Technical Starting Cinquecento Sporting restoration - some advice needed

Currently reading:
Technical Starting Cinquecento Sporting restoration - some advice needed

cherrera

Hi, I'm starting to restore one of these. I had one about 23 years ago, and I always missed it. I'm waiting on the sellers's family, as this one was being restored by an old man that passed away. So far it has been painted (and it looks ok) and it has a valid MOT (or the equivalent in my country), but there is a long list of things to check, fix and replace.

My question is, the instrument cluster needles are very faded. I checked and there is a special fluorescent paint available, but in other parts, some people mention red permanent marker. That should work at least while I got the paint? Someone tried that?

My main issue is with the tyres this Cinq has fitted, they are a from a chinese brand, so I'll change them in the near future. Any brand or model recommendations?

Thanks a lot!

Hi, I'm starting to restore one of these. I had one about 23 years ago, and I always missed it. I'm waiting on the sellers's family, as this one was being restored by an old man that passed away. So far it has been painted (and it looks ok) and it has a valid MOT (or the equivalent in my country), but there is a long list of things to check, fix and replace.

My question is, the instrument cluster needles are very faded. I checked and there is a special fluorescent paint available, but in other parts, some people mention red permanent marker. That should work at least while I got the paint? Someone tried that?

My main issue is with the tyres this Cinq has fitted, they are a from a chinese brand, so I'll change them here in the near future. Any brand or model recommendations?

Thanks a lot!
I think it's not ideal for long-term use. Over time, the marker can smear and fade, affecting the readability of the gauges.

You can pull off the needles from the gauges and fit needles from another gauge which are better. Quite a minor thing to worry about though - there may be other issues which require attention 😁

Best of luck with the project👍🏻

You can pull off the needles from the gauges and fit needles from another gauge which are better. Quite a minor thing to worry about though - there may be other issues which require attention 😁

Best of luck with the project👍🏻
Thanks, I got the paint, applied it and it looks good!

Good luck with the project, any tyres will do, I mean it's a low powered car and you are unlikely to be thrashing it bearing in mind its -5* euro ncap crash rating 🙄👍🇮🇪

Yes, how times have changed, back in the day I made long trips in my Cinquecento (400 kms each way). Today, I think I'll use it only in the city.

And speaking of tyres, I'll get 175/50 R13.

Yes, how times have changed, back in the day I made long trips in my Cinquecento (400 kms each way). Today, I think I'll use it only in the city.

And speaking of tyres, I'll get 175/50 R13.
My tyres are 155.... that's what was on it when I got it so simply followed what was there. They are 6 years old now and with low mileage almost like new🤭

Back