Technical Jumpy and jerky running

Currently reading:
Technical Jumpy and jerky running

Indeed, I thought the fault code would move to post cat rather than pre cat, although I'm not sure if there is a code for post cat?

Mes doesn't tell me much about the lambdas on 16v version compared to 8v, would you recommend swapping em back round or just replacing the one that is the suspect?

P0420 is pretty typical for a second lambda fault. On mine, though, it was the cat. (I replaced the lambdas, first, though....) :(

If you get a live voltage reading from both lambdas, the first -- once the car has warmed up (i.e. is on closed loop...) -- will spike like crazy. However, the second should stay pretty flat. If it's spiking in parallel with the first one, your cat may be frelled... -- although it's worth trying a known-good/new lambda in its place, just in case. :eek:

Edit
This is what mine looked like before I replaced the cat... :mad:

...and this is what it looks like now...! (It's the bottom two lines, on each screen.) :)

Last edited:
P0420 is pretty typical for a second lambda fault. On mine, though, it was the cat. (I replaced the lambdas, first, though....) :(

If you get a live voltage reading from both lambdas, the first -- once the car has warmed up (i.e. is on closed loop...) -- will spike like crazy. However, the second should stay pretty flat. If it's spiking in parallel with the first one, your cat may be frelled... -- although it's worth trying a known-good/new lambda in its place, just in case. :eek:

Edit
This is what mine looked like before I replaced the cat... :mad:

...and this is what it looks like now...! (It's the bottom two lines, on each screen.) :)

Hmm, hoping its not the cat although wouldn't be the end of the world -- hopefully a new lambda will sort out this issue (i will be replacing the pre cat lambda although this is now in the post cat position) :p

I've monitored it on mes on laptop but all is showing is closed loop to open loop for pre cat and the post cat shows constant open loop and will maybe blip to closed loop when I applied some revs (least 2000),

P.s. is that multiecuscan, app version? Or Bluetooth? :)

P.s. is that multiecuscan, app version? Or Bluetooth? :)

It's done via Bluetooth, on my iPhone, using the BlueDriver sensor and associated Scan Tool app. Not particularly cheap -- but as long as I have my phone with me (which is always), then I can check what the car's doing. (Doesn't yet do airbags, PAS, etc. -- which is why I still have a netbook, and a full set of leads... -- but is still fairly comprehensive; and the live data feed is very useful. The technical support is also very good!) :cool:

Good luck...! (y)

It's done via Bluetooth, on my iPhone, using the BlueDriver sensor and associated Scan Tool app. Not particularly cheap -- but as long as I have my phone with me (which is always), then I can check what the car's doing. (Doesn't yet do airbags, PAS, etc. -- which is why I still have a netbook, and a full set of leads... -- but is still fairly comprehensive; and the live data feed is very useful. The technical support is also very good!) :cool:

Good luck...! (y)

99 squid while you can get everything same in different program for free? have you lost your mind blud

99 squid while you can get everything same in different program for free? have you lost your mind blud

It's 99 dollars -- and it was a present; and a good one, too.... (y)

And, to be honest, I'm not well chuffed with you questioning either my sanity or purchasing decisions.... No-one goes around on the Forum saying that you shouldn't have spent so many hundred or thousand on a particular car. It's personal choice; personal freedom; and I had thought this section of the Forum was free from such judgmental nonsense.... :nono:

By the way: the cables for MES, of course, aren't free; and the convenience of being able to access all this information on the move without having a laptop on your passenger's lap is priceless. :p

I tried a couple of the cheap Bluetooth dongles -- which is probably what prompted this as a gift... -- and both got sent back. :(

Local scrap yard wanted 25 for used lambda, pfft totally typical for my scrap yard..useless!

Anyway, so ordered a new one from eurocarcare with Fiat Forum discount :thumbup:

Now..which lambda should I replace with this new one.... :D

Riiiigth...New lambda sensor arrived next day thanks to eurocarare (excellent service and quality part btw) :thumbup:

New lambda has been installed for a couple days now, and at first the car seemed a lot smoother (placebo effect maybe..)

Also the lambda error code has been cleared and not come back (so the old lambda clearly was a problem),

But the car is still running lumpy at low speeds especially in traffic when on off the throttle!

I'm a bit stumped now, any suggestions?

Ok compression test seems simple enough to do?

Even thought ht leads are only 3 months old?

Thanks

Compression test is easy. Get the engine nice and hot. Disconnect the crank sensor (easy peasy on a Mk2), remove all the plugs. Crank the engine, with the throttle fully open (help to have a helper!). Write down the pressures, pour 5cc max engine oil in each cylinder in turn (syringe, etc), repeat.

Even white box leads should be OK after 2 months. So forget that.

Compression test is easy. Get the engine nice and hot. Disconnect the crank sensor (easy peasy on a Mk2), remove all the plugs. Crank the engine, with the throttle fully open (help to have a helper!). Write down the pressures, pour 5cc max engine oil in each cylinder in turn (syringe, etc), repeat.

Even white box leads should be OK after 2 months. So forget that.

The leads I replaced were knackered, these seem fine :)

Ok I will order a compression tester, any specifics/adapters needed for 16v?

Otherwise cam timing after compression test?

Back