Technical new Panda 1.2 engine

Currently reading:
Technical new Panda 1.2 engine

wizardofzs

Hi there - Does anyone know where (apart from main dealers I guess) I might pick up a new (i.e. unused rather than recon) 1.2 panda engine and gearbox? Engine code 188A4.000.

Many thanks for any suggestions/ leads. I have a 2007 Panda Dynamic missing these two rather vital bits :D

Regards

Gary

I'd be amazed if you could find a brand new lump from anywhere other than Fiat.

I'm guessing if you know an independent garage, they MAY be able to buy one, but I should imagine as a personal retail purchase, you could be struggling a wee bit...

Hi there - Does anyone know where (apart from main dealers I guess) I might pick up a new (i.e. unused rather than recon) 1.2 panda engine and gearbox? Engine code 188A4.000.

Given that a 2007 Dynamic in good order is worth about £2000, I can't see how fitting a complete new engine & gearbox is ever going to be cost effective.

There's a whole other story about how you mislaid the original.

A new one will be almost impossible, especially if you want engine and box together, but breakers are quite likely to be able to supply from a crashed car. You need recently crashed, to avoid rust in bores and other age deterioration, lowish mileage, at least not more than your original had done, and hopefully similar age so it will fit and run without headaches due to any ancillary mismatch.

Trawl the breakers.

The 1.2 engine used in a 2007 Dynamic is no longer been made, if you want a brand new engine you will need a new ECU, new wiring the loom, the lot. At retail prices it will be probably cheaper to just buy a brand new car!

On the other hand there are lots of good engines out there, maybe find a early example with low milleage which is has some expensive fault, e.g needs new power steering so is being sold cheap.

There's a whole other story about how you mislaid the original.

A new one will be almost impossible, especially if you want engine and box together, but breakers are quite likely to be able to supply from a crashed car. You need recently crashed, to avoid rust in bores and other age deterioration, lowish mileage, at least not more than your original had done, and hopefully similar age so it will fit and run without headaches due to any ancillary mismatch.

Trawl the breakers.

Hi

Many thanks for the responses - it may seem very remiss to have lost both the original engine and gearbox, but the car was separated from these when it was brand new and just regstered - they were used for some other purpose, leaving the rest of the car behind in storage.

The car 'rolling shell' has only 100 miles on the clock, is mint and so its well worth the effort of repair.

The original ECU, etc is present, but the engine/box, the engine loom, and some other cooling parts are missing. I have assumed (perhaps incorrectly?) that I can use the existing ecu on any engine of the same model/format.

It seems a breakers is the way to go then..... it was a long shot but was hoping someone might know someone who had a new one etc....

Will keep all informed!

Regards

Gary

Gives a whole new meaning to "My engine is missing, & now I think my gearbox has gone as well".

Wizardofzs, what's the story behind this?

I suspect they bought the "NEW + Unused" panda that had the engine + box removed for a project donor use, ( EBAY)
I had considered it - but Too far away from me,

would be good with a low-mileage write-off in it,
or maybe buy a rear-ended Twin-air and have some fun..!!, :slayer:

Charlie

The car 'rolling shell' has only 100 miles on the clock, is mint and so its well worth the effort of repair.

Indeed it is - and definitely one to keep once you've got it sorted.

I'd be very tempted to find a driveable Cat C writeoff & buy it complete - that way, you can try before you buy & you can always transfer across whatever you need. Plus you can then sell off whatever's left over & get some of the money back.

Hi
Do you know if a 2012 Fiat 500 1.2L engine is the same as the one in the Panda ? It also looks the same as the Ford Ka one?

Thanks

Gary

The 500 engine engine is the same, but tuned to 70hp instead of the Pandas 60hp. Last of the 2003-2012 Pandas had this 70hp engine. Current Ka is a 500 with a cheap frock on.
The 70hp engine would need the ECU to go with it, (60hp ECU will fuel it incorrectly) which may cause issues making it talk to the body computer. MultiECUscan may fix this, or it may have to go to a dealer.
Finding a crashed Panda 60hp would be the best way to go as this will give you everything you need, including clips and odd other bits, as well as showing you where everything fits. ECU will talk to this engine because it will not know its not the original.

Unless you find a nearly new 70hp Panda and take the ECU and the body computer, so the computers think they are still in their original car. This may cause some wiring headaches.

Ideally, you need a local breaker with such a car. Create your own, hire a car and go write a suitable donor off. (While its parked to avoid injuries) (Just kidding) I can't believe I've just suggested writing off a Fiat. I'm going to have a lie down until I feel better. Sorry everyone.

Last edited:
Hi
Do you know if a 2012 Fiat 500 1.2L engine is the same as the one in the Panda ?

No, the Euro 5 1.2 engine fitted to the 500 is significantly different.

I'd concentrate on finding a donor car of the same spec as the one you have - it'll save no end of frustration further on down the line.

Thanks guys for all the advice - I have located a panda same spec 18,000 miles, with all the bits I need, unfortunately, its already out of the car, so ......... How hard can it be to find out where all the bits go.......? Anyone out there with a 1.2 dynamic and a camera, some photos of the engine bay in all its glory ( especailly the electrical connections etc) would be really appreciated! Thanks again for all the advice

watch this space as they say.....

regards

Gaz

Hi

Many thanks for that - anything will really help I am sure. Haynes Manual already on the way!

Kind regards

Gaz

Thinking about this some more, perhaps the cheapest way to get a new 1.2 engine & gearbox with all the ancillaries is to buy a prereg Panda, which is probably what the chap who sold yours did.

Last edited:
Back