Getting to know our latest family member.

Currently reading:
Getting to know our latest family member.

Dealer say they did the oil. Do I change it? Well stand back one pace and add up the sum of your question and then ask yourself, is this something I need to consider...... I expect they changed the air filter at the same time. I think I would bite the bullet and do it then you know it has proper grade and quality. IF they changed it you cna think of it as a flush!
in fact things have moved on a little over the couple of days I've had it. The dealer told me the engine oil and oil filter had definitely been changed back in March when they bought it. I questioned him quite closely on this as I was interested to find out if any other work had been done - like for instance a service etc. He was very clear that the oil and filter had been done and a safety check on everything else. I was just interested to check the oil condition for my own reassurance and I'm very happy to believe the oil and filter were done as he told me.

However, before I started working on it yesterday I'd made a cup of coffee and taken it out with me. I decided to empty the glovebox and other hidy holes, while my hands were clean, and see if I could find any evidence of a service record. The black binder was in the glovebox with the owner's manual and some other stuff but no service book. I find myself wondering if, in this day and age of computerized records, maybe it didn't have one? I made contact with a local Mazda dealer who was able to tell me there's a complete computer record up till about 3 years ago and my guess is that it left the Mazda dealer network at that time - it moved from somewhere down south up to the Scottish Borders at that time - and has been looked after by a local garage up here who, finding no book, couldn't stamp it? Anyway, I did find an invoice from a Borders garage for replacing the O/S front top strut mount and an MOT on 10/01/23 which is it's latest MOT. So I rang them up, hoping maybe they'd been looking after it. Got a very nice obliging chap on the 'phone who recounted an interesting story. Apparently the car was bought maybe a year before that, by a long time family customer - wealthy local family - for their daughter. He looks after all their vehicles but the daughter seems to have moved away soon after, going to live in a city he thinks, and didn't take the car with her which had been pretty much unused so they decided to sell it. He recons it would have probably been due a service at the time it came in for it's MOT as that was about a year since they bought it but all they wanted was the MOT and they agreed to the top mount as it was creaking badly. Turns out he knows the chap we bought the car from and he rates him as a "canny lad". "he'll not sell a bad car" he said.

So that would explain why the air filter looked a bit sorry for itself - wasn't absolutely "awful" though. However I do take on board what you say about oil quality. The wee garage we bought the car from has no mechanical workshop facilities yet - the building is still under construction - so all his mechanical repairs are done by one of the local garage workshops. I might try to find out who and give them a ring to inquire about what oil they might have used. If I don't get cooperation from him or the garage workshop I'll probably just do it. Fingers crossed the drain plug's not got damaged threads - What was it Cheest said? "Oh well, while I'm in here I'll just" and then wish you hadn't!

Oh, and noticed the fan (aux) belt is in excellent condition, can't be any more than about a year old. Another wee bit of evidence that someone has been giving it a bit of love?

in fact things have moved on a little over the couple of days I've had it. The dealer told me the engine oil and oil filter had definitely been changed back in March when they bought it. I questioned him quite closely on this as I was interested to find out if any other work had been done - like for instance a service etc. He was very clear that the oil and filter had been done and a safety check on everything else. I was just interested to check the oil condition for my own reassurance and I'm very happy to believe the oil and filter were done as he told me.

However, before I started working on it yesterday I'd made a cup of coffee and taken it out with me. I decided to empty the glovebox and other hidy holes, while my hands were clean, and see if I could find any evidence of a service record. The black binder was in the glovebox with the owner's manual and some other stuff but no service book. I find myself wondering if, in this day and age of computerized records, maybe it didn't have one? I made contact with a local Mazda dealer who was able to tell me there's a complete computer record up till about 3 years ago and my guess is that it left the Mazda dealer network at that time - it moved from somewhere down south up to the Scottish Borders at that time - and has been looked after by a local garage up here who, finding no book, couldn't stamp it? Anyway, I did find an invoice from a Borders garage for replacing the O/S front top strut mount and an MOT on 10/01/23 which is it's latest MOT. So I rang them up, hoping maybe they'd been looking after it. Got a very nice obliging chap on the 'phone who recounted an interesting story. Apparently the car was bought maybe a year before that, by a long time family customer - wealthy local family - for their daughter. He looks after all their vehicles but the daughter seems to have moved away soon after, going to live in a city he thinks, and didn't take the car with her which had been pretty much unused so they decided to sell it. He recons it would have probably been due a service at the time it came in for it's MOT as that was about a year since they bought it but all they wanted was the MOT and they agreed to the top mount as it was creaking badly. Turns out he knows the chap we bought the car from and he rates him as a "canny lad". "he'll not sell a bad car" he said.

So that would explain why the air filter looked a bit sorry for itself - wasn't absolutely "awful" though. However I do take on board what you say about oil quality. The wee garage we bought the car from has no mechanical workshop facilities yet - the building is still under construction - so all his mechanical repairs are done by one of the local garage workshops. I might try to find out who and give them a ring to inquire about what oil they might have used. If I don't get cooperation from him or the garage workshop I'll probably just do it. Fingers crossed the drain plug's not got damaged threads - What was it Cheest said? "Oh well, while I'm in here I'll just" and then wish you hadn't!

Oh, and noticed the fan (aux) belt is in excellent condition, can't be any more than about a year old. Another wee bit of evidence that someone has been giving it a bit of love?
Well you landed lucky with the car and the info by the sounds of it! Its good nearing in mind myrrh is cheaper these days than oil!

so probably best that this 2 has rear drums.

Parts were always a bit expensive, especially on the occasions when the only sensible option was genuine Mazda spares from Japan. Lucky then that not much needed replacing, and sounds like you have a good local source.

And funnily enough, my old man used to press the window switches in the wrong order and get himself in a pickle, some locked, some opening fully instead of part-way. I used to have to reset them for him every now and again, something about holding all switches down that I can't remember now...
Yup, I'm a big fan of drums for rear brakes. You don't get the same rust problems because everything is enclosed. the handbrake action is usually better and it's a lot cheaper, when you're doing your own labour, to replace a wheel cylinder than an entire caliper.

I'm expecting genuine parts to be expensive - The Honda was like that - but there's a lot of stuff now available through the Factors or people like Big Red to keep costs down. Yes, I count myself lucky to have such a good relationship with SRS. I think they find it quite amusing when this "old knackered geyser" - me - comes in buying parts mostly bought by much younger and fitter lads. Perhaps they think of it as a bit of a "mission" to keep the "old boy" going?

Powered windows can require some quite interesting procedures to reinitialize full operation if you disconnect the battery - Ignition switch on, left index finger in right ear, clutch 3/4 depressed, sit on right hand and operate window lift switch - No, must have got that wrong, haven't now got a hand free to operate the switch!

Well you landed lucky with the car and the info by the sounds of it! Its good nearing in mind myrrh is cheaper these days than oil!
Would still be quite interesting to know exactly what they put in it. However i think most "proper" workshops are now a days very well aware of the need to use oils which meet the specs for the engine. The days of great big drums of generic engine oil are well and truely dead. The factor seems to only now stock 5 litre containers, mine has a massive range on racking stretching right along one wall. I notice too that there are always quite a few 5 litre containers around in garage workshops when I call by to speak with friends. The only thing is, I suppose, they probably aren't going to be Mobil1 or Castrol. More likely to be Comma, Napa, Granville or similar but I'm ok with that unless it's a turbo engine in which case I like something a wee bit "special" in it.

I was just reflecting on how much I like the design of the Mazda's calipers:

P1100959.JPG

A removable caliper carrier so you can easily deal with problems, or even renew if something horrendously goes wrong. The slider pins are integral with the caliper carrier so, again easy to source either generic parts or used spares. and it's so easy when it comes to pad replacement.

Compared to Becky's:

P1070285.JPG

Where the single top slider pin is invariably, in my experience, seized solid in the carrier and that wee bottom pin, even if the "R" clip isn't seized in, is often itself seized into the small diameter holes in the carrier. So, what do you do, take a hammer and punch to it - cringe - and soon after you break off the wee lug the pin goes through.

Only slightly better is the design on my Ibiza where the sliders screw directly into the hub itself:

P1100359.JPG

You can see on the left where the bleed nipple is? just below it is the rubber guide where the slider pin locates (there's another one but it's out of the picture) and on the right is the hub/upright assembly and you can see the two threaded bosses where the slider pins screw in. Trouble with this setup is what do you do if a thread gets damaged. This did happen on mine and if you look at the bottom boss you can see an insert has been installed to mend it. Easier and simpler if the carrier just unbolted? In fact the Ibiza pads both have integral anti rattle springs which make it very difficult to line up the slider pins when refitting the caliper and greatly increases the possibility of a cross threading incident. I found mine was damaged the first time I dismantled it when she was out of warranty, Wee hairy bits of metal came out with it as I unscrewed it. I don't think the garage would have had the calipers off during the warranty period so I believe this pin was cross threaded in the factory.

So well done Mazda for using my favourite design of caliper! Oh, just remembered the interesting calipers on Felicity - MK1 Panda in my avatar picture - which had metal wedges top and bottom which needed regular dismantling, cleaning, lubricating and reassembling to stop them binding, No threaded parts thought, just a couple of spring clips and a hammer and screwdriver to drift the wedges out

Powered windows can require some quite interesting procedures to reinitialize full operation if you disconnect the battery - Ignition switch on, left index finger in right ear, clutch 3/4 depressed, sit on right hand and operate window lift switch - No, must have got that wrong, haven't now got a hand free to operate the switch!

Think you'll find it has literally none of that.

Earlier Ford era Mazdas had things like global closing and one touch on all windows. But following the split with Ford they switched to a different BCM (about 2010).

As a result you'll probably find the car has no one touch windows except down on the drivers side but not up. Simple reason for that being one touch up on any window requires pressure sensors so this was the easy/cheaper way of doing it with no sensors. Believe they are direct wired hence the lock killing all the switches not just rear ones, this means nothing to set up/reset as there's no sensors involved

Think you'll find it has literally none of that.

Earlier Ford era Mazdas had things like global closing and one touch on all windows. But following the split with Ford they switched to a different BCM (about 2010).

As a result you'll probably find the car has no one touch windows except down on the drivers side but not up. Simple reason for that being one touch up on any window requires pressure sensors so this was the easy/cheaper way of doing it with no sensors. Believe they are direct wired hence the lock killing all the switches not just rear ones, this means nothing to set up/reset as there's no sensors involved
Thank goodness for that!

The kill switch affects both rear windows and the front passenger window. I wouldn't like to bet my life on it because I wasn't really paying it much attention but I think the driver's side does have one touch down and up? I'll need to recheck to be sure but I always wind the driver's window down before working on any vehicle just in case I lock the keys inside and I seem to remember it went "one touch up" when I was finishing up at the end of the day. I did operate the passenger front window but can't remember if it was one touch or not. Rears are definitely not. Main thing is they are all working and going down and up so who cares if they are one touch or not, it's happy days.

My 3 only had it on down...it used to drive me to distraction at the barriers at work.

You'd click it to wind down...then do the same to put it up...and it'd move an inch then you'd remember.

Or I might be thinking of the swift...it was er electrically similar. To the point if someone was messing with a window i'd kill it half way and ask "what did you do????". Obviously on a normal car it would usually complete last commanded action..

My 3 only had it on down...it used to drive me to distraction at the barriers at work.

You'd click it to wind down...then do the same to put it up...and it'd move an inch then you'd remember.

Or I might be thinking of the swift...it was er electrically similar. To the point if someone was messing with a window i'd kill it half way and ask "what did you do????". Obviously on a normal car it would usually complete last commanded action..
Oh deary me, how "sad" am I? I've just been out in the pouring rain to try those windows! both rears and passenger front are "dumb", just go up and down when you work the switch in the door. The driver's door does one tough down and up. The kill switch affects both rear windows and the passenger front. My guess then is that the 3 "dumb" windows are just switched but the driver's runs through an ECU which controls that feature and probably accepts input from load sensors of some sort too - didn't stick my finger in it to find out though.

Oh deary me, how "sad" am I? I've just been out in the pouring rain to try those windows! both rears and passenger front are "dumb", just go up and down when you work the switch in the door. The driver's door does one tough down and up. The kill switch affects both rear windows and the passenger front. My guess then is that the 3 "dumb" windows are just switched but the driver's runs through an ECU which controls that feature and probably accepts input from load sensors of some sort too - didn't stick my finger in it to find out though.

I'm thinking I was thinking of the Swift re. One touch in one direction only. To be fair I sold the car in October 2021 so remembering precisely how it worked may escape me. I think there's a loop hole that means you can have no antipinch if you're sitting next to the window. It's mainly for if you pull a rear from the front on one touch and a passenger decides to stick their head out.

What you've said makes sense, I think the two things I figured went via the BCM were the power mirrors and the drivers electric window (and the interior light..). Both the drivers side window and the power mirrors/folding can be operated for 60 seconds after switching the engine off. Which is great if you've had all 4 down...knock it off pull the switches and only 1 comes up to mock you for your error.

Thought I'd finished with the Mazda yesterday but then I remembered I was going to make a hold down screw for the spare wheel. You'll maybe remember the car had no spare when she bought it back in March, it just had a bottle of gunge and an electric pump kit:

P1100976.JPG

So I ordered one from a supplier in the midlands who deals in used, but good ones from cars which have been written off or scrapped. There was some confusion over the size and the supplier sent a 16" rim which didn't fit in the well. They were very good about it and immediately sent out a 15" replacement. Apparently they went to a 16" wheel at the model change in late 2014 and ours is a 2014 car but pre-facelift. Anyway we got the right one in the end. I opted for the kit which includes a generic jack and wheel brace with some trepidation as I didn't know what sort of quality it would be or whether the jack would properly fit the jacking points on the car. What arrived, in the same package as the wheel, was this:

P1100982.JPG

and quite honestly it's probably as good as you could expect for the money. I've tried it out and it works just fine.

What was with the car when bought, in addition to the "gunge" pack, was the wheel nut tool and tow adapter you can see here:

P1100983.JPG

I looked out a length of suitable tubing to extend the tool so it would be more effective on tight nuts or for someone of less than average strength see here:

P1100984.JPG

It's well worth carrying around a length of tubing if you have this type of wheel nut tool. But don't use the extension when tightening or you'll likely strip a thread or snap a stud

What I didn't do was order the restraining screw which screws into the threaded hole in the boot floor, reasoning that i could surely do that myself and save the £12/£15 quid they were asking. Please don't ever drive around with an unrestrained spare wheel in the car. A spare wheel is heavy and can be lethal if it gets loose in an accident.

So out I went and opened the boot:

P1100980.JPG

Spacesaver snuggled in very nicely with the threaded hole clearly visible in the middle:

P1100981.JPG

Looks like an M10 size? So out comes one of my many boxes of nuts and bolts, there we go, that's an M10, lets try it in the hole to check the thread. But oh dear, it only goes in about half a turn before it tightens up. Take it out and check both male and female threads, all Ok. So concentrate closely on the threads and immediately it can be seen that the thread in the hole is noticeably finer than the bolt - diameter is correct though. So what's going on? Try another bolt just in case, this time a brand new one. Still doesn't fit. Could it possibly be that it's not metric? Nah, no chance. Then I suddenly remembered that I've run into "metric fine" threads before. They're not common but do exist. could this be one? But I don't think I have an M10 fine threaded bolt. However I never throw away any usable nuts, bolts, washers, set screws, washers, spacers, etc, etc. Here's just a small selection of boxes containing my hoard:

P1100975.JPG

About ten minutes later, with fixings spread all over the floor, I find this:

P1100974.JPG

It's one of the used stretch bolts from when the timing belt was done on the Ibiza. Been used and stretched so can't be torqued again but very usable for this purpose and it fits the thread perfectly. Checked it with my thread restoring file and it's 1.25mm pitch The standard 10mm bolt is 1.50mm. You can clearly see the difference here:

P1100973.JPG

Now I need a suitable washer to restrain the wheel and so out comes one of the containers with washers in it:

P1100996.JPG

And here we are, just the very thing:

P1100995.JPG

It's part of a shock absorber kit from my old Renault 20. The new parts were fitted to the vehicle but I kept the old bits and pieces and it really paid off now, maybe 30/40 years later!

Looked out a piece of one inch by eighth inch flatstock (steel strip) and cut off about two inches of it. Cut the bolt to length and slotted the end of it with my angle grinder and a cut off disc. By the way, Thank you George for not bothering to tell me you broke the mains plug on my angle grinder when I lent it to you recently:

P1100985.JPG

Against my better instincts I lent it to him so he could cut off the bolts, which had rusted horribly, which were holding his garden gate to the house wall (Rawl bolts) I keep on saying to myself "don't lend tools" but somehow I don't always follow my own advice. At least it's only a plug - and I'm going to replace it with a rubber one!

Then a bit of hacksawing and filing to get the flatstock looking good - rounding the corners and deburring - and it's out with my very old but trusty stick welder:

P1100987.JPG

I would have reached for my MIG but I handed back my rental cylinder to BOC a few years ago due to the cost of rental. When I was running my community education welding classes I could justify the expense but it all gets a bit "silly" keeping it so you can do just a few jobs a year. If I get a big job on the go I'm going to get one of the rent free cylinders that SRS supply. In the meantime I'm managing with my good old MMA machine. I'll add a bit on at the end about it just for info, but on with the main subject now.

The flatstock is located in the small slot I ground in the end of the stud and locked up with a hand vice while I welded it to the stud. I must say I made a strong but not "pretty" job of it so had to do a bit of grinding to get it looking acceptable, I'm out of practice with the "stick welder these days, however after I derusted the washer and painted them with Lidl's best red paint it all turned out looking pretty good - Or I think so anyway!

P1100993.JPG

And here it is doing it's job of restraining that space saver:

P1100994.JPG

The nut is doing nothing except acting as a spacer - because the washer isn't flat.

So that's really everything done that I set out to do while they are away. I did a last levels etc check under the bonnet and noticed that the thread protecting plastic cap is missing from the O/S strut top mount:

P1100990.JPG

The one on the N/S is still there. This ties in with the MOT invoice I found which details the O/S top mount was changed last year due to it "groaning". I took the N/S plastic cap off into the workshop to look through my tin of plastic bits and pieces for a similar one to put on the O/S, but didn't have anything suitable so I painted some Copa slip on both sides to give some protection (yes I know, Me and copa slip, what am I like?) I was looking more closely at the cap on the N/S one:

P1100992.JPG

and noticed it's slotted down it's sides. Not a very good design for keeping the moisture out?

One last observation. If you've been following this thread you'll know that the hubs were quite rusted under the discs. In fact, after I'd removed the caliper carriers, I couldn't get the disc off the hub - on either side, N/S being the worst. I don't like smashing ten shades of **** out of a siezed disc with a big hammer. Yes it usually shifts the disc, but I worry that the shock of hitting it very hard with the likes of a 2lb hammer might cause damage to the bearings. I was delighted to find that these discs had tapped holes which you could insert a suitable bolt into and jack the disc off:

P1100989.JPG

In fact the O/S one freed up completely with this technique and could then be pulled off by hand but the N/S needed a wee bit of extra help with a hide faced Thor. I think all manufacturers could take a leaf out of Mazda's book on this one.

Oh, just remembered i was going to say something about MMA (stick) welders? They can be bought so cheaply these days there's really no excuse not to own one. It does take a lot of practice to acquire the skill to use one really competently on safety critical repairs (perhaps suspension etc) but you can quickly learn how to do rough jobs satisfactorily and you can always grind away the excess! Most people don't find it easy to teach themselves from a standing start but a few evening classes soon sorts that and once you have the basics under your belt it's just a case of practice makes perfect.

You'll find there are always machines at autojumbles because people buy them, don't take any instruction and find it more difficult than they thought so give up. If you buy one second hand then be aware these machines are operating at pretty much the limits of what you can pull out of a 13 amp socket so good connections and mains supply is paramount. If you look at my picture you'll see a white extension lead:

P1100987.JPG

It's 2.5 cable and a shade over 20 ft long. The machine has about another 5 ft of cable attached and I find it's about as long as you can go before voltage drop starts to become a problem. You are not going to hitch one of these up to your lawnmower extension lead, take the machine to the bottom of the garden and weld repairs to your angle iron fencing! My machine is rated tops at 140 amps and it claims it can weld with 3.2 mm rods. Yes it will but only without any extension lead - so machine's existing wire only - and it'll only do it for a very short duration before it overheats and the safety cuts it out. Then you may be waiting for 20 minutes or so - depends how cold the weather is - before you can do a wee bit more. Better to use 2.5mm rods which you'll find rarely make a machine of this capacity to cut out. Also I'd avoid very low powered machines - 90 amps? - as they swill cut out much sooner even with the smaller rods. You cam buy 1.6mm rods and many do thinking they will generate less welding heat at the arc and so they'll be able to weld car bodywork. Well, I'm not saying you can't but you need to be very skilled indeed to do this with a stick welder. If you want to do this just buy a MIG. Lot more expensive of course, both to buy and to keep running with consumables. If you buy a used machine then take the top cover off and check where the transformer windings are bolted to the output terminals. Better quality machines will have copper windings whilst cheaper ones are often aluminium. I prefer the copper wound machines for a number of reasons, but they are not so common if you're looking for a cheap machine. Nothing wrong with the aluminium ones, mine is aluminium, BUT, they tend to corrode with that white powder corrosion where the windings bolt to the terminals inside the casing. It's pretty easy to just undo the bolted together terminal and clean up where they meet. The improvement, especially when trying to strike an arc, is remarkable. I've also modified mine by installing a "flat" fan (like a computer fan) inside the back of the casing and blocking off the cooling louvres at the sides of the machine so that air is drawn in at the front and over the transformer exiting at the back. I can now weld for ages without it ever cutting out.

Build yourself a wee wheeled transport dolly as a project and make it so the machine can be stored on it's end and you'll find you can tuck it away in the smallest of spaces:

P1100988.JPG

So there we are. Think I'm done with my new little friend, for now anyway, and hope you enjoyed the wee exhortation for you all to get into welding - it's amazingly good fun once you've got the knack but can be very frustrating if you don't properly know how to set your machine up and strike an arc at will. Instruction will help greatly with this and also, hopefully, stop you setting fire to your house, shed, car, or whatever - you need to be very aware of fire risk, but it's all common sense really.

Attachments

• P1100991.JPG
    P1100991.JPG
    564.7 KB · Views: 31
  • P1100988.JPG
    P1100988.JPG
    778.4 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
One last wee footnote. The paint on the retaining screw I made was still very slightly soft last night so i didn't put the tools back in the boot. So, first thing today, after breakfast, I was out there putting all the tools, shopping bags, kid's wellies, etc back in. There was a towel in the boot so I used that to stop the tools rattling by putting it inside the spare wheel first and then piling the tools on top:

P1100997.JPG

There's quite a substantial boot floor which goes on top of this which should stop them flying around in all but the most severe situations.

As I was doing this I noticed a removable cover on the right of the boot space:

P1100998.JPG

Probably access to lights etc? I thought but when I removed it there's some bracketry in there:

P1100999.JPG

I think this must be for the manufacturer's jack, wheel brace, etc - wonder if the generic jack will fit? Unfortunately no. What a nice way to store the jack though.

Such a pity and what a waste that they then choose to supply us with a bottle of gunge and a pump instead!

Last edited:
My 3 had this, and yes indeed jack bolted to the car with wheel brace attached on the left side (this appears to be right) but nice way of squaring off the space and filling the awkward void caused the wheel arch intrusion.

Used to keep my jump leads in it as well as a little "FFS well this hasn't gone to plan" box.

Was space on the opposite side big enough for a pump and gauge but without a door.

Last edited:
Yup, I'm a big fan of drums for rear brakes. You don't get the same rust problems because everything is enclosed. the handbrake action is usually better and it's a lot cheaper, when you're doing your own labour, to replace a wheel cylinder than an entire caliper.
I've always preferred disc handbrakes on the rear, much less problematic,and no silly adjusters sticking after a few months.
Modern ones sem better, the springs dont need the same degree of swearing to refit them.

I've always preferred disc handbrakes on the rear, much less problematic,and no silly adjusters sticking after a few months.
Modern ones sem better, the springs dont need the same degree of swearing to refit them.
I suppose my opinion is coloured because my introduction to disc rear brakes was on my boy's old Fabia where they would seize up at the slightest excuse. They were well known for it and the recommended fix was to fit new calipers. I spent hours dismantling and freeing them up only for them to be partially seized again a few weeks later. Then someone, genuinely can't remember who, but most likely someone at AVW, told me you could incorporate the return springs fitted as standard to the Sharan/Galaxy/Alhambra. I bought a set, they fitted externally and roughly doubled the return force and the problem was solved. Wasted many hours getting there though.

However I find rear discs rotors often get condemned long before they have actually worn out because they have rusted long before they should and that annoys me.

I've had considerable success with the screw thread type drum adjusters by lightly oiling them with a fairly thin oil but I'll give you that drum self adjusters are a bit of an achilles heel - probably cheaper to sort though if you're not paying labour?

Another random thought for the evening (as these things are no longer in the forefront of my thoughts they tend to present themselves at random).

If the 2 follows a similar schedule to the 3 gearbox oil should have been done at first set of spark plugs (year 6 service at a main agent is a doozy given everything lines up).

Brake fluid is on a 2 year interval, as is air filter and cabin filter, spark plugs are 6 years as is gearbox oil. So it doesn't take a mathematician to work out it's all due at year 6. If it was in the main dealer network and had full year 6 carried out at 6 years old it may well have all been done..and plugs would be due in 2026 on time if not miles.

Short version...it might be due gearbox oil if the plugs haven't been done as that suggests it skipped the expensive major service.

Last edited:
Another random thought for the evening (as these things are no longer in the forefront of my thoughts they tend to present themselves at random).

If the 2 follows a similar schedule to the 3 gearbox oil should have been done at first set of spark plugs (year 6 service at a main agent is a doozy given everything lines up).

Brake fluid is on a 2 year interval, as is air filter and cabin filter, spark plugs are 6 years as is gearbox oil. So it doesn't take a mathematician to work out it's all due at year 6. If it was in the main dealer network and had full year 6 carried out at 6 years old it may well have all been done..and plugs would be due in 2026 on time if not miles.

Short version...it might be due gearbox oil if the plugs haven't been done as that suggests it skipped the expensive major service.
That makes a lot of sense Steven. I'll get back in touch with the Mazda dealer who was so helpful and ask if they'll check to see if there's any record. From what I was told I think it would have still been in the Mazda network at 6 years, I was left with the impression it's been the last 3 years where little has been recorded. Anyway, if I can't get definite confirmation then changing the gearbox oil will be no hardship and I need to "grip the nettle" and at least pull the plugs for a look see as a minimum intervention. With the old "copper core" plugs I would just renew them without thinking about it, but I think these are Iridium? and they ain't cheap: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/31371675...6&customid=AqqxLQ4YAAAA85mPZn9NpS4vMksPAAAAAA

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
That makes a lot of sense Steven. I'll get back in touch with the Mazda dealer who was so helpful and ask if they'll check to see if there's any record. From what I was told I think it would have still been in the Mazda network at 6 years, I was left with the impression it's been the last 3 years where little has been recorded. Anyway, if I can't get definite confirmation then changing the gearbox oil will be no hardship and I need to "grip the nettle" and at least pull the plugs for a look see as a minimum intervention. With the old "copper core" plugs I would just renew them without thinking about it, but I think these are Iridium? and they ain't cheap: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/31371675...6&customid=AqqxLQ4YAAAA85mPZn9NpS4vMksPAAAAAA
I may have dug this out as couldn't quite remember.

In Europe it appears gearbox oil was every 112500 miles regardless of years. Outside of Europe it's every 5 years or 62k.

3 year air filter is a surprise to me (3 was definitely 2) but may explain the colour of yours.

Also coolant interval suggests it should have FL22, so in theory if all is well you should have dark green coolant and the bottle will have FL22 written on it somewhere. Oat cars were a 4 year interval but the good stuff 10 years...then 5 for the second fill.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.

In Europe it appears gearbox oil was every 112500 miles regardless of years. Outside of Europe it's every 5 years or 62k.

3 year air filter is a surprise to me (3 was definitely 2) but may explain the colour of yours.

Also coolant interval suggests it should have FL22, so in theory if all is well you should have dark green coolant and the bottle will have FL22 written on it somewhere. Oat cars were a 4 year interval but the good stuff 10 years...then 5 for the second fill.
So nowhere near the mileage for gearbox oil yet, even by European recommendation, but probably should be done on age. Air filter was a bit dirty, but I've seen far worse. It was the cabin filter which was really filthy - might not ever have been changed? I was pleased to see the coolant level is bang on but did notice it's a very dark colour, Yes, I think it was green, must have a closer look in the morning. I'm putting the car on an overnight charge on the Ctek tomorrow night and taking it back out to their house either Wednesday or Thursday.

When I checked the battery the other day it was showing 12.1 volts. but the car had sat for a number of days outside their house without being used prior to that and then it's been sitting outside mine without going anywhere either as i was working on it. Anyway, decided to stick it on the Ctek for a while to give it a good boost. It was on for well over half a day and it was showing a green light (fully charged) when I checked it late last night so I took it off charge. Today, after I'd run Mrs J up to the eye pavilion, so about 10 am, I checked it again with my multimeter, so it's been off charge for roughly 12 hours, and it's now showing 12.33 volts. The label on the side of the battery is a little difficult to see but with a mirror you can see most of it. Surprise! Toyota, written in big letters on it's side with Distributed by Toyota europe and NOVEMBER '18. so looks like a replacement battery fitted some time post November '18. So the original only lasted 4 years? On the positive side I've never seen a TOYOTA branded battery for sale outside a Toyota garage and as Mazda and Toyota are both Japanese maybe this battery being fitted would indicate that it's probably still been in the main dealer network at that time? Which seems to fit with the service record info the Mazda dealer gave me which states that the car was withing the main dealer network until about 3 years ago - all very reassuring stuff. However a full charge voltage standing at 12.33 is not great. I'll be monitoring this battery closely over the next few months, Think it'll be fine in the warm summer months but maybe it'll need a new one by the autumn to deal with winter starts?

Green coolant Steven? I just went out and stuck my cree light down the back of the reservoir:

P1110002.JPG

Lovely jubbly, but it would be even better if it had a sticker on it to confirm. Unfortunately no sticker on the bottle. Oh, but hang on, there it is, along with all the warnings not to slacken the pressure cap when it's hot is, written in black at the bottom:

P1110003.JPG

Jolly good, it's definitely FL22 then. and thank you Steven, I've never seen a coolant specified FL22 before. In fact I've not come across green coolant since the old days with the Austin/Morris/BMC stuff! First reg 2014 so coolant due for a change next year? Is it available in factors etc, or do you think I'll have to source from the main dealer?

Edit. Oh but hang on, I seem to remember the genuine Honda coolant I bought for topping up her Jazz, was green, in fact I'm sure it was. Everything else I've done lately has been either orange or purple/violet

Back