Technical Jumpy and jerky running

Currently reading:
Technical Jumpy and jerky running

idont like taking the airbox off, its a faff,
im going to replace the bolts -soon/ish with something that is quick release,
wing nuts or sumat, dunno yet,

True, don't mind for a big job but just to unplug a sensor is a bit faff..3 tedious screws, 2 jubilee clips screws everytime :p

Anyway, pondering about an engine mount overhaul...

Was starting to lean towards replacing the 2 mounts within the engine bay...but I'm starting to think its not a mechanical issue as such, more of a sensor or reading issue of the like -- reason I say is, after experimenting yesterday, I can easily recreate the jerking in 1st at low speed, all I got to do is come off the throttle at about 5mph and a short delay (about just over a second later) the car will jerk very violently forward and then maybe back, (extremely annoying seeing the unsuspecting passenger go flying forward as if we have been hit from behind). The affect is similar when I pickup the throttle but I don't think as bad, just the total opposite of smooth.

Now my gut instinct tells me that after I've released the throttle that some kind of sensor isnt giving the right reading and its jerking under incorrect circumstances (whether it be air ratios, fuel etc, I'm not sure)?

If it were to be the mounts I would have thought that the jerking would be immediate and happens consistently and also throughout the gear and speed ranges,

Could anyone shed any further light on this?

You might be best just to,have a play with M.E.S and see whats going on,

ive simalar issues;with 16valvers.. before but that turned out to be Timing out,

as ive mentioned before, Mount is worn out on mine,but car still runs smooth
no lumpy'ness,

its the lower mount,(dogbone) that acts as the 'roll restricter' for the engine,
so icarnt seeing it being a mount issue,as iknow youve swapped the D/B out,.

You might be best just to,have a play with M.E.S and see whats going on,

ive simalar issues;with 16valvers.. before but that turned out to be Timing out,

as ive mentioned before, Mount is worn out on mine,but car still runs smooth
no lumpy'ness,

its the lower mount,(dogbone) that acts as the 'roll restricter' for the engine,
so icarnt seeing it being a mount issue,as iknow youve swapped the D/B out,.

Have had a look on mes, but am not sure of what I'm looking for, not sure at all what the values, etc should be :confused:

Yes I agree with you, I'm leaning towards it not being the mounts (although they look worn),

Have just been standing staring at the engine for about 15mins trying to think what it could be, I'm lost what to look for now...

Have had a look on mes, but am not sure of what I'm looking for, not sure at all what the values, etc should be :confused:

Yes I agree with you, I'm leaning towards it not being the mounts (although they look worn),

Have just been standing staring at the engine for about 15mins trying to think what it could be, I'm lost what to look for now...

Also forgot to mention, does this look normal for the MAP sensor and the hole where the MAP goes? Oil on the sensor, and in hole.

Attachments

• 1408555310523.jpg
    1408555310523.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 1408555319648.jpg
    1408555319648.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 25
The only thing that realy stand's out here,
if you re-trace your step's (lamba sensor's)

You had one 'Moody one,that brought up the 'EML' Yes?
but when you swapped them round, the EML cleared,

but that'd only sugest to me that youve just moved a fault,

Indeed, I thought the fault code would move to post cat rather than pre cat, although I'm not sure if there is a code for post cat?

Mes doesn't tell me much about the lambdas on 16v version compared to 8v, would you recommend swapping em back round or just replacing the one that is the suspect?
Thanks

TBH, id just find one in a scrapyard or get one' off someone breaking one,
if then it dosent turn out to be the 'Lambda sensor. youve not lost much,
& then at least youve gained another spare part for a 'rainy day,

but as this 'Lambda sensor is or has been flagged up in the past,id be looking at that as suspect,
these things take alot of heat, and it couid be as old as the car,

it couid be feeding the ecu lies, making it overfuel or underfuel,

TBH, id just find one in a scrapyard or get one' off someone breaking one,
if then it dosent turn out to be the 'Lambda sensor. youve not lost much,
& then at least youve gained another spare part for a 'rainy day,

but as this 'Lambda sensor is or has been flagged up in the past,id be looking at that as suspect,
these things take alot of heat, and it couid be as old as the car,

it couid be feeding the ecu lies, making it overfuel or underfuel,

Will get a quote off scrap yard or pick up one off eBay, hopefully a working one!

Tbh both lambdas look 10+ years old!

Cheers, will get back with results

^

(Loops

The computer uses the oxygen sensor's input to regulate the fuel mixture, which is referred to as the fuel "feedback control loop." The computer takes its cues from the O2 sensor and responds by changing the fuel mixture. This produces a corresponding change in the O2 sensor reading. This is referred to as "closed loop" operation because the computer is using the O2 sensor's input to regulate the fuel mixture. The result is a constant flip-flop back and forth from rich to lean which allows the catalytic converter to operate at peak efficiency while keeping the average overall fuel mixture in proper balance to minimize emissions. It's a complicated setup but it works.)

Back