General Ducato immobiliser

Currently reading:
General Ducato immobiliser

Bigvee

Good evening all.
I have a 2006 fiat ducato van that’s giving me trouble with the immobiliser. Sometimes it will start first time others it will just keep turning over unless I get out lock it/re arm the alarm and unlock it again. I’ve also had I just cut out and have to go through the same process. Its not worth spending loads on, is it time to move it on?It’s only just started any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers
Bigvee

Good evening all.
I have a 2006 fiat ducato van that’s giving me trouble with the immobiliser. Sometimes it will start first time others it will just keep turning over unless I get out lock it/re arm the alarm and unlock it again. I’ve also had I just cut out and have to go through the same process. Its not worth spending loads on, is it time to move it on?It’s only just started any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers
Bigvee
Hi Bigvee,

Welcome.

A 2006 vehicle can be either an x244, or the replacement x250 version. To determine which you have, check the VIN number either on vehicle plate, or in V5C registration document. Format either xxx244nnnnnnnn, or xxx250nnnnnnnn.

To get relavant help please let the Forum know which version you have, as requsted in welcome sticky, at top of page.

I have a 2006 x244 which has in the last year commenced occasionly displaying the dreaded padlock symbol. So far only one failure to start, but OK at immediate second attempt. On a few other occasions I had not been trying to start the vehicle, just reading the odometer or similar.

It is futile, to continue to use the starter motor, when the padlock symbol does not go out.. Only result will be a flat battery. Like wise on the x244, the central locking should not have any effect, however I think that on the x250 the body computer module (BCM) may be a common factor.

One of the regular forum contributors, @Anthony489, recently ( last 6 months?) had problems with the immobiliser on his x250. Anthony advanced the suggestion that with age, the radio frequency components of the immobiliser go slightly off tune. This results in insufficient signal being received from the RF ID chip in the key fob. One fix that has been mentioned is to remove the chip from the key fob and stick it closer to the ignition switch. However this approach means that the vehicle could be started with an unchipped key. Insurance could be invalidated.

In order to help others with the same problem, please do post any progress or the resolution.

Good evening
Thanks for the reply, I can’t find this welcome sticky???🤷‍♂️ (Just a builder) I have the 250. I’ve just ordered a new battery for the key fob as I will try anything. If that doesn’t work and I remove the chip from the key do I stick it to the side of the ignition barrel?
Any other ideas/help is appreciated thanks
Bigvee

Hi Bigvee

Here's some background information which may help. The key has three things:

1.) Physical metal key blade to engage with ignition switch and door lock
2.) Battery powered remote control code transmitter that transmits up to (say) 50 metres to a receiver in the dash and operates the central locking.
3.) Induction (cordless) powered coded chip that transmits up to (say) 20 mm to a doughnut shaped receiver coil surrounding the ignition switch keyhole, and operates the immobiliser.

The three things are completely independent, so changing the remote locking battery won't affect the immobiliser.

If the vehicle part of the immobiliser can't recognise the code from the chip (or can't even get a coded response from it) the red padlock symbol will stay lit and the engine will turn over but will be prevented from firing up so there is no point in trying. The immobiliser chip is designed to work only over a very short distance, i.e. with the key in or very close to the ignition switch. Once the code is deemed OK and the engine is running it is not allowed to cut out, for obvious safety reasons. However, if things are erratic you could easily find that you start OK first thing in the morning, then switch off to refuel and find that you can't restart.

I'm not aware of any easy way of extracting the coded chip and its own miniature coil from the key fob in order to get it even closer to the receiver coil, but I guess nothing is impossible. As communicator mentions, I have a theory that the coded chip in the key and the vehicle receiver start life properly tuned to the same frequency, but after several years one or the other drifts slightly off tune and things start to become erratic.

Some people have reported that the receiver coil, or the two wires to it, goes faulty. So you could try a replacement if you are prepared to take a chance.

It may be worth trying the van key on its own, i.e. with no key ring or other keys nearby. It may be worth trying another key, if you have one.

As far as I know, the code of the chip in a factory supplied replacement key is fixed. So if you get a new key with a different code, the vehicle part needs to be reprogrammed by a dealer so that the new code is added to its "good" list.

To the best of my knowledge, UK Ducato X250's didn't come with a factory alarm. Some (especially motorhomes) may have had one dealer fitted. They normally have their own independent remote control fob.

If you encounter a DIY fitted alarm, this might also have immobilising features. It may be best to remove or at least bypass it whilst fault finding.

Sorry I can't offer more detailed help.

Hi Bigvee

Here's some background information which may help. The key has three things:

1.) Physical metal key blade to engage with ignition switch and door lock
2.) Battery powered remote control code transmitter that transmits up to (say) 50 metres to a receiver in the dash and operates the central locking.
3.) Induction (cordless) powered coded chip that transmits up to (say) 20 mm to a doughnut shaped receiver coil surrounding the ignition switch keyhole, and operates the immobiliser.

The three things are completely independent, so changing the remote locking battery won't affect the immobiliser.

If the vehicle part of the immobiliser can't recognise the code from the chip (or can't even get a coded response from it) the red padlock symbol will stay lit and the engine will turn over but will be prevented from firing up so there is no point in trying. The immobiliser chip is designed to work only over a very short distance, i.e. with the key in or very close to the ignition switch. Once the code is deemed OK and the engine is running it is not allowed to cut out, for obvious safety reasons. However, if things are erratic you could easily find that you start OK first thing in the morning, then switch off to refuel and find that you can't restart.

I'm not aware of any easy way of extracting the coded chip and its own miniature coil from the key fob in order to get it even closer to the receiver coil, but I guess nothing is impossible. As communicator mentions, I have a theory that the coded chip in the key and the vehicle receiver start life properly tuned to the same frequency, but after several years one or the other drifts slightly off tune and things start to become erratic.

Some people have reported that the receiver coil, or the two wires to it, goes faulty. So you could try a replacement if you are prepared to take a chance.

It may be worth trying the van key on its own, i.e. with no key ring or other keys nearby. It may be worth trying another key, if you have one.

As far as I know, the code of the chip in a factory supplied replacement key is fixed. So if you get a new key with a different code, the vehicle part needs to be reprogrammed by a dealer so that the new code is added to its "good" list.

To the best of my knowledge, UK Ducato X250's didn't come with a factory alarm. Some (especially motorhomes) may have had one dealer fitted. They normally have their own independent remote control fob.

If you encounter a DIY fitted alarm, this might also have immobilising features. It may be best to remove or at least bypass it whilst fault finding.

Sorry I can't offer more detailed help.
Many thanks for your help leave it with me and I will let you know if I get it sorted or 🔥 it 😁

I am having exactly the same problem. Except my ducato is a 2003. I’m not sure what the differences are.

Morning stHawk
Have you got the immobiliser fob and bit on the dash?and a standard key with no buttons?

Back