Technical Fiat Punto ELX 20011.2 8V - Starting and acceleration problems

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat Punto ELX 20011.2 8V - Starting and acceleration problems

PuntoELX01

Hello guys,

I am just started to get to renew my grandfather's Fiat Punto ELX from 2001 1.2 8V, it had been almost 3 years without working (since he's gone) and now it have some issues to take care of.
I already had changed battery, coolant radiator, the spark plugs, crankshaft sensor, coolant liquid, motor oil and filters (it doesn't have a fuel filter, it does but is inside the fuel pump and here I can´t buy just the filter) but I still got two problems that I'm not getting to solve: in cold it doesn´t start good, I mean it is hard to get it started, I have to rotate the key 3 or 4 times until it starts and there is where the other problem comes up, if I give full throttle the rotations decrease to less than 500 rpm (idle rotations: 850 rpm +/-) and the car seems to choking, almost turns off and stays like that a little and then it accelerate normally (i already have bought some injector cleaner and 98 gasoline with additives because before that if I hit the pedal to the metal the engine turn off as soon as the throttle went to the max), but if I hit the throttle gradually the car seems to have nothing.
Does someone had this problem? Or can someone gave me some help on this?
I thank everyone in advance for their help.

Regards :)

Would you know if it had any issues whilst grandfather was still driving it?
How many miles/kms?
Have you done a compression test, if low may account for poor starting /longer cranking etc.
Has all the old stale fuel gone now?
Why was radiator changed, did it overheat?
If it was mainly old/stale fuel etc. then fresh fuel and injector cleaner should help.
Modern fuel goes off quite quickly, I have known old motorbikes with 20 year old leaded petrol start and run happily once points and plugs had been checked.
I had an old boat that I changed to a diesel and put the 5star petrol that had been in the boat since before1982 into my old Fiat Uno to use it up and I can honestly say it had never gone that well on current petrol!!!:)

Would you know if it had any issues whilst grandfather was still driving it?
How many miles/kms?
Have you done a compression test, if low may account for poor starting /longer cranking etc.
Has all the old stale fuel gone now?
Why was radiator changed, did it overheat?
If it was mainly old/stale fuel etc. then fresh fuel and injector cleaner should help.
Modern fuel goes off quite quickly, I have known old motorbikes with 20 year old leaded petrol start and run happily once points and plugs had been checked.
I had an old boat that I changed to a diesel and put the 5star petrol that had been in the boat since before1982 into my old Fiat Uno to use it up and I can honestly say it had never gone that well on current petrol!!!:)
Hi mate,
It has 207000 kms.
When my grandfather was still driving it there was not any of this problems.
The radiator was changed because it had a leak.
Today I disassembled the fuel pump to check it out and found that it wasn't ok because the piece where the fuel filter conects (I don´t know the technical name of it) fell as soon as I removed the pump, so I am going to replace the fuel pump.
I haven´t done a compression test yet, but if the problem remains after changing the fuel pump, it´s the first I am going to do.
Yes, fresh fuel (I bought the best I could) and injector cleaner improved a lot the working of the car, but the problems remained so I thought that couldn´t be injector problems and went to check the fuel pump like I said.
Thank you for your reply and your help.
Kind regards :)

Back