find any very expensive .
I follow another youtuber who has a GT he is restoring and I know from his videos that they are impossible to get, that being said most things for GTs are seemingly impossible to get now. The cars that were left standard rotted away and got scrapped, the cars that where subject to the max power treatment as you point out had a lot of standard parts thrown away, they sat in someone’s garden or shed for 20 years and now they all want £3k for a rusting wreck that’s missing half its parts

Hello,
Just so you know, I am heavily following your topic and even your YT channel. I have exactly the same model with 155k km, works really fine.
I am doing some repairs and light tuning on it. I'll update some photos when it'll be ready, for now I just have angel eyes and I'm just changing every things that have to be changed (oil, rocker arm gasket, spark plugs, fuel filter, etc).

Thank you for your time and please keep posting, thanks to you I know what to buy for the car (Ribe bits) ;)

Bonjour cauchemarre, (interesting name btw hopefully not a description of fiat ownership)

Thanks for following. I have been unwell this past week or so, and everything has come to a halt, however the next video is nearly done.

Be sure to stick about on this forum as well, there is about 20 years of knowledge on this site so if you need help you can pretty much find it all here.

Rebuild process here

I have also been working on some other little jobs along side the engine.

I have obtained a second steering wheel with airbag which I plan to retrim with Leather, a nice little project to undertake soon.
IMG_3126.jpeg

I have also been working on the allow wheels in the background. This is the first of 4 to be done. It was a total mess of corrosion to begin with so really happy at how well it has turned out. It still needs a couple of coats of lacquer but looking forward to getting all 4 to this state so they can finally go on the car and I can get rid of the horrible modern Punto wheels currently on the car.
IMG_3254.jpegIMG_3258.jpegIMG_3260.jpeg

The front of the wheel is Steel silver and the back is black with a blend between the two behind the spokes to give them some contrast, once the suspension is sorted the calipers and everything behind the wheels will be painted so the black will help make that pop a bit more.​
Back