Technical Help, new to site, egr issue

Currently reading:
Technical Help, new to site, egr issue

Mushsgirl

Hi all, recently bought a 2008 fiat 500 which I adore but after two days of owning her engine management light came on, took it straight back to garage who told me that they pressure wash the engine and that water can get in the egr and cause problems!

Any advice or comments would ad appreciated
Thanks

Probably dpf issues, they suffer with loads of dpf and egr problems. Do you know what fault codes they came up with?

I watched over them as they ran diagnostics the only code that I could see said egr, the car went into limp mode and I left it with them.

Diese??
I know they are a Common problem on the bravos (i should know I have 2.. lol) 30 - 45 minute job and it will be right as rain.. it's all down to the egr being coked up with crap from the exhaust system which stops the internal egr flaps from opening/ working properly..
But it has nothing to do with power washing the engine

I simply don't understand power washing the engine bay, it just causes issues often there's a tray to prevent excessive water being thrown up so blasting water at high pressure is crazy.

:yeahthat:

I've lost count of the number of cars I've seen that have been damaged by overenthusiastic use of a pressure washer. The electronic modules on the 500 even have a "no washing" icon moulded into the plastic covers.

That said, I'd agree with those that are saying this particular issue is likely EGR or DPF related (assuming it's a diesel) and is unlikely to have been caused by pressure washing.

As you've only just bought the car, whatever the problem is, take it back to the dealer and tell them to fix it. If it is EGR/DPF related, it's important to make sure it's been properly fixed, rather than just patched up, or you might have expensive problems once it's out of warranty.

Last edited:
Took it back again, another diagnostic and egr problem again, ordered a new egr and awaiting fitting, should have been ready this morning still waiting as apparently it's a bit of a job! Think I'm being fobbed off somewhere!

Yes it's the diesel multijet. Thanks for all your advice. Feel a bit thick sometimes being female and dealing with a male run garage!

A little knowledge can go a long way, like knowing egr stands for exhaust gas re circulation (valve), if you asked using its full name they will know you've at least been doing some research.

If they're replacing the valve ask for the old one back even if you're just going to bin it, and ask them to show you on the old one where/what the issue was, its your part and most garages will happily return broken parts if requested.

Ask if they are going to do a forced regeneration of the DPF, diesel particulate filter, too, and what the result was IE OK, failed, failed part way through.

Last edited:
Took it back again, another diagnostic and egr problem again, ordered a new egr and awaiting fitting, should have been ready this morning still waiting as apparently it's a bit of a job! Think I'm being fobbed off somewhere!

They are a bit fiddly and messy to change.

If the failed EGR valve has clogged the DPF, and the DPF is not also properly regenerated or replaced, then you may be in for an out-of warranty DPF replacement further on down the line. DPF replacement will likely be a four figure expense, so it may be worth getting your car independently checked once you get it back.

What kind of usage will you be putting your car to? DPF equipped diesels don't take kindly to being just used in the city and need a good run on a regular basis to enable them to regenerate properly.

Last edited:
Thanks for your response, just at the garage now, they said they've Regenerated the dpf is this adequate?

I only do small runs during the week but then motorway runs on the weekend

Thanks again

Thanks for your response, just at the garage now, they said they've Regenerated the dpf is this adequate?

It should clear it for now; unfortunately only time will tell if it's sufficient in the longer term. How much warranty did you get with your car?

I only do small runs during the week but then motorway runs on the weekend

How many miles a year will you be doing?

Last edited:
3 months, enough? Or buy an extended one
Thanks

6 - 8k

If the warning light reappears in the next three months, take it back and insist they either replace the DPF or take back the car.

If you do buy an extended warranty, you need to absolutely certain it will cover DPF replacement - most would likely regard a DPF failure on an 8yr old car as fair wear and tear.

It's probably too late to be saying this now, but on that sort of mileage, you'd have been better advised to buy a petrol car.

From someone who is a diesel owner, a Fiat diesel engine fitted in my Saab 9-3, concerning a forced regeneration should there be DPF issues. Please be advised, if the garage carry out a forced regen, then it is highly advisable that a oil and filter change is carried out immediately afterward as diesel can be dumped into the sump mixing with the engine oil and raising the oil level to over capacity.

I got into the habit long ago of removing my EGR and MAP sensor every six months to carry out cleaning/maintenance. It's an easy diy job on my engine, but I accept that it isn't always the case on lots of engines, especially diesel engines in small vehicles where there may not be much room to work. Also, many owners won't have the mechanical aptitude to do the work and so often have to resort to garages to do the work.

Ideally, diesel engines need lots of good, long extended runs to keep the DPF and EGR/MAP sensor soot free. If you're only ever going to do round town runs, you'll get problems because you won't be doing enough to burn the soot off during an active regeneration. Twenty odd minutes at 2.5k revs on the motorway usually does the job. Also, fuel, I never, ever, use supermarket diesel anymore. I converted to Shell Nitro Diesel over two years ago and it makes a very noticeable difference.

Well the plot thickens, had the egr replaced and dpf reading okay

New issue, wouldn't start today, they came out and used starter pack to start car, went for a drive to charge the battery and all lights on my dash came on, power steering failed and headlights would not work! Car also will not look using remote and is now parked outside my house unable to start ??

Well the plot thickens, had the egr replaced and dpf reading okay

New issue, wouldn't start today, they came out and used starter pack to start car, went for a drive to charge the battery and all lights on my dash came on, power steering failed and headlights would not work! Car also will not look using remote and is now parked outside my house unable to start ??
Did all the dash lights start flashing ?

GET RID OF THE CAR IF IT IS STILL UNDER WARRANTY. My fiat Qubo has been plagued with engine management lights for ages. The diesel multijet engine is notoriously problematic. Just google it and you will see thousands of people with problems and its not just in fiat cars. It's used in several others too. Just to give you some ideas of just how aweful it can be, read my story....

I really wouldn't waste your money! I have a Fiat Qubo. When it had only 5000 miles on the clock it filled the driving cab with fumes. I returned it to a Fiat approved dealer in Plymouth. They "repaired the fault". I then drove to Stoke on Trent. When I got there there was smoke pouring out from under the bonnet. The Fiat dealer had forgotten to put the diesel return hose clips on. The RAC filed a report which I took to the Fiat garage(and my solicitor). NO APOLOGY. Car had to go in for a steam clean and for all the diesel filled foam to be replaced. When I picked it up and drove away there was a rattling noise. I lifted the bonnet only to discover they had left a pipe disconnected! I took it back. NO APOLOGY!

The Fiat has been plagued with "Limp MODE" faults (on average 2 a week ever since it went to the garage). Often stopping in the middle of a busy road for no reason. It would then sometimes drive ok for weeks then fail again. It has made 14 visits to the garage each time they wanted to charge £120 to tell me there was nothing wrong with the car (diagnostics were never conclusive). So the Car is now only 4 years old. Done only 50000 miles. It broke down in August and has been in the Fiat approved Garage since the 24th August. Fiat Technical have been involved since 6th October. Fiat technical kept telling the Garage what to change. ALL OF WHICH DID NOT RESOLVE THE FAULT.

Finally, last week, they traced the fault to the fuel pump. The new pump was ordered and it arrived this week and IT WAS THE WRONG PUMP FOR THE CAR. I am expected to pay for all the time for swapping things that were not faulty. The total bill? £2200. I have complained to Fiat, who don't care. I have been a fiat owner for 20 years. The newer models and in particular the Multijet engines, as not reliable. Google "1.3 multijet engine" for engine management problems. I am not alone. There are thousands of people with issues.

I WILL NEVER EVER BUY ANOTHER FIAT.

I pick up the car Tomorrow 11 weeks after it went into the Garage!!!

Anyone want to buy a heap of scrap metal?

Back