20140730_211211.jpg

Panda (Classic) Monica The '88 4x4 Sisley

Introduction

Cameron onemanmade isn't the only member to have brought us a new restoration thread this week, the Northern division also has a new arrival.
As this is an introduction to the car aswell as a progress thread, I'll be taking the story forward from the point where I've started, plus hopefully finding out a bit of her past.

Monica (now named) has been amongst a couple of forum members now, where she has been dry stored for the past few years. David aquamarine got her at first, then she was moved a bit further north to Paul doctyler where she was due for a re-shell into his black 2wd chassis. Paul told me that he currently doesn't have enough time to complete the project, and has his sights on other projects at present, so he asked if I would like to have a go at this one...

As I've only had a brief look over her at present, she is still wearing her coat of storage dust for the pictures...

Paul had been very helpful as always by dragging her out of the store for us to load up.

Originally she was due to be stripped for the drivetrain and running gear plus Sisley specifics for a reshell into a 2wd car as I have said, but we've had a look round her and to be honest I'm happy initially to get her back on the road. The idea of a reshell would be just right for a car like this, but it's something that would take me a long time to get finished - and with the current projects I have on the go it would take even longer!

My idea with Monica is for a basic repair and restore, and a return to the road. Then all being well she will be introducing a new member to our forum in the shape of Sam, our photographer and un-scared Discovery driver from the last Yorkshire weekend, whom most of you met. Sam came along to collect her and have a look with me...

The work required is fairly common Panda stuff.

She doesn't run, Paul suspects an earth fault - I'll get a decent battery and we'll go from there.

Doors... yep need them...

Yes that is expanding foam in the driver's door!

Welding to the footplates inside the doors...

Buff can donate these sections for replacement, his are just fine.

Looking at the sills, they appear to be in fair condition! A little bit of flaking here and there, but solid nonetheless...

Having a quick look round the other usual areas, she seems to be in good condition in all, although I want to get in there with an old screwdriver to make sure...

I'll keep the progress updated as it is made.

The majority of Sisley parts are present on this one, including the roof rack which is rusty but suprisingly solid...

and then there's this, whether it is true or not...

So she's with us now, first target for me is to get her running (after a good wash), so then I don't have to push it in and out of the workshop! Wish me luck, and I will report back :)
Last night I got started on the engine in our really well-lit workshop...

The water pump was the first job, it was a struggle to get out, for good reason...

Closely resembling the back end of the Titanic in it's current state. And the resulting mess in the block...

It's not looking like there has been water in there for a while! There was a small dribble that came out of the radiator when I took the bottom hose off, but everything else is dry as a bone.

So that's all been cleaned and flushed out now, but I forgot my gasket sealant so fitting the new pump will have to wait.

The alternator slackened off easily, the old belt came off nice and oval! The bottom pulley was a pain, the three bolts were very much in there. Nonetheless it came off with a bit of perseverance which meant I could get the crank and cam timed up ready for the new belt. I also got the new tensioner pulley fitted.

After that I started on the thermostat, all came apart nicely to reveal...

More flushing out required!

All cleaned out, new stat and housing on now.

I also got the new coil fitted along with the ignition module and air filter, so she's getting there nicely.

Plenty still to do, I will keep you all updated :)

Last night I got started on the engine in our really well-lit workshop...

The water pump was the first job, it was a struggle to get out, for good reason...

Closely resembling the back end of the Titanic in it's current state. And the resulting mess in the block...

It's not looking like there has been water in there for a while! There was a small dribble that came out of the radiator when I took the bottom hose off, but everything else is dry as a bone.

So that's all been cleaned and flushed out now, but I forgot my gasket sealant so fitting the new pump will have to wait.

The alternator slackened off easily, the old belt came off nice and oval! The bottom pulley was a pain, the three bolts were very much in there. Nonetheless it came off with a bit of perseverance which meant I could get the crank and cam timed up ready for the new belt. I also got the new tensioner pulley fitted.

After that I started on the thermostat, all came apart nicely to reveal...

More flushing out required!

All cleaned out, new stat and housing on now.

I also got the new coil fitted along with the ignition module and air filter, so she's getting there nicely.

Plenty still to do, I will keep you all updated :)

I think that purple haze and some others swear by filling and putting a dishwasher tablet in the rad and running for a while to clean the system before dropping the water, flushing with clean water and then using coolant after.

Never done it myself, but apparently has really good results.

I think that @purple haze and some others swear by filling and putting a dishwasher tablet in the rad and running for a while to clean the system before dropping the water, flushing with clean water and then using coolant after.

Never done it myself, but apparently has really good results.

Alternatively ellectric kettle / washing maschine descaler can be used.

From my own experience - cyl head off and steel rod + compressed air is the best way to clean all water channels and pockets in the block.

Thanks guys, I will try the descaling methods for sure. I've flushed the radiator out aswell, that had plenty of sludge in it, I hope the heater matrix isn't blocked!

I had an hour free last night so I got the shiny new pump on, cam belt and alternator belt on. All timed up, checked and double checked...

After this I started taking the air box assembly off to get the new pulgs and leads in, then came across this...

Nicely blocked up cam breather. It was proper solid like coal - maybe that's what she's been running on. So got all of this cleared out, most of it was in the rubber pipe so that took a while with a small screwdriver.

I'll be back on it this week at some point, so stay tuned :)

Yes no doubt! Does yours have that annoying plastic splash guard in the wheel arch aswell? I couldn't get it off as the screws are just rust blobs, so I had to fold it back gingerly. It doesn't help with seeing the timing marks at all!

Well some good news but some really bad news aswell.

Last night I did the rest of the the part-replacing job; oil & filter, plugs, leads, distributor cap, rotor arm and battery. Here's the original Fiat HT leads...

All coolant pipes back on, I started filling the header tank with coolant, and it promptly came straight back out again. The coolant is leaking from No. 2 cylinder core plugs, both front and back...

Picture is a bit rubbish!

All of the ignition is working as it should though, fuel pump and carb so I got her turning over piped up to a jerry can and she tried to fire on maybe 1 or 2 cylinders, so I suspect the water problem may be more deep rooted than can be seen on the surface.

Tonight Sam and I are going to start to take the engine out and replace it for one that I know runs well. When Monica's engine is on the bench I will take it apart to get to the bottom of the problems.

More updates will follow :)

Last edited:
Well the nackered power house is out!

I've left the box in as I only have the block as a spare, thanks to a quick consultation with Dragon Man to inform me that the left hand side gearbox mount had to be taken off in order to actually get the block out with the clutch still on. Cheers for that John.

I haven't had chance to have a good look at the old engine yet but I will report back about it when I've got the new lump in and working.

Hopefully tonight I'll have time to get the new clutch and fly wheel on. Then it'll be time to start swapping all the new bits I put on the nackered engine over to the working block, happy days! :)

That was quick.

- At this rate perhaps, if its needed, an engine swap part way through an off road event isn't out of the question.☺

Good work chaps.

Well I only get about 2 hours a week to work on the cars so can't be messing about, engine swap mid-stage sounds very probable, I'll carry the spare on the roofrack and hope I don't get oil dribbling down the windscreen :D

Time for some more work on Monica tonight, engines at the ready...

The main job for tonight was to swap the fly wheel over and install the new clutch, the donor engine did not come with these parts.

Fly wheel cleaned up and swapped over...

Clutch assembly installed and lined up to "receive the shaft", and thrust bearing...

After this I got the solid piece of coolant pipe swapped over, this is the one that runs from the water pump housing. It's not in great condition as it stands with both ends rotting steadily. It's all cleaned up but it will probably need replacing soon.

Now that the old engine is starting to be minimalised, it's becoming obvious where the main leakage points were. Along with the core plugs in cylinder 2, behind the flywheel there is this...

More will be revealed no doubt when I strip it down after Monica is back on the road.

So next it'll be engine in and connected back upto the gearbox, I will report back :)

Another couple of hours thisaft and a couple of hands from my cousin; engine in...

The main bit of trouble we had was getting the gearbox shaft lined up with the clutch. John Dragon Man had warned me of this, but thankfully I didn't have to re-align the clutch it was just the bell housing angle in accordance with the engine block, and that silly steel protective plate which lives between the two. A bit of care, time and jacking up though, they were married!

After this, engine & box mounts back in place, starter, alternator and bottom pulley back on before time ran out on us. More updates next week :)

Last edited:
Back