Getting to know our latest family member.

Currently reading:
Getting to know our latest family member.

Sounds like you've experienced it at its best...

While I had a 3 also drove a 1.5 sport 2 fairly extensively. On your own on a clear road they make sense, the controls are generally nicely set up, rowing the gearbox is nice, steering is nice, the slightly firm suspension smoothes out above 50mph and they are an enjoyable drive.

Obviously the flip side is...when you've got a combination of children and grandparents and wife on board on and you need to do some sedate travel somewhere and they think you're hooligan as you're going up at 60 limit hill in 3rd as 4th or 5th would just have it dying on its face and they are being jiggled about by the sports suspension having fallen into the bucket seat on entry and then get blasted with a little bit too much road noise.

I'd still have one...but much as the C3 is a worse car in all top gear road test metrics except outright speed...it's much easier to get on with pottering about. This probably applies to most modern turbos.

Last edited:
Sounds like you've experienced it at its best...

While I had a 3 also drove a 1.5 sport 2 fairly extensively. On your own on a clear road they make sense, the controls are generally nicely set up, rowing the gearbox is nice, steering is nice, the slightly firm suspension smoothes out above 50mph and they are an enjoyable drive.

Obviously the flip side is...when you've got a combination of children and grandparents and wife on board on and you need to do some sedate travel somewhere and they think you're hooligan as you're going up at 60 limit hill in 3rd as 4th or 5th would just have it dying on its face and they are being jiggled about by the sports suspension having fallen into the bucket seat on entry and then get blasted with a little bit too much road noise.

I'd still have one...but much as the C3 is a worse car in all top gear road test metrics except outright speed...it's much easier to get on with pottering about. This probably applies to most modern turbos.
Yes Steven, the ride is hard and with quite a lot of road noise. some of it attributable to the low profile 195/45 R16 tyres I'm sure:

P1100967.JPG

But that's all probably contributing to the "fun" handling. These were "budget" tyres - due to budgetary constraints - and perhaps that doesn't help much either. Mind you this is a car for running the kids to stuff like horse riding, swimming and other activities, going shopping and transport to her work - all of 15 minutes down the road.

Asymetric tread pattern, for our American friend, if he's here?

The tyres maybe but if you look behind the tyre you can see metal work. In a different car you'd see an arch liner possibly with sound proofing behind it.

When we had the Mazda and the C3 back to back despite both running on 205s the road and tyre noise levels between the 2 were very clearly different especially at 70mph.

Slightly niche car in a way...it's an ordinary every day car but sporty despite lack of power. On the right road in the right mood great, but not a car you looked forward to collapsing into after a hard day.

Absolutely respect the way they do things mechanically though and the cars drive well. It was mainly fresh faced late 20s me who would happily drive across the country for fun either alone or with my girlfriend in tow loved it, if it's loud turn the stereo up etc. Mid 30s sleep deprived me with a toddler, mother in law and wife taking up time...didn't really see the benefits so much!

Last edited:
Yes Steven, the ride is hard and with quite a lot of road noise. some of it attributable to the low profile 195/45 R16 tyres I'm sure:

View attachment 426786

But that's all probably contributing to the "fun" handling. These were "budget" tyres - due to budgetary constraints - and perhaps that doesn't help much either. Mind you this is a car for running the kids to stuff like horse riding, swimming and other activities, going shopping and transport to her work - all of 15 minutes down the road.

Asymetric tread pattern, for our American friend, if he's here?
Just remembered, "our American friend"? That's Michaelsfiat

Back