Technical Panda with Alexa Car

Currently reading:
Technical Panda with Alexa Car

CP

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has installed a Car Alexa in their Panda using the aux line in? Is it any good or just a pain? Any views on where to stick the microphone/housing?

Thanks,
Chris

I don't know how well it works

I did a site wide search for alexa several people have successfully fitted it to the later panda or 500 via the aux unfortunately none still appear to be active on the forum

@morphdoc

Reactions: CP
Thanks Koalar, appreciate the help. It’s bought now so will try and fit it in the near future and report back.

I cannot vouch for how easily you could install it on a Panda but I have a second generation version in My Golf that connects via Bluetooth to the car.

Very useful for voice controlled music choices. I can add things to my shopping list on the go, ask it questions as you would with any home Alexa and as most of my house is full of smart home tech, I can turn on the lights in the drive, put the kettle on and boost the hot water ready for when I get home from a long drive.
It works seemlessly with Carplay in my car, so if I ask it to play a certain song, that song will show up on the carplay screen and I can skip and rewind using the touch screen or steering wheel buttons in the car.

The microphone is mounted on the dash by my left knee about half way up the dash, you can sometimes have to shout a little to get it's attention, but once it's listening you can talk normally.

I did have the previous 1st generation version as well, my wife still has one in her car it works pretty much the same but is visually a bit more obvious. It clips on the heater vents and has a line of blue light that comes on when you talk to it.

If you use Alexa a lot at home then you will probably find it useful in the car too.

Reactions: CP
Thank you Andy, we use Alexa at home but only for basic stuff like timers and listening to music. In effect, I’m trying to get Apple CarPlay on the cheap (the Echo was in the Amazon sale so price was slashed) and without significantly changing the visuals of the car. It would be better to fit a new head unit but trying to avoid it!

Hi all,

I said I’d update this and have finally got round to fitting the Alexa Car. Wife had a doctor appointment so took her in the Panda and fitted everything whilst I waited, about 15 minutes to install (waited longer!). I’ve stuck the microphone on the side of the gearbox panelling so out of the way and all the cables are largely hidden.

Required the Alexa Car, an auxillary cable to go into the back of the head unit, the removal pins (supplied with cable) and a small flat headed screwdriver to separate the aux plugs on the back of the unit.

I need to level out the volume levels on the apps but I now have full pseudo-bluetooth functionality with satnav etc in the car without significantly changing its looks and for about £35 in totla (£25 for Alexa, £10 for cable).

Cheers,
Chris

Back