Technical Help, new to site, egr issue

Currently reading:
Technical Help, new to site, egr issue

I hope so! Terrified that something else will go wrong now! ? although I got my media player working so that's a bonus!

Well here's hoping!

You will need to keep on top of things though and that means not skimping on servicing and making sure the car gets proper runs so that the DPF can regenerate properly. I realise that in the normal hubub of life, these things are easily forgotten, but unfortunately, forget them and you'll end up seriously out of pocket. Please take heed of the cambelt/waterpump/tensioner warning. If they haven't been done and you're planning on keeping the car for 2 or 3 years, £350 now will be much cheaper than a wrecked engine which will set you back 4 x the cost of the cambelt.

Good luck with the car!

Well here's hoping!

You will need to keep on top of things though and that means not skimping on servicing and making sure the car gets proper runs so that the DPF can regenerate properly. I realise that in the normal hubub of life, these things are easily forgotten, but unfortunately, forget them and you'll end up seriously out of pocket. Please take heed of the cambelt/waterpump/tensioner warning. If they haven't been done and you're planning on keeping the car for 2 or 3 years, £350 now will be much cheaper than a wrecked engine which will set you back 4 x the cost of the cambelt.

Good luck with the car!

Fab thanks, will definitely look into that now I'm not stomping my feet! ??

Please take heed of the cambelt/waterpump/tensioner warning. If they haven't been done and you're planning on keeping the car for 2 or 3 years, £350 now will be much cheaper than a wrecked engine which will set you back 4 x the cost of the cambelt.

Frupi, it's a diesel so won't have a cambelt - the camshaft is chain driven. At some point it may be advisable to change the camchain, but at 66k and 8k/yr I'd have thought it'd be good for another couple of years at least.

I doubt you'd get a camchain replaced for £350.

Frupi, it's a diesel so won't have a cambelt - the camshaft is chain driven. At some point it may be advisable to change the camchain, but at 66k and 8k/yr I'd have thought it'd be good for another couple of years at least.

I doubt you'd get a camchain replaced for £350.

Yes, I realised that about 10 minutes ago. I got a bit carried away on that, but only because my diesel engine does have a belt and not a chain.

Concerning the chain, whilst I agree, ordinarily, that it should last the lifetime of the vehicle, on some engines, this can definitely not be the case. BMW 118D pre 2010, my previous neighbour had one, chain snapped, 5.5k for a brand new engine.

I read this thread a few minutes before you posted:

https://www.fiatforum.com/panda/308979-1-3-multijet-timing-belt-change-advice.html

Quick clarification - last October as in 2016, or last October as in 2015?

We will try not to frighten you too much in the first week!

October 2015, feel a bit daft thought I was buying a cute little run around didn't realise I had to treat her like a princess! ?

October 2015, feel a bit daft thought I was buying a cute little run around didn't realise I had to treat her like a princess! ��

That's over a year ago!

I suppose the next natural question is, how many miles has the car done since the last service to the present day?......

You got there before me this time ;)

By rights it should probably be serviced again now; at the very least, it should get an oil & filter change, especially since it's just had a forced DPF regeneration.

Given the price you paid for it, it's shameful that this wasn't done before you took delivery.

Last edited:
That's over a year ago!

You got there before me this time ;)

By rights it should be serviced again now; at the very least, it should get an oil & filter change, especially since it's just had a forced DPF regeneration.

Given the price you paid for it, it's shameful that this wasn't done before you took delivery.

Yes it is a bit disappointing, needless to say I wont be purchasing another car from them any time soon!

The mileage at the last change was 58k it's now on 66k

To be on the safe side, and especially as they've told you that they've done a forced regen, I'd have an oil and filter change done at the very least and then step back and relax a bit. When is the next MOT due?

Next MOT is due July, will Def get oil and filter done soonest ?

Order the bits online then get an independent garage to fit them. Shouldnt take more than an hour to do an oil change and oil/air filters. I use Castrol edge titanium 5w-30 oil in my 08 1.3 (70k miles). Filters will be £10 or less each and 4l of oil around £30-35. Cheaper brands of oil are available.

Last edited:
Next MOT is due July, will Def get oil and filter done soonest ��

When the oil & filter are changed on DPF-equipped diesels, it's essential to reset the oil degradation counter or the DPF may not be able regenerate properly. If you have the oil changed by a franchised dealer, this should be done as a matter of course; if you have it done by an independent garage, make sure they have the necessary equipment to reset the oil degradation counter before allowing them to do the work.

If you change the oil yourself, the licenced version of multiecuscan can reset the oil degradation counter (and the service due indicator).

The oil degradation counter is NOT the same thing as the service due indicator (which should also be reset, though it won't do any damage if it isn't).

Here she is.

Attachments

• 20161113_105911.jpg
    20161113_105911.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 14
Back