Power Tool advice

Currently reading:
Power Tool advice

I like to buy reasonably good tools at a reasonable price but I’m not paying the stupid prices of things like snapon
That said if it’s under high torque then I’m not going to waste time using a gun on it and will reach straight for the breaker bar.
I agree about Snap On tools, I feel you are paying for the name, though I know people have had warranty honoured, I prefer tools that don't need to be returned. I still have Britool spanners from around 1972 that I have used constantly. The secret is not to loan them out.;)

That said if it’s under high torque then I’m not going to waste time using a gun on it and will reach straight for the breaker bar.
As discuss before, it's a difficult call between breaker bar sharing a bolt and breaking the torque. I've slowly sheared more bolts with breaker bar than impact gun

Last edited:
As discuss before, it's a difficult call between breaker bar sharing a bolt and breaking the torque. I've slowly shared more bolts with breaker bar than impact gun
I’m referring more to high torque nuts and bolts like you’d find on a wheel hub/bearing or similar.

I wish I’d had a gun when doing the rear shocks on my old mk2 Punto as while it probably wouldn’t have taken the bolts out very easily the shock from the gun might have loosened all the rust and grime from the exposed end of the bolts. I used a lot of heat on them to get them out.

The bigger the bolt the less likelihood of shearing them, but equally the gun is less likely to move them

Given the price of Dewalt and the lack of transparency when it comes to all the different battery types and then inability to buy those batteries later on, I’m leaning toward Makita again

The drill and impact driver I have is a Makita G-Series which are very well made just no longer supported. I think I’ll get a new battery for them, and then look at their LXT stuff which has been a round a long time and comes with a huge amount of compatible tools.

At least then I’m getting something that’s a decent quality, but also well supported and a reasonable price.

I’m also going to cut costs where I can’t by buying corded tools where having battery power isn’t necessary

Doing things this way means I don’t have to rebuy a drill and impact driver and I can keep everything else in the same system, when the stuff I currently have does eventually die then it won’t be much hasssle to switch over to a something that takes the LXT batteries.

I have a bit of a psychological barrier when it comes to Dewalt, their stuff may be good but I hear a lot of negative information from professionals who use it day in day out. The prices can be extremely high for somethings and there is no explainable reason why one thing costs £200 more than another seemingly identical tool.

I’ve seen a lot of good press on milwaukee tools they seems to be very popular in the USA especially in garages, I just don’t know anyone here that uses them or know enough about their long term compatibility

Anyone got anything negative to say about the Makita LXT stuff. ?
Battery drills can be a bit lacking in power, so select the model carefully before purchase. All the Makikta I have had or used at work have been faultlessly reliable. I agree they are a sloid brand. I had a petrol chainsaw from tehm that was better than any I ever bought at work when in Parks. I find my current Ryobi also good, Brushless drill with electronic torque control is very powerful and effective, also small sixe and light weight. My oldest battery is still the best and is now 10 years old. I think my use level must be absoutey right for it, Its run down and recharged around every 3 to 5 weeks. The One plus system works well for my home uses. Their stupid pricing and discounting make them hard to get value from as you often pay over the odds.

Back