i've been scammed advice please...

Currently reading:
i've been scammed advice please...

chappers14

Hi as the title says, i know i've been scammed...

sorry for the long story but:

i wanted some rugby 6 nations tickets to watch eng vs ire at twickenham, this bloke who introduced himself as Reno Attard, was selling 4 for £350 on http://london.craigslist.co.uk/, so i got in touch whith him by email as that was the only contact method, i asked to see photos of the tickets which he supplied and they looked legit, so i agreed to buy them and he said he would go through ebay, so shortly after that i got a response from ebay asking me to send money to an ebay agent via western union and they will hold onto the funds until i recieve the tickets and im happy with them, if no tracking number is supplied within 3 business days then i will get my money returned. Once i had sent the money via western union he said he would send the tickets first thing monday on the way to work. so monday came no information i kept chasing him with no response. so now i've contacted ebay uk and the ebay message that i got sent, still waiting a reply off them.

how ever in the mean time, he said he lived in South Shields, Newcastle, and on BT you can find peoples addresses and numbers on their website, so lowe and behold i managed to find his address information only thing is i live just outside Birmingham so its a bit of a treck to go n confirm this information.

but i really want to get my money back obviously.

advice would be appreciated.

Hi as the title says, i know i've been scammed...

sorry for the long story but:

i wanted some rugby 6 nations tickets to watch eng vs ire at twickenham, this bloke who introduced himself as Reno Attard, was selling 4 for £350 on http://london.craigslist.co.uk/, so i got in touch whith him by email as that was the only contact method, i asked to see photos of the tickets which he supplied and they looked legit, so i agreed to buy them and he said he would go through ebay, so shortly after that i got a response from ebay asking me to send money to an ebay agent via western union and they will hold onto the funds until i recieve the tickets and im happy with them, if no tracking number is supplied within 3 business days then i will get my money returned. Once i had sent the money via western union he said he would send the tickets first thing monday on the way to work. so monday came no information i kept chasing him with no response. so now i've contacted ebay uk and the ebay message that i got sent, still waiting a reply off them.

how ever in the mean time, he said he lived in South Shields, Newcastle, and on BT you can find peoples addresses and numbers on their website, so lowe and behold i managed to find his address information only thing is i live just outside Birmingham so its a bit of a treck to go n confirm this information.

but i really want to get my money back obviously.

advice would be appreciated.

have you actually checked it was ever on eBay
A listing,not just an email

TBH the whole thing screams scam
you have basically gifted the money to these people

Like custard said, I don't reckon it was on eBay.

so shortly after that i got a response from ebay asking me to send money to an ebay agent via western union and they will hold onto the funds until i recieve the tickets and im happy with them, if no tracking number is supplied within 3 business days then i will get my money returned.

eBay don't do things like that, they own PayPal so that's the medium they use for money transfers. This 'eBay agent' that you transferred the money to is most likely the scammer himself. What details did you have for them?

I wouldn't trust that he is actually in South Shields, after all, if he was scamming you then he shouldn't be telling you his real address.

no he said he'd contacted ebay to send the payment details to me

and i've got the details of the "ebay agent" i sent it to name n location they would have had to register with Western Union and they would need ID to get the funds out, but data protection wont let me have the address of the agent.

i know looking back on it, it is a scam, i feel useless and just pi55ed off that i always pick the loaded gun

IIRC correctly ebay advise against western union transfers? and ebay wouldnt request money from you - once you have won an item through ebay, it takes you to a page where you pay - they dont ask you to send money to an agent etc. also if it was on ebay, you can see sellerss profile, feedback, contact information, location. Unless ive read it wrong there is noway this was ever on ebay...

yeah that's true

they gave me an ebay item number but i checked it on ebay n its bogus, i've contacted ebay uk on wednesday via email (no response yet) but i'm probably better off phoning them to see what they say cos they'll want know that somebody's damaging their reputation.

i've been told by my friends to report it to the police, but what can they do apart from giving me a crime reference number?

BRVOUCHER2.jpg

eBay won't care, they'll just tell you that it was your own fault. If they claimed against every scammer pretending to be them, they'd be incredibly busy and have legal fees of millions.

I'm sorry to say it, but there's nothing you can do now, except learn the lesson and be more careful next time.

he sent me pictures of the tickets but they could have been any picture off the internet.

look i know now i shouldnt have done it, i just need advise on how to report this or if there's a possibility of getting my money back

he maybe does own the tickets, does it several times to unsuspecting people, but has no intention of selling them, what i have seen on many a forum is get the seller to take a picture of the item with his/hers username written on abit of paper etc so yo can the seller has the item in their possession, also eliminates people selling things they dont actually have yet and then using your money to buy that item to sell to you (dropshipping i believe its called??) anyway, i wouldnnt bother with ebay etc as tecnically its nothing to do with them and they cant claim your money back, i would contact your bank, see if they can cancel the payments?? and i dont know much bout western union etc, so try that.. and this website you bought them off - not even gonna open the link - F*** knows what it contains lol is it well known?, any support on there?

I thought ebay had stopped people selling tickets for events over their site?

Next time use a proper ticker agent like ticketmasters etc or contact england RU to see how to purchase tickets

aye just have to accept the loss that's my overtime for working christmas day gone down the drain :cry:

just puts you off buying anything at all, putting too much trust into people.

Back