Technical Problem with my Panda 1.2 active

Currently reading:
Technical Problem with my Panda 1.2 active

kirkkri

I have a Panda 1.2 active. I have a problem that i unable to fatham out.
Its starts with my power steering light coming on and the staeering becomes heavy.
When i switch the engine off then try to restart it it is dead as if my battery is dead.
I am able to jump start it and everyhing is ok.
It appears to be intermitant. Also i have discovered if i rev my engine the steering light goes out.
I went out this morning, the steering light came on i revved the engine light went off,
but my windscreen wipers were slow and then stopped.
I turned off my car and it did then started it with no problem, the wipers started to work but slowly then they stopped working.
Please help, i am a community Nurse so i need my car.

How old is battery?
Do you have a regular garage that services the car?

And I agree with usual suspects mentioned

Where did you connect the jump leads

1: Battery positive to positive
Battery negative to negative

Or

2: Battery positive to positive
Chassis ground to Chassis gound

If 1: the starter is still using the same ground cable

The fact its altered by reving the engine, my pointing more towards battery or alternator

The wipers, steering and starter all use different ground paths but all collect at the battery negative teminal

Do you have a multimeter, it sounds like we should be able to diagnose the problem and not just throw parts at it

If your car has not got aircon is the alternator aux belt tight

When it fails to turn over, gather as much information as you can some hints here

Last edited:
It’s a new alternator. Had it fitted last year. I put the black lead to the black on the battery and the red lead to the other side.

Why were the alternator and starter changed, was it the same fault

They do fail but are are not a common failure point, unless the car been driven through a flood

Last edited:
Have you had to reset the clock lately because it's been flashing

Do you have any way to. Measure voltage, test light, obd scan tool or multimeter

Any other problems such as

Lights dimming

Electric windows slow

Last edited:
The garage didn’t say it was the same fault. It was last summer. Yes the windows are slow when the steering light comes on. There is never a battery light on the dash board.

The dash light is next to useless once the car has started

It is all controlled down one wire by a computer

It only checks for a cable break at ignition on.

Once it's started it does not come back on unless the battery falls below 4.5V ± 0.2 V

Wipers slow, steering, windows slow, not cranking without a jump start that hasn't bypassed any earth points, is pointing towards a power generation or storage fault

Without some way to measure voltage it going to be difficult to move forwards, unless the dash lights are wrong, as per the link I posted earlier

Only obvious check would be the alternator belt if the car has not got aircon, it should be drum tight

Left hand side as you stand in front of the engine,

IMG_20231227_203435.jpg

Last edited:
Back