General Imola Blue -- Ooops! WE NEED UPDATES!!

Currently reading:
General Imola Blue -- Ooops! WE NEED UPDATES!!

Re: Imola Blue -- Ooops!

That is my point. The rads tiny. From the works. Standard or turn up the boost (ergo engine death comes sooner as boost = power = heat)and drive hard on a m-way and it's game over flat out. No matter what you do.

Which brings me to the Blue Cinq. If the temp was Ok you should have been ok with timing and fueling dialed in. Somethings obv gone breasts north. We will find out shortly children.....

I think his point was that the manufacturer spec model did that, and you'd think they should know what tolerances the car should withstand through rigorous testing, and they still went bad.

Makes no difference either way though, its a bit OT :)

Take it you haven't pulled off the head yet fingers, in itching to find out what went pear shaped! Fingers ;) crossed its cheap :D

Kristian

Last edited:

A pressure test?

I'm sure a compression test will reveal at least one cylinder down! But when an engine spews most of its oil out of the filler cap, you know that at least the head has to come off ;)

I'm hoping for half way decent weather at the weekend........................

mis-typed yes a compression tester, and yes i know, just would've been something i would've done while i was bored trying to think of what i need to fix it before i took the head off saying that, id have the head off that night knowing me. replaced my punto's gearbox when i snapped a driveshaft in 6 hours including sourcing and collecting the box and shaft

Jordan

Bump, well bang, have you done the autopsy yet?

Not yet. Orange requires some routine maintenance which may take it off the road for a while, so I have to get Yellow back on the road so I have at least 1 car mobile! At least I have the bits for Yellow. ;) Plus, even after I've done the autopsy I'm skint till the end of February.

Panic not. Blue is not forgotten. If things go according to plan the autopsy will be done in the warm and dry and the wee beasty will be terrorising BMWs and humbling Alfas again by the spring.............:yum:

Bump, well bang, have you done the autopsy yet?

Not yet. Orange requires some routine maintenance which may take it off the road for a while, so I have to get Yellow back on the road so I have at least 1 car mobile! At least I have the bits for Yellow. ;) Plus, even after I've done the autopsy I'm skint till the end of February.

Panic not. Blue is not forgotten. If things go according to plan the autopsy will be done in the warm and dry and the wee beasty will be terrorising BMWs and humbling Alfas again by the spring.............:yum:

Did you ever find the problem with this at all fingers?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Did you ever find the problem with this at all fingers? :eek:

Any idea's at all what could've caused it? could it be something blocked in the oil lines like oil cooler or anything? :)

Still not done. Waiting for cash so I can put the mods to prevent this ever happening again in place (as there's little point in just pulling it to bits, replacing what went and praying).

Planned mods include sodium filled SS inlets, SS exhausts, head studs to replace bolts, aftermarket ECU, forged pistons, bigger intercooler, 1380 flywheel and clutch. I'm also going to look at piston cooling by oil squirter, O ringing the block and a solid gasket, a less restrictive exhaust and a different turbo. Then it's bigger wheels and...............

Dear God, I can hear the cash tills ringing........................

I'm 100% sure it's either the HG (if I'm very, very, lucky) or some variation on the theme of piston failure.

Well, oil filler cup popping, means direct connection of the cylinder with the camshaft chamber, so probably head gasket blown and cylinder to oil line is open.

If it had a piston hole, it would be the oil check rod that would pop, as compression would escape through the bottom and into the sump.

Problem with aftermarket turbos on stock N/A ECUs plus extra injector, is that you can't alter ignition timing so it matches high boost compustion. I managed myself too, to evaporate an exhaust valve during full throttle highway run, although air/fuel meter was showing rich enough mixture. Seemed the engine was knocking but there was no way for me to tell.

Right now, i am still on extra injector and stock ECU, but no more than 0.4bar overpressure, until I Megasquirt it. A knock sensor and a VAG boost control electrovalve are already in my hands, so Megasquirt will be able to cope with high boost (even though a wideband lambda is still needed for accurate boost fuelling...)

Well, oil filler cup popping, means direct connection of the cylinder with the camshaft chamber, so probably head gasket blown and cylinder to oil line is open.

If it had a piston hole, it would be the oil check rod that would pop, as compression would escape through the bottom and into the sump.

Let's hope so! But the dipstick (oil check rod) did pop too...........

Problem with aftermarket turbos on stock N/A ECUs plus extra injector, is that you can't alter ignition timing so it matches high boost compustion. I managed myself too, to evaporate an exhaust valve during full throttle highway run, although air/fuel meter was showing rich enough mixture. Seemed the engine was knocking but there was no way for me to tell.

Yeah. My own feeling is that the valves themselves (especially the exhaust valve) are not made of good enough material (they're magnetic!) so I want to go to sodium filled stainless for the exhausts, stainless for the intakes (which will mean going to aluminium bronze guides).

Right now, i am still on extra injector and stock ECU, but no more than 0.4bar overpressure, until I Megasquirt it. A knock sensor and a VAG boost control electrovalve are already in my hands, so Megasquirt will be able to cope with high boost (even though a wideband lambda is still needed for accurate boost fuelling...)

I think an aftermarket ECU is the way to go. Trying to control detonation with fuelling alone seems to work well enough with concentric superchargers, but they don't have the "oops!" factors a turbo has. I'm still trying to find an ECU that does everything I want it to.

come on, any news??

Nada, really, waiting for next tranche of money as I've got to buy (at very least) set of Mahle pistons, clutch and flywheel and I'm looking at head studs, solid copper HG, programmable ECU, bigger intercooler, carbon front and rear bumper, carbon (structural!) roof inserts and side skirts as well as some SS valves. Donations of £2,000 welcome.......

In the meantime, what's left from my wages (apart from Blue's new 15" wheels, which I may start re-finishing this weekend) is going on stuff Orange needs (mainly new flexi section -- more on this later as I think I've saved £100 + on what FIAT wanted -- new Punto GT brakes, new shockers) to keep on trucking and get through the MOT.

I've also got a cunning plan for Yellow's V6 transplant............. ;)

Nada, really, waiting for next tranche of money as I've got to buy (at very least) set of Mahle pistons, clutch and flywheel and I'm looking at head studs, solid copper HG, programmable ECU, bigger intercooler, carbon front and rear bumper, carbon (structural!) roof inserts and side skirts as well as some SS valves. Donations of £2,000 welcome.......

In the meantime, what's left from my wages (apart from Blue's new 15" wheels, which I may start re-finishing this weekend) is going on stuff Orange needs (mainly new flexi section -- more on this later as I think I've saved £100 + on what FIAT wanted -- new Punto GT brakes, new shockers) to keep on trucking and get through the MOT.

I've also got a cunning plan for Yellow's V6 transplant............. ;)

oooh new 15" wheels? do tell :p

Easiest one first. New wheels are 15" 6J Alfa ones (the ones with the big holes, rather than the pepperpot type) tiny bit of kerbing on one and huge offset (so big spacers to come). These are to go some way towards raising the gearing. They'll be white and cost £12.50 each. There's a pic of them in silver on my blog, somewhere.

The carbon fibre bits. Well, a few years ago Glassplies sold me some very coarse carbon cloth which had started to unravel very cheap. So I used bits and peices on non-visible bits of bikes, and then made an experimental brake torque arm. It was maybe 10mm o/d, laid up in a 2 part mold made from some tube which Merseymetals had sold me cheap.......

Anyway, the strands were laid lengthways. I can't get a 2foot length of this to deflect at all, and it weighs bugger all. So, plan is to remove the plasticc bits where you're supposed to put the roof-rack and, rather than fill it cosmetically, as the styling folk do, cast in carbon bars! I'll also knock up some carbon side skirts (with the emphasis on fore to aft lay up) and bond them in place.

batman300.jpg

Back