Technical Euro6 1.2 Throttle Response, Hill Start Issues & Watchdog report

Currently reading:
Technical Euro6 1.2 Throttle Response, Hill Start Issues & Watchdog report

ab4444 - Well done, I'm really pleased that you're finally sorted. Very impressive resilience I must say.

I'm still in contact with the Dealer and FCS. The dealer is still being very reasonable and unlike you, I have no real issues with them. Obviously my circumstances are different given my 1.2 Pop is my 2nd car. However, I spoke with CS again today and was told that Fiat Italy are aware of the problem and are working on a fix.

I know we've heard this before somewhere eh?

The CS guy tried to explain that the issue was a "Characteristic" So I explained that a characteristic is something that happens all the time. A FAULT is usually something that occurs ad hoc.

Anyway, clearly everyone knows my car is a Panda 1.2 E6 with ESC and Fiat CS have confirmed that Italy are working on a fix.

Hope this helps?

Well done again ab4444.

Guess who has had three missed calls from Fiat UK today???

Yep. They left a message this morning asking me to phone them and let them know if I'm happy with my new car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Considering I still have I think 19-20 un-returned phone-calls placed with them I have been left somewhat stunned that they are so keen to speak to me.

Let's just say I'm not in a rush!

Congratulations as a result of you perseverance(y) I hope all goes well with the new car.

Just thinking out loud: Maybe you should change your title from ab4444 and use Rottweiler from now on:devil::worship:

Last edited:
Congratulations as a result of you perseverance(y) I hope all goes well with the new car.

Just thinking out loud: Maybe you should change your title from ab4444 and use Rottweiler from now on:devil::worship:

Hi All

The Rottweiler returns! No, seriously - I thought I should pop on and say hello and find out what's been happening. And it doesn't seem like a lot really. Are people still having problems? Are you fighting your corners?

The update I wanted to share was that the lady who was calling me the week after I collected my car turned out to be working for the directors team. I know! I couldn't believe it. My complaint had filtered up to their offices because it was so serious.

As soon as I knew that I had the directors ears, I took the opportunity of writing them a report on my experiences over the past 9 months. It was 19 pages long and wasn't pretty reading. Needless to say, I got a phone call within a week of sending it and they wanted to confirm that an Area Manager would be tasked with straightening out any dealerships who weren't performing correctly. They also promised me their 3 year service plan free of charge by way of an apology.

And today, I was reduced to tears by Fiat once more. This time, however, the tears were for a very different reason; I received a hamper from Tuscany, Italy, packed full of yummy authentic organic Italian goodies as a gift from Fiat. I was stunned. I rang the directors team straight away and they said that they were so sorry for everything I had gone through and were incredibly grateful for taking the time to re-trace every awful step in my journey with them. They've assured me they're taking heed of my comments - and hopefully, this may translate into improvements and changes in attitude.

And I hope this is true. I really hope that others that are still going through their nightmares are getting somewhere. This thread seems to have gone quiet since my last appearance and it would be good to hear how you're all getting on.

Last edited:
Mine is cured and running great, it's also in touch and go whether it gets traded in on a Vauxhall Corsa, kind of funny the timing.

I just hope what they've said is true and not just more BS, they've been going about things the wrong way for far too long now, even before the whole 500 issues fiasco.

I've still not forgiven Fiat UK or Desira Fiat Norwich for their attitude and the way they treated me 2 years ago. On the contrary had to pop into local Toyota dealer yesterday to ask a favour and they couldn't bend over backwards enough for me even though they knew there was no money in it for them. Just the satisfaction of providing great customer service. Something Fiat UK and their main dealers seem to struggle massively with.

Hi All

The Rottweiler returns! No, seriously - I thought I should pop on and say hello and find out what's been happening. And it doesn't seem like a lot really. Are people still having problems? Are you fighting your corners?

The update I wanted to share was that the lady who was calling me the week after I collected my car turned out to be working for the directors team. I know! I couldn't believe it. My complaint had filtered up to their offices because it was so serious.

As soon as I knew that I had the directors ears, I took the opportunity of writing them a report on my experiences over the past 9 months. It was 19 pages long and wasn't pretty reading. Needless to say, I got a phone call within a week of sending it and they wanted to confirm that an Area Manager would be tasked with straightening out any dealerships who weren't performing correctly. They also promised me their 3 year service plan free of charge by way of an apology.

And today, I was reduced to tears by Fiat once more. This time, however, the tears were for a very different reason; I received a hamper from Tuscany, Italy, packed full of yummy authentic organic Italian goodies as a gift from Fiat. I was stunned. I rang the directors team straight away and they said that they were so sorry for everything I had gone through and were incredibly grateful for taking the time to re-trace every awful step in my journey with them. They've assured me they're taking heed of my comments - and hopefully, this may translate into improvements and changes in attitude.

And I hope this is true. I really hope that others that are still going through their nightmares are getting somewhere. This thread seems to have gone quiet since my last appearance and it would be good to hear how you're all getting on.
Well done(y)

Some good news! It sounds like a long and difficult journey for some.

Taking account of the problems with the 1.2 engine I tested a 500 and a Panda before I bought my own 500. All three cars must have the improved Euro 6 tune as all three felt fine on the steepest hills here in West Cumbria. Of course it won't be winning any drag races but at least it won't be stuck on the starting line.

Had the update a few weeks ago and the difference is amazing. Also had a good experience with customer services.

Have they considered some introspection within FIAT UK themselves?

With the euro 6 engine tune does anyone know where it differs from euro 5 as the emissions must be the same as the tax hasn't changed, the fuel economy hasn't had a change of official figures so what is the change.
I can tell the difference in the power, but if they change the software to run different to be more energy efficient to meet euro 6 standards then why don't we see a return in higher mpg or lower tax band. Just curious as to what all the euro 6 fuss is about??

Last edited:
With the euro 6 engine tune does anyone know where it differs from euro 5 as the emissions must be the same as the tax hasn't changed, the fuel economy hasn't had a change of official figures so what is the change.
I can tell the difference in the power, but if they change the software to run different to be more energy efficient to meet euro 6 standards then why don't we see a return in higher mpg or lower tax band. Just curious as to what all the euro 6 fuss is about??

From a guess, particulates/NOx/CO/HC emissions. Basically anything that isn't CO2.

From a guess, particulates/NOx/CO/HC emissions. Basically anything that isn't CO2.

Argh ok, every other gas but those that affect tax or mpg. Got to say though it does seem a little more efficient with mpg, but then again it could be the new Eco index on the digital display making me aware of my driving style

So is this issue sorted?
No way ! For us the software update still made a hill start nigh impossible. Bit the bullet and flogged. Now have a ds3. Different class of drive than overpriced 500 rubbish. Above all the level of 'service' we had from Fiat UK and Fiat Italy way way worse than abysmal. Glad to see our case officer kay seaton now appears to be ex employee.

No,not really fixed after update,revs still surge when setting off.Not tried on hills as it may finish the clutch off.Just waiting to get some equity in the car as its lost around £6K in less than 2 years and will get rid.Ordered a Q3 last week so cant be bothered with the 500 anymore.Wont be buying a FIAT again.

No way ! For us the software update still made a hill start nigh impossible. Bit the bullet and flogged. Now have a ds3. Different class of drive than overpriced 500 rubbish. Above all the level of 'service' we had from Fiat UK and Fiat Italy way way worse than abysmal. Glad to see our case officer kay seaton now appears to be ex employee.

Sad to see people still haven't got things fully resolved and in some cases have just given up & got rid.

Re the bit in bold, where did you find this out? We've had hell with my Sisters Alfa MiTo, not helped at all by this particular woman who basically tried to make us feel grateful that our brand new £16500 car had a warranty, never mind we'd had to use it at least 6 times in as many months & faults were (and still are) occurring monthly!

No,not really fixed after update,revs still surge when setting off.Not tried on hills as it may finish the clutch off.Just waiting to get some equity in the car as its lost around £6K in less than 2 years and will get rid.Ordered a Q3 last week so cant be bothered with the 500 anymore.Wont be buying a FIAT again.

A shame, but understandable.

By contrast, our 1.2 Euro 4 Panda cost us not much more than £6k new five years ago and has now covered 60,000 miles without issues.

Personally I would not buy a Euro 6 1.2 Fiat at any price.

We had a new Seicento for 6 years that cost £5K and only required a piece of exhaust,a battery and 2 front tyres over 65,000 miles.Thats why we got a 500 which was fine,and now got another thats c### and lost a lot of money.

Back