Panda 2024 Patent

Currently reading:
Panda 2024 Patent

No…just no
I think they mean “Nuovo Panda”!

Fighting off the invasion of cheap made Chinese EVs ✅ massive tick from me (that includes YOU, MG)

It looks a little like the latest Land Rover Discovery / Evoque design ethos at the front

Not much Italian traditional or classic cues, though if most consumers are like my immediate circles, that might help sales and overall appeal

Europe (region) needs an affordable, practical, reliable, desirable EV. Affordable usually equates to small. Who better to do ‘small’ than Fiat? 😊

All the stuff I'd seen on this suggested they'd share glass...

To my eye these do not...except maybe the windscreen possibly front side window, but the kink in the pillar on the rear door is not present on the Citroën version and neither is the glass rear door.
mh7nbcyup1pboi3supb2.jpeg

Screenshot_20240207-070813.png

Two things that suggests one is that there's a bit of wiggle room in their interpretation of the pictures or it's had a lot of work over and above a rebadge.

All the stuff I'd seen on this suggested they'd share glass...

To my eye these do not...except maybe the windscreen possibly front side window, but the kink in the pillar on the rear door is not present on the Citroën version and neither is the glass rear door.
View attachment 437880
View attachment 437881

Two things that suggests one is that there's a bit of wiggle room in their interpretation of the pictures or it's had a lot of work over and above a rebadge.
The article suggests it’s taken from the patent drawings…the ones for the 169 were remarkably accurate…I reckon the kink is still there it just seems greater in black n white

I’ve looked at that a few times since it was posted (the new Panda rendering). There’s not much classic Italian flair in the design. Nor things shared with the outgoing Panda except-

- DRLs have that modern Fiat 500 signature
- alloys / wheel trims look similar
- gentle curve on the wheel arch body line

It’s a nice, smart looking modern car. But I’d never know to look at it that it’s the new Panda. Say how you’d know the current model was a direct replacement for the 169 style. Things are in the same position, you know?

This appeared on one my FB groups today..

Screenshot_20240209-162117.png

It is highly likely this will transfer to the Panda..so turbo 100bhp manual no hybrid and same engine with automatic dual clutch, hybrid with 21bhp motor.

It's also highly likely this will be the lower powered variant of this power train.

Unfortunately it'll still look like a JLR product..it's not unpleasant but it doesn't look like a Panda to me. However it is at least very distinct to the C3...and if you think about it the mk2 Panda looked f'all like the mk1.

View attachment 437959

It is highly likely this will transfer to the Panda..so turbo 100bhp manual no hybrid and same engine with automatic dual clutch, hybrid with 21bhp motor.

It's also highly likely this will be the lower powered variant of this power train.

Unfortunately it'll still look like a JLR product..it's not unpleasant but it doesn't look like a Panda to me. However it is at least very distinct to the C3...and if you think about it the mk2 Panda looked f'all like the mk1.
My thought about the people calling them thermal engines are off the scale unprinatble. And why

View attachment 437959

Stellantis is very VERY smart by continuing to invest in its petrol engines to appeal to mass real people. Not just YouTubers and Mat Watson.

EV, well, they sort of have to as an EU corporation given the current legislation roadmap.

Hybrid / thermal engines - very wise as I reckon until at least 2050… legislation may be pushed back again and again, with the ‘Only new hybrids’ section being the only real change we see happen to new car sales. Look at Toyota’s current hybrids 57mpg and near 200hp… Still a technology worth being good at and investing in. Can even apply to true performance cars with Ferrari even implementing it in a different way for sheer instant gains.

Stellantis could have a real leg up on VAG and others who have made huge premature investments and strategy shifts into only EVs… especially if the legislation moves back. They will have modern, appealing hopefully reliable petrol engines and hybrids at practical price points.

True about the 1980s to 2003 Panda but then, in the 80s it looked very much like a normal car back then with lots of quirks and practical features. It was hit.

Come 2003, it again looked like a normal enough car for the era, with lots of modern quirks and practical things. It was a hit.

For once, they refreshed it in a normal time frame in 2011 so it still looked like a fairly normal car for the time, the goalpost hadn’t changed as much in that time.

Given we’re talking about a 2026 new Panda, and the EV evolution / new style Kia like sharp lines everywhere styling, I’d say the goal post has moved monumentally again warranting a totally different redesign.

I don’t like that it doesn’t look like a Panda either. But maybe it’s just time for that again for the next two decades.

In a dream world… in a decade it’d be nice if Fiat could go independent again. Shed its American brands and keep the Italian ones. Keep ties with Stellantis in a Toyota / Mazda / Suzuki way or Renault / Nissan way for the big long term R&D….

I'd go with pragmatism...if you're going small electric car there's good chance the market will be flooded with cheap Chinese cars.

However the Chinese rep for combustion cars is bad...worse than even the Stellantis brands absolute cheap toss. So if they lose one battle temporarily they can still fight on a front where they have an advantage which will fund further development of the same platform.

Otherwise they could end up in the situation VW is with the ID3 where the very suspiciously similar MG3 is available, much cheaper and does the same thing and looks about the same.

Speaking of Chinese crap flooding the market, was pleased to see a few articles like this today: https://www.theguardian.com/busines...it-investigate-chinese-electric-cars-trade-uk

I think when you have a force like the CCP out to literally destroy and cripple free markets everywhere else, like an invasive species, a bit of control is needed to fight it off. After all, it's not like they are building their enterprises on honest research, honest original design or honest hard working labour (think more.. copied, stolen, forced). It's for that reason I think it's a good idea that European.. UK.. American, any other continent protects its own car manufacturing and development against such forces..

Speaking of Chinese crap flooding the market, was pleased to see a few articles like this today: https://www.theguardian.com/busines...it-investigate-chinese-electric-cars-trade-uk

I think when you have a force like the CCP out to literally destroy and cripple free markets everywhere else, like an invasive species, a bit of control is needed to fight it off. After all, it's not like they are building their enterprises on honest research, honest original design or honest hard working labour (think more.. copied, stolen, forced). It's for that reason I think it's a good idea that European.. UK.. American, any other continent protects its own car manufacturing and development against such forces..
What British car manufacturers?
What investments? The bungs given to the foreign owners who then don’t bother investing here, just promise then renage?
The same manufacturers that go into joint enterprises WITH Chinese firms?
Same with the infrastructure, battery development and manufacturing that’s either been shelved or gone to foreign firms?
And…this isn’t a new thing, wehn my dad left the RAF he got an engineering job with one of the biggest engineering firms in Leeds, they did all the research and development for Rolls Royce Aero, for jet engine blades and components. Guess what RR had them all made in Europe and Canada…free market economics my arse, it’s an oligarchy of self interest

What British car manufacturers?
What investments? The bungs given to the foreign owners who then don’t bother investing here, just promise then renage?
The same manufacturers that go into joint enterprises WITH Chinese firms?
Same with the infrastructure, battery development and manufacturing that’s either been shelved or gone to foreign firms?
And…this isn’t a new thing, wehn my dad left the RAF he got an engineering job with one of the biggest engineering firms in Leeds, they did all the research and development for Rolls Royce Aero, for jet engine blades and components. Guess what RR had them all made in Europe and Canada…free market economics my arse, it’s an oligarchy of self interest
and in the CCP’s case, free-slave-labour and free-copied-design 🤷‍♂️

Back